astronaut

F10 EGR cooler actuator and Turbo

Hi All,

I recently got drivetrain warning on my F10 and it went into limp mode. When I took it to the BMW dealership, I have been told that the EGR cooler actuator has been broken and it caused damages to the turbo and both needs to be replaced. The EGR cooler has been replaced 32 months ago at my expense and I have been told that the actuator also comes with it. I had received the EGR cooler recall notice from BMW early this year and when I took it to the dealership for the replacement, they advised me that it is not applicable for my car. But the same component failed again in 32 months (10 months after receiving the recall notice) under 15000 miles since the replacement and cost me a huge bill. I am not an expert in car mechanics but I think it happened due to the dodgy EGR coolers in BMWs and poor customer service from BMW dealerships. I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on this issue or if I could raise a complaint with BMW and can they help?

JV

Hi,

I would definitely look to reach out to BMW directly and see what advice they can offer. 

15,000 miles for an EGR cooler is by no means its 'normal life'. 

good luck, do let us know how you get on. 

Yeah, I am planning to contact BMW. When I asked the dealership about the life expectancy of EGR cooler, they told me that the problem is with the actuator that comes with the EGR cooler, not the cooler itself. And I am confused!

Yeah, I am planning to contact BMW. When I asked the dealership about the life expectancy of EGR cooler, they told me that the problem is with the actuator that comes with the EGR cooler, not the cooler itself. And I am confused!
It sounds like they are fobbing you off. Take it further.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, astronaut said:

The EGR Valve has 2 components. The Valve itself that I assume is being referred to as the actuator and the cooler. It must be the valve that packed up causing the damage. 

Mathew is correct the EGR valve has an electronic actuator to open and close the valve.  It would be more likely for the valve to bung up and stick.  You have to wonder when and how the actuator was broken.  I suspect that they just deal with the EGR cooler as part of the recall or do they replace the whole thing?

52 minutes ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

Mathew is correct the EGR valve has an electronic actuator to open and close the valve.  It would be more likely for the valve to bung up and stick.  You have to wonder when and how the actuator was broken.  I suspect that they just deal with the EGR cooler as part of the recall or do they replace the whole thing?

In many cases only the cooler is replaced. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

My first thought was that they are two separate parts and asked the dealership if the actuator can be replaced without the EGR cooler but I have been told that they comes together and cannot be replaced separately. If that’s the case, every recall and replacements should fit a new EGR cooler and actuator. Is it not true?

My first thought was that they are two separate parts and asked the dealership if the actuator can be replaced without the EGR cooler but I have been told that they comes together and cannot be replaced separately. If that’s the case, every recall and replacements should fit a new EGR cooler and actuator. Is it not true?
No, they may have only replaced the cooler.

My cooler was replaced on the recall not fitted properly and melted other components, bmw said only the cooler was replaced in the recall but if they were doing it as a job not a recall then the valve and cooler would be replaced 

My cooler was replaced on the recall not fitted properly and melted other components, bmw said only the cooler was replaced in the recall but if they were doing it as a job not a recall then the valve and cooler would be replaced 
On my recall they replaced both.