Sign in to follow this  
GlossBlue

Auto Gearbox Switch

Hi I am looking for more help finding the socket for this switch . I moved over the whole wiring loom engine & under back seat. 520i 95 auto

I have a  wire that  goes to warning lights button &  docket that plugs into gearbox  with one free male socket is this what works my switch if so I am missing a lead to plug into it to connect to the switch. Here is socket with part number.

Here is the switch.

IMG_20191102_111517.jpg

IMG_20191102_111609.jpg

IMG_20191102_111402.jpg

Edited by GlossBlue

It seem now what i did wrong is keep the wrong dash i kept the 89 dash which was a manual car & does not have this switch socket in its loom . Does anyone know the wiring of this switch socket does it go back to one of the sockets in passenger footwell i have another spare loom that comes from backseat that has the sunroof switch socket on it i can cut this from this loom to work the sports gearbox switch if i can find out where it goes too thanks. 

You need to use the loom from your auto. That is a 95 car so presumably the TCM was in the e-box? If not it will have been behind the driver's floor speaker. The plug on the TCM will have 3 wires going to the switch plug:

Yellow/white

Yellow/blue

Yellow/green

The switch plug will also have another 2 wires:

Grey/red - lighting

Brown - lighting and mode selection ground (in conjunction with the 3 above)

Read that people have used the sunroof switch in place of the mode switch. Never tried it but you can always ohm it out to check if it works before fitting 

Edited by whiskychaser

MY Gearbox ECU IS in engine driver side all wires enter the car at passenger side footwell & join up with under rear seat electrics . The dash then plugs in also to take connection over to steering wheel . its this dash is where my problem is i will go out & check for these wires under steering wheel & get back to you thanks.

If you don't have them already, here is a link to the wiring diagrams. They are for a '94 and are the only ones I have ever found for the 520i. But I doubt there will be many changes between '94 and '95.

https://varuosatark.ee/documents/manuals/5_series_e34_electric_systems.pdf 

On 14/11/2019 at 09:50, whiskychaser said:

If you don't have them already, here is a link to the wiring diagrams. They are for a '94 and are the only ones I have ever found for the 520i. But I doubt there will be many changes between '94 and '95.

https://varuosatark.ee/documents/manuals/5_series_e34_electric_systems.pdf 

Sorry back to you again I decided to look up the wiring loom than to go cutting into it . Can you tell me which loom the plug is on as they are 2 looms under the dash 1 that crosses over from the passenger footwell in the dash & the other crosses over from P/ footwell loose across the A/C CENTER Box to steering wheel. I hope its this one as it will make it easier for breaker to remove & post on to me. Thanks. 

Edited by GlossBlue

I must have my stupid head on because I don't understand why you can't use the wiring you already have. I don't know which loom is which but the diagrams confirm:

X6053 is a black 12 pin connector. That is on the right side of the dash and feeds the switch on the gear lever

X6003 is a black 8 pin connector. That is in the e-box and feeds the mode switch.

If it were me, I'd run the two together but I don't think they actually did that.

From what I can see, 3 wires from the mode switch go to that plug.  There is also one to the cluster too - probably so the cluster shows which mode you selected. But there is also a wire from the kick-down switch. Have you found that one?

yes i found a wire with no connection on it so i put a fitting on it . It looks to be either red or brown with yellow stripe. I take it to be the kickdown wire as its  going to driver speaker footwell.

IMG_20191124_155717.jpg

Edited by GlossBlue

Don't know what that is. I think the wire for the kick down should be grey/yellow and run all the way from the switch to pin 18 of the TCM (via connector X6003) in that colour. The pin numbers are stamped into the TCM socket if you want to check. They are quite small but you should be able to read them. Other than starting at the TCM and following the wiring, I am not sure what else you can do

Back again i had no luck tracking down the right wiring loom this is the one i need but it costs 400 euro from BMW Part number 7 

so i am going with using a sunroof switch i have & join it into the loom; THERE are 3 yellow wires on it does anyone know the wiring of these pins on the socket  so i wont wire it wrong .I also found the kickdown wire it comes into a plug from ecu to steering wheel  where it connects to another socket . if i just tap onto this grey wire & run it to the kickdown switch it should solve that problem.

IMG_20191222_163920.jpg