Sign in to follow this  
Bronson

Possibly buying an E32. Looking for advice

I am to go and look at a 728i 1987 in the next couple of days. It's automatic, I'm told. The head was replaced with a new one at some stage it seems. I don't know the mileage, but seeing as it's nearly 33 years old, I'm guessing it won't be very low, although it has been off the road for the last while. How long that while is, I have to find out.

Ideally I am keeping an eye out for an early 525i, but this came my way. Apart from the dreaded tin worm, what else should I be looking out for that an E32 is noted for in terms of possible problems. I'm told the car drives, but could do with a hand.The price so far is " handy money", and since it's only a handy 10 minute spin from me, I'll take a look at it. Being a 728, I assume it has an M30 engine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So had a look at the car. Turns out there were two there. A 728 E23 and a 730i E32 beside each other. They were out under the weather for the last few years. The E23 I wasn't really interested in, but the 730i did. It'd need a good clean. The owner said he has the full service history, and every receipt from new, including the bill of sale. Unfortunately, we couldn't open it, and on a day when the rain was in full swing, we decided to give it a go at the weekend.

He told me it got a new head and timing chain about 4000 miles ago. I know the place where the work was done, and know it's of the best standard, done by an ex BMW mechanic. It will need recommissioning, truth be told. Things like tyres, (non metric) a windscreen because it's cracked.I know one jacking point is not good, and a strap for the fuel tank is broken, but I can put it up on a lift to inspect it fully.

But as it stands, it's not looking to bad.