Sign in to follow this  
nealpina

Purchased my B10 10 years ago today

The most pleasurable experience in the B10 must be ALPINA 50th Birthday celebration at Buchloe (ALPINA factory).  I realised the true power of this beast on the autobahns.  I started off driving the car as if I was on the UK Motorways missing out gears, but quickly was redlining through every gear and the power delivery was just amazing.  On the way home I had a nice stretch of autobahn, I therefore just put my right foot to the floor, I was not aiming for the car’s top speed, but when I looked at the TomTom it said 260KMH which is 162.5MPH and I could feel there was more power available.

I love the long shift gearbox, the clutch, and most people who haven’t driven the B10 do not understand that this is one of the few manual cars which is effortless to drive in traffic.  Due to the limitations of the E39 handbrake - hill starts are interesting at times.  The LHD wipers is limiting in the rain.  Even with these and some other minor design oversights these can be quickly dismissed due to the driving pleasure of this ultimate car.  Do I regret not having a V8? Not at all there is something really special about this straight six engine.  I respect the V8 engine, and if my B3 was a manual or I had purchased a B8 4.6 there would have been a good chance I brought a B10 v8 instead because of the Switch-Tronic gearbox.   Due to how special my B10 3.3 is, I don’t feel the necessity to replace it with a V8

There are only a few cars which I have driven that tick all the boxes of me being tempted of owning instead of my B10, but I still can’t see myself selling my B10 or B3 because I am still passionate about them and the ALPINA brand. The most noticeable car which does tick all my boxes is a Porsche Panamera S 4.8 in either form a rare manual or PDK. 

My B10 will be 20 years old next year but is still one of the nicest and ultimate cars to drive

Edited by nealpina

Neal, great post. Even today, there is not a journey goes by without me regretting selling No 138 a couple of years ago. Utterly amazing car with a stunning engine. 

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:28, ATOHT said:

Neal, great post. Even today, there is not a journey goes by without me regretting selling No 138 a couple of years ago. Utterly amazing car with a stunning engine. 

Agreed and unfortunately these are the cars we will always fondly look back when we do sale