ally

Cruise Control in Eco Pro Mode

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. 
When I use cruise control in Eco Pro Mode, the car often slows down by as much as 4mph, for no good reason. I know it will coast now and then, but it should still maintain the set speed or only drop by 1mph before it sees it is slowing down, this can cause issues on motorways and dual carriageways, especially when overtaking. 
It doesn’t do this in Comfort, it maintains the set speed then. 

Anyone else seen this happen? 
TIA

If you look at the speedometer in eco mode you’ll see that the set speed in cruise is represented by a short green band. In comfort/sport it’s represented by a triangle. Cruise in eco is happy so long as the car in in the band of (as you say) a few mph. And as you say it’s not very practical on a busy motorway (it’s ok in normal traffic though).

1 hour ago, ally said:

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. 
When I use cruise control in Eco Pro Mode, the car often slows down by as much as 4mph, for no good reason. I know it will coast now and then, but it should still maintain the set speed or only drop by 1mph before it sees it is slowing down, this can cause issues on motorways and dual carriageways, especially when overtaking. 
It doesn’t do this in Comfort, it maintains the set speed then. 

Anyone else seen this happen? 
TIA

That's exactly what mine does too.  Only happens when it's coasting.  It's slow to switch of the coasting function and re-engage the drive, so it slows down to much then re-engages with a bit of a jerk.  Doesn't happen in Comfort, Sport or Adaptive, where it's just fine.

Yeah this is by design as per Boba.

Not something I agree with particularly, but I quite rarely cruise in eco as it's irritating.

Yeah - drives me nuts (we discussed this a few years ago). I don't mind the principle, just wished it was a little smarter/more configurable. I ended up turning it off.

I've used cruise control in eco pro loads of times for long distances and this hasn't happened to me.

Could it be software versions?

2 hours ago, JDX-90 said:

I've used cruise control in eco pro loads of times for long distances and this hasn't happened to me.

Could it be software versions?

Is your marker on the dash for Cruise a thin pointed arrow or a broader line (as if to cover a range of speeds rather than 1 set speed) ?

1 hour ago, CFD said:

Is your marker on the dash for Cruise a thin pointed arrow or a broader line (as if to cover a range of speeds rather than 1 set speed) ?

The marker is the same in Eco Pro as Comfort and Sport, fairly sure it's an arrow but can check later.

13 hours ago, JDX-90 said:

The marker is the same in Eco Pro as Comfort and Sport, fairly sure it's an arrow but can check later.

I checked this tonight and I stand corrected! The eco pro marker covers a range of speeds rather than the arrow on a set speed. 

Although I haven't experienced the behaviour described above when I've used this on long distances. Maybe this depends on the route and how steep the inclines are?

Thanks for all the replies folks. 
Seems like it’s intentional design then, but not the best idea in my book 

11 hours ago, JDX-90 said:

I checked this tonight and I stand corrected! The eco pro marker covers a range of speeds rather than the arrow on a set speed. 

Although I haven't experienced the behaviour described above when I've used this on long distances. Maybe this depends on the route and how steep the inclines are?

No. As far as I can tell its not related to inclines at all - happens on pretty flat sections too.. If anything, the car has a sense of humour - it waits till I pull out to overtake....

If economy is what you want, that sort of behaviour is good for economy. If you imagine an undulating road then the car will be applying the throttle on uphill sections then the brakes on downhill. There comes a point where that is wasteful, as the cruise control would be better to allow some over speed on a downhill then be below the target speed uphill. From a economy perspective of course.

This is correct by design, and allows +- 4mph from the set speed.

You can go into the Eco Pro Individual setting and untick Cruise, which then gives you the same cruise control spec as the other modes.

This then gives you full eco mode which has the speed range, and eco individual without it.  Just press the eco button to select which mode you want at that time.

Edited by Saftlad

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:01, G Whizz said:

No. As far as I can tell its not related to inclines at all - happens on pretty flat sections too.. If anything, the car has a sense of humour - it waits till I pull out to overtake....

I'm with you there! It picks all the right moments to slow down, like when another car is on your back bumper.....:unsure:

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:40, Runningman said:

If economy is what you want, that sort of behaviour is good for economy. If you imagine an undulating road then the car will be applying the throttle on uphill sections then the brakes on downhill. There comes a point where that is wasteful, as the cruise control would be better to allow some over speed on a downhill then be below the target speed uphill. From a economy perspective of course.

Absolutely

8 hours ago, Saftlad said:

You can go into the Eco Pro Individual setting and untick Cruise, which then gives you the same cruise control spec as the other modes.

This then gives you full eco mode which has the speed range, and eco individual without it.  Just press the eco button to select which mode you want at that time.

Ideal, many thanks. I already configued Eco Pro Individual to keep the air con on, but never noticed that setting.

It's good to have the choice of both, for when conditions suit.

On 12/10/2019 at 13:49, Saftlad said:

I don't have the cruise option in mine?

I only have eco pro limit, seat climate, climate, light and sight, route ahead assistant?

15 hours ago, JDX-90 said:

I don't have the cruise option in mine?

I only have eco pro limit, seat climate, climate, light and sight, route ahead assistant?

Yeah to be fair I don't think it's in mine from memory, either. Could be a software update brought the parameter in?

My car also a '68, FWIW