c00lh4nd

New 540i - Couple of questions if I may

HI All

Well I have said goodbye to my first BMW after 3 years. So long 535d M Sport Tourer and hello brand spanking new 540i M-Sport saloon. Yes I have been bitten and starting to think I have BMW blue blood in my veins. I do have a couple of questions that have occurred to me that perhaps you more experienced can help with..

1) What is Active Guard?

2) What is "Cruise Control with Braking"?

3) I neglected to get Split Read Seats <doh> so what will I get?

I hope you can help

Regards

C00lhand

Edited by c00lh4nd
Spelling

1) active guard is your basic safety systems, This will have pedestrian detection, vehicle detection and auto braking (may be more advanced if you have a post July 2019 bulid car with new iDrive 7)

2) just normal cruise control. Braking means you can break the car by decreasing speed on cruise setting

3) nothing, no folding at all. Fixed rear seat with lowered arm rest in middle seat

Cruise control with braking (which means you don’t need to touch the pedals until you want to stop or accelerate above the set speed)  you set the speed which the car will maintain, using the brakes  if necessary to maintain that speed, - such as when going down hill and the momentum takes the car above the set speed.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Cruse brakes a bit too often for my liking unless the road’s particularly flat. On an undulating road you can feel the brakes coming on gently quite often for mild overspeeding which a driver on manual wouldn’t normally do. Can’t do much for pad life. I only ever use cruise in eco where the default is freewheel, the rest of the time I use limit which doesn’t brake and makes things more driveable.

Edited by Boba

Thanks All.

So Cruise control with brakes is ordinary cruise control. It just adjusts the speed to compensate for hiils. As for the separated backseats, yep dropped the ball there :-( Hey ho, I am sure the car will compensate in other ways :-)

Thank you again for the responses.

If you don't have split fold there is no other fold feature. The seat back is fixed in place. The option that I most regret not speccing is the spare wheel. It includes a false boot floor and looks relatively neat, although you do lose some boot height. It is removable if you want more space sometimes. It looks good value (and you can't say that for many options!).

19 hours ago, jonbee said:

If you don't have split fold there is no other fold feature. The seat back is fixed in place. The option that I most regret not speccing is the spare wheel. It includes a false boot floor and looks relatively neat, although you do lose some boot height. It is removable if you want more space sometimes. It looks good value (and you can't say that for many options!).

Looked at a car with the spare wheel, would be as well speccing a letter box

19 hours ago, McFar67 said:

As a hybrid driver, I echo this sentiment. The boot height is pretty terrible. We 'e' drivers, however, have no choice in this matter

I never bothered with space saver on my G30 as i knew it would drive far better on normal run flat tyres, however, my X5 has ample underfloor storage in the boot (you could fit several days shopping under there) and my god is it underappreciated. Having a tidy boot, not cluttered with junk is very satisfying. 

On 16/10/2019 at 18:33, McFar67 said:

It’s a long time since I owned a saloon as the boot space isn’t adequate IMHO. Couldn’t even fit our holiday luggage into the G30, far less the frequent runs to the tip with garden trash. Hence my preference for the tourer, though even then I’d grudge allocating space and weight to a spare wheel.

12 minutes ago, Boba said:

far less the frequent runs to the tip with garden trash

We have a family shit box that, or my mums car as its known officially. 06 plate Renault  Megane 1/5 dCi with 124k miles, optional extras include the smoke screen (james bond-esq) above 4k rpm and a scrape/dent on EVERY. It must have done around 25 runs to the tip just this summer throughout my house renovation/move alone and I even had 42 Thermalite blocks in it at one point. It soldiers on very bravely and I will miss it dearly when they day comes to leave it in a ditch haha

But i'd never use something as nice as a G30 to go to the tip!

54 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Can’t justify a banger just for tip runs and Mrs. A doesn’t drive nowadays, so the G31 is pressed into service for everything from weddings to the tip. (Actually apparently it’s a recycling centre so far less downmarket ;) ). The last one carried the slabs, sand and cement for a path!

But as a concession it’s got a decent boot liner, ceramic coating and I keep it very tidy so don’t despair! :D

Edited by Boba

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

If only I had the choice - was part of the agreement with senior management when financial approval was granted for purchase :rolleyes:

100% no brainier in our family for several reasons:

a) my mum can’t be trusted with a nice car. She once had an Audi A4 (fairly newish) and still under dealer warranty. It developed some sort of fault (apparently we’ll known) where it would use up a lot of oil. The car told her to top up but she chose to ignore it. She run it dry, seized the engine. Warranty did not cover as the error light was on for 9k Miles.

b) it cost us £790 in June 2016. Has done 40k miles since and uses an average of 50.9 mpg (mainly city driving!), costs £140 to insure a year with 4 drivers and £20 to tax. Oil changes on the driveway

c) had some skirting boards in it today. Decided to cut them up so didn't have to have the window open as it’s a bit gloomy, did have 3.2 meter lengths in before mind you