oldjohnny

Gearbox Serviced. Scary Discovery.

Well at long last that's the box on the late 2003 530d serviced.  I wonder can anyone better this.  I knew the sump had been visibly siliconed to stop a leak but the engineer who did the service discovered this.  Sump siliconed AND the gasket and bolts. literally had to break most of them free. Then the scary bit.  No more than 3-3.5 litres of fluid came out!  Nearly eight went in. The box had been changing ok as long as I didn't floor it.  Been driving it gently for over two years now and God knows how long it had been like this beforehand.  The old sump magnets were as clean as a whistle.  No trace of any escapees from within.  Changed the tubes, sleeve, and the double rectangular seal.  Now driving as smooth as silk with great throttle response and very little pressure needed on the pedal to reach 65-70 quickly.    157k on the clock so i hope to get a wee while out of it yet.  Only query I have is this.   Is it really necessary to reset the new oil adaptations as discussed earlier?  This guy is a Mercedes technician and has never done this on any Mercs after g/box services.  Didn't have a Carly or equivalent available but will do it next week if it is deemed important.

Ideally the adaptations should be cleared but if not the car will.....adapt.

The gearbox has probably had to compensate a lot with the low oil level. Over time it'll adjust itself for optimal gear changes.

Usually you get 6 to 7 litres out and back in. The gearbox takes around 9 litres but 3 tends to stay in the torque converter.

I would get them reset after running so low on fluid so the car knows to relearn rather than adapt over thousands of miles.

Many thanks.

Will do just that as I don't do thousands of miles nowdays.  It could well need some other update or something anyway so will pay a visit to my local auto electricians who have all the latest gear for this.

9 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

Many thanks.

Will do just that as I don't do thousands of miles nowdays.  It could well need some other update or something anyway so will pay a visit to my local auto electricians who have all the latest gear for this.

Or you could put a shout out for anyone with Carly to do it for you for beer tokens :)

Software updates on a car that old if it never had any could take hours and end up being expensive m8. Mine was a 2010 model and took 2 hours.

I'd be very cautious about getting software updates on the E60\E61. It needs absolutely the right equipment or you can "brick" one of the many modules around the car. "Brick" as in turning it into something as useful as a brick.

Resetting parameters is different and relatively safe. Many code readers, like a C310, or the Carly app can do that. It might be cheaper to buy (from ebay) a C110 or C310 than pay a garage to reset the adaptations.

Have you ever thought of becoming a clairvoyant?

Had this exact chat last night and agreed it made more sense to buy the Carly set up, although following your advice I have bid on a C310 so will wait and see.  It would be more than enough for my needs I think. 

Update.  Just bought this C310 for BMW, as new with film still on the scanner.  £25 plus £5 postage.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by oldjohnny
Update.

1 hour ago, oldjohnny said:

Have you ever thought of becoming a clairvoyant?

Had this exact chat last night and agreed it made more sense to buy the Carly set up, although following your advice I have bid on a C310 so will wait and see.  It would be more than enough for my needs I think. 

Update.  Just bought this C310 for BMW, as new with film still on the scanner.  £25 plus £5 postage.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

s-l1600.jpg

Have you managed to reset any of the adaptations with this device ^ ?

I have an identical FCR and it refuses point blank to reset anything even though the option is there.  It just tells me that the option isn't available!

Cripes I hope I've not misled you Johnny. I've seen these in use and they work really well, quicker and easier than a laptop. They also work with quite a few BMWs where the PC leads tend to be quite specific to the car year.....however I haven't personally reset any settings with one.

Looked it up on youtube first where a video demo made me happy enough to take a punt at it.  Great reviews for engine, auto transmission. abs, airbag, air con settings etc, specific to BMW.

Tell you better by next weekend. If it's a dud I will give it to the mother in law for Christmas!

2 hours ago, Haych said:

Have you managed to reset any of the adaptations with this device ^ ?

I have an identical FCR and it refuses point blank to reset anything even though the option is there.  It just tells me that the option isn't available!

Probably one of the many fakes floating about?

16 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

Looked it up on youtube first where a video demo made me happy enough to take a punt at it.  Great reviews for engine, auto transmission. abs, airbag, air con settings etc, specific to BMW.

Tell you better by next weekend. If it's a dud I will give it to the mother in law for Christmas!

I think I may have got things a bit bassackwards, but I can’t remember exactly. I remember trying to do something with it and it refusing telling me it wasn’t an available option, despite it being an available option :s

I updated to the latest software version this afternoon and gearbox adaptation seems to work - or at least it isn’t refusing any more. I tried the option and got as far as the do you really want to screw up your gearbox warning message and then chickened out. 

I’m sure it used to do throttle adaptation reset too but can’t seem to find this option now. Perhaps it’s under the options when you auto-select the car. I always find that slower so usually opt to manually select which car I have. 

It’s still a very useful tool though. It reads and clears codes and the ability to read the live data stream is extremely useful.