LifeOfDesire

What brands to use for filters and brake pads?

I have a 4 filter service coming up soon as well as a front and rear brake pad change. Not keen on going to the dealer since it's a 2011 520d with 80k odd miles, so I would prefer to buy the parts myself then have an indy do it. Coming from an E39 I am used to using Bosch for everything, so I was just wondering if BMW still used Bosch for the F10 and whether Bosch parts would still be the best for quality and compatibility or whether I should use a different brand?

Thanks.

I replaced my cabin filters on my 2014 530d earlier this year. I'd already bought some Mahle filters from Opie Oils, along with air and fuel filters. When I took out the old cabin filters they were BMW branded Mahle items which had been fitted by BMW while the was still being serviced by them.

Old and new filters side...

20190814-130439.jpg

I've not done the air or fuel filters yet so can't say for sure what's in there but it looks like Mahle stuff us up to BMW standards.

I'd say go for the Mahle items as iirc they were slightly better priced but I'm sure the Bosch ones will work just as well if you'd rather stick with what you know. 

I fitted Brembo discs and pads from Euro Car Parts which are working well for me but I've read others having a less positive experience with Brembo discs from ECP so would hesitate to fully recommend them.

47 minutes ago, LifeOfDesire said:

I have a 4 filter service coming up soon as well as a front and rear brake pad change. Not keen on going to the dealer since it's a 2011 520d with 80k odd miles, so I would prefer to buy the parts myself then have an indy do it. Coming from an E39 I am used to using Bosch for everything, so I was just wondering if BMW still used Bosch for the F10 and whether Bosch parts would still be the best for quality and compatibility or whether I should use a different brand?

Thanks.

In addition to @Cadwell Parker recommendation, try getting a quote for brake parts from the forum sponsor - Cotswold BMW, found on the front page of this site where you can also request a quote. I like genuine parts where I can get them at decent price and for brakes they were quite reasonable. On my wife's 2 series I replaced the rear pads recently with PAGID parts and a genuine brake wear sensor and they are perfect. When I serviced my old F11 I used a genuine oil filter and Shell Engine Oil (Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30)

Air filters from BMW are Mann.

image.jpg

Oil filters are also Mann.

9-C7-C910-A-2-B4-D-439-A-AE3-D-073-F602-

When buying non genuine parts stick to OEM for such critical components such as the oil filter but bear in mind the above genuine filter was only £13.44 and it came with the necessary seals and a new copper sump plug washer.  I'm not sure if all the after market stuff does.

A9398-A67-682-B-4-FCD-BA78-E7-A7-F26-BD6

Front brake pads are Galfer. There are no manufacturers logos on the discs.

IMG-4266-Galfer-and-ATE.jpg

BMW next month may use Mahle branded filters. They have many suppliers.

BMW parts are not that expensive. I've a good relationship with my local dealer who gives me good rates. Cotswold's, the forum sponsor are very good too. Plus the big thing for me is that genuine parts fit perfectly when fitting them too. ECP are very expensive nowadays and deliberately keep prices high (greater than BMW in my experience) for non genuine parts so they can dazzle you with big % discounts or bogofs. 

I tend to use Bosch filters & Pagid brakes. Mann stuff is good too (as pointed out above) and Pagid pads & discs have always worked well for me.

ECP are horrendous to deal with, but look up which pads/discs you need first on brakebook.com, then make sure the packaging labels matches the parts that ECP hand over the counter to you.

I now prefer to use autodoc , every single time I've ordered I've had a call to confirm vin number and a callback again to confirm correct parts and despatch date. Can't fault them, with the app discount (up to 27%) they're very competitive

Thanks everyone for the comments, this is what I will be going with for my full service + pads, totalling £161.91. If I'm paying drastically too much someone please let me know. Mann didn't do an activated carbon pollen filter it seems. Also not sure if I will need new pad wear sensors but they were £10 each so no trouble if I do.

fEDld6A.png

I have been using onlinecarparts.co.uk (basically AutoDoc under a different name) since they seem to be cheapest. Only downside is shipping from Germany takes time.

Edited by LifeOfDesire

If you are changing brake pads then you need new wear sensor to allow the service in the idrive to be reset.

Ideally the pollen filters should be activated carbon types.

My genuine air and oil filter were about those prices. But my petrol engine has different shaped oil and air filters so not quite a direct comparison.

If it were my car I wouldn't be rushing to choose Bosch pads as to me Bosch make dishwashers, watching machines and wiper blades. I would trust critical components in charge of stopping to well known brake manufacturers such as ATE, Brembo, Textar, Jurid, Pagid etc. But that's just my opinion. Spend money on brakes don't save it. Brakes are like tyres, very subjective.;)

If it were my car I wouldn't be rushing to choose Bosch pads as to me Bosch make dishwashers, watching machines and wiper blades.

And Steering racks, alternators, engine sensors, ABS systems (the first to market) and the list goes on. I wouldn't discount Bosch as they are a quality automotive parts manufacturer. I used to sell Bosch car parts in the 80's from our hardware shop in South Africa.

Edited by Matthew Ashton