Jump to content
Mjm599

530i and 520i G30 difference?

Recommended Posts

Hi all

 

i know in the G30 both the 530i and 520i are 4 cylinder engines with 520 having 181BHP and 530 having 250bhp.

 

so if they are the same 4 cyclinder, what other differences are there to make the 530i have 70 more BHP?

 

i know with the F10 after 2013 there was a 520d and 525d that we’re both 4 cylinder but the 525d has 220BHP versus 520d 190bhp so maybe it’s a similar setup? 
 

possibly a better turbo and remap for the 530i as standard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought my 530i I asked the same question to the BMW genius person and they said it comes with a bigger turbo and engine remap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mjm599 said:

Ah ok so that must mean all other components must be sufficient to deal with extra torque and bhp such as gearbox, drivetrain etc 

 

I believe so. You can remap the 530i to about 310 due to the bigger turbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The turbo is the same on both the 520i and 530i.

 

From checking the part numbers and info from other forums the only differences appear to be different pistons and the software tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Zerouali said:

The turbo is the same on both the 520i and 530i.

 

From checking the part numbers and info from other forums the only differences appear to be different pistons and the software tune.

 

Interesting - of course I'm only going on the info from the dealer which could admittedly be wrong.

 

Although if the 520i only maps to 260odd and you can map the 530i to 310, I'd expect more differences than just the pistons? Or would that be enough for the extra power?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDX-90 said:

 

Interesting - of course I'm only going on the info from the dealer which could admittedly be wrong.

 

Although if the 520i only maps to 260odd and you can map the 530i to 310, I'd expect more differences than just the pistons? Or would that be enough for the extra power?

Bear in mind the engine would have been designed to cope with the 530i power from the start then downtuned to the 520i power rather than the other way round, so software will account for the majority of the difference, but the different pistons in the 530i will be related to the slightly lower compression ratio to allow higher boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone done a tune to their 520i?  I’m tempted to look into it. Although the warranty ramifications are also something to think about.   Certainly seems this motor can handle quite a bit more power....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FerrisB said:

Has anyone done a tune to their 520i?  I’m tempted to look into it. Although the warranty ramifications are also something to think about.   Certainly seems this motor can handle quite a bit more power....

 

Plenty of B48 engines remapped to in excess of 300bhp (Mini JCW - starts off with around 230) and in excess of 250 (Mini Cooper S - 190 stock just as a 520i)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different pistons would be quite a big change, is this to do with the extra heat/stress of the higher tune...are they forged over say cast in the 520 as if so that a pretty significant difference (and more expensive to change then swapping for a bigger turbo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve911 said:

Different pistons would be quite a big change, is this to do with the extra heat/stress of the higher tune...are they forged over say cast in the 520 as if so that a pretty significant difference (and more expensive to change then swapping for a bigger turbo).

 

 

 

The 320i pistons are the same as the 340i pistons, so it’s not to do with stresses.

 

I think the pistons are slightly shorter in the 330i which results in a reduced compression ratio, enabling higher boost. As far as I can tell that’s it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×