Craig David

Magic potions?

Do you recommend any?

The Jaguar forum was very positive about Oxicat so I did use that a few times. My XF didn't have any engine / pollution clean up system issues in about 100,000 miles -  but maybe it wouldn't have anyway.

I also used a bottle of MIllers Diesel Additive as someone I thought knew their onioins recommended it. Again,hard to say if there were any real benefits. 

I'm tempted to use both (not at the same time!) in my 530d. Any thoughts?

I don't know if its any good or its just snake oil, but BMW already do their own fuel additive for diesel & petrol you can read their claims here.

https://www.group1auto.co.uk/bmw/bmw-fuel-additive

9 hours ago, Spreadly said:

BMW don't recommend the use of them. Personally, I stay well away.

They changed their tune since E39 days and do list fuel additives as suitable for use.

I used fuel additives in my E39 as I had some left over from my Senator.  Didn't notice any difference.

I ran the E60's on VPower and the F10 gets a mix of VPower and Shell Unleaded.  Don't notice any difference.

I think they are a bit

8 hours ago, Oilburner said:

snake oil,

and the real key to good engine health now that both petrol and diesel engines are direct injection is to use decent fuel (every other tank full of VPower)  in the first place, halve the recommended BMW oil change interval and more frequent engine air filter changes.

The only additives I put in the 530d are Extralube ZX-1 once every 6 months (either side of winter) and CataClean before I drive back to UK for the MoT.

Apart from that, just decent fuels (Shell, Esso, Aral(BP)) and plenty of blasts up the autobahn to keep the pipes clean.

I use Archoil 6200 in my diesels, the EGR on my 530d at 113k miles was absolutely clean as a whistle. 

This is a good video showing how effective it was with the Ford V8 diesel that was having all sorts off issues when used by the services in the States, blocking up DPFs etc. 

I also use the friction modifier when I do and oil change, that definitely makes a difference to how smooth the engine runs. 

On 01/11/2019 at 08:26, 535i Andrew said:

......the F10 gets a mix of VPower and Shell Unleaded.  Don't notice any difference.

I would run it soley on 98/99 ron. 

After 2-3 tanks full you will feel the difference. 

My 335i used to have a really noticeable drop in power when Fiona used to put 95 ron in it. Annoyingly it took 2 sometimes 3 tanks to get it back again. 

We rolling roaded it to see how much difference there was, it was 331hp on the 98 and down to just over 300hp when we stuck 95 in it. 

The knock sensor is pretty aggressive on these. 

The other thing was I always used to crack 30mpg a tank on 98, as soon as 95 went in it would be 26, 27 at a push, so no real cost savings. 

Tesco 99 was good and same sort of price as Shell 95 too. 

There was lots of shouts of 'snake oil' on the E90 forum and one of the guys from Evolve said of course it isn't snake oil, that is how BMW set up the cars. Set up for Super Unleaded, with official figures for power and mpg for that fuel, but you can put in 95 and it will retard the timing to cope with it. 

He did a rolling road and posted the figures. I will try and find them. 

I'll investigate that on continued running on VPower, current mpg is 24.1mpg.;)

I can't remember what this tankful is but the last two were Tesco 99 as I had money off vouchers. Mpg average has been sub 25 recently due to idling to thaw it out in the frosty mornings of late.

You tend to notice it more when you go back to 95 after a few tanks. Throttle response seems a bit lacking, almost like it is between comfort and ECO. 

17 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Throttle response seems a bit lacking, almost like it is between comfort and ECO. 

As much as that? Eco reminds me of the responsiveness you get from a car when towing a caravan. It's a massive difference in mine between Eco and comfort. 

Maybe I should have said between comfort and sport then. 
But the throttle response just seems so lacking when you go back to 95ron, obviously you soon get used to it, but it is how I knew she had filled up with 95 again. 

It sort of felt like the sport mode without holding onto the gears so much and using the top gear too. 

It is more subtle than that, but it is enough of a difference, and with the gained economy, made it a no brainer to use it. Plus they tend to put more cleaning additives in the super unleaded, so no reason not to use it. 

Edited by gIzzE