Sign in to follow this  
iGideon97

BMW 523i manual to auto swap questions

Hey all!

So, i'm new here, since this seems to be a busy forum, compared to ours in The Netherlands.

So i've gotten my hands on a mint 520i, and it was a pleasure to drive, until I drove the 523i of a friend of me, that has an automatic transmission.

From that moment I knew, that I wanted an autobox also.

So, a friend of me got to work, and managed to swap the M52B20, to a M52B25 with an ZF 5HP18 transmisson on it.

And after some wiring fiddling, it shifts amazing, drives well, and all the functions seem to work, except:

My instrument cluster does not show which gear i'm in, so I always have to look at the shifter itself, and that is a little distracting at some busy parking lots.

Also, I have no reverse lights whatsoever, so i'm a little worried about my MOT next year.

Also, my car does not have the steptronic transmission, it's the older style transmission shifter with PRNDS432.

So to sum it up, my car / body is an manual 520i saloon, that has been swapped to a 523i.

Also, cruise does not always engage until the torque converter locks up, then it works flawles (+50mph)

Thanks in advance :)

20181201_155120.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-015217_Video Player.jpg

Cluster needs to be coded with for example NCS expert. This cluster coding also affects the reverse lighting because on auto the reverse info comes from EGS (auto gearbox control module) via CAN-bus to instrument cluster and from there to other modules like LCM (light module). 

On 10/10/2019 at 10:40, Clavurion said:

Cluster needs to be coded with for example NCS expert. This cluster coding also affects the reverse lighting because on auto the reverse info comes from EGS (auto gearbox control module) via CAN-bus to instrument cluster and from there to other modules like LCM (light module). 

So if my mechanic and I hook up our laptop, and we code the cluster, the reverse light etc will work?

Because with Delphi and INPA we can see the EGS giving the reverse signal etc.