Jump to content
mmsa12

(Resolved) E60 Sport 2005 - Crank no start (sometimes dies immediately)

Recommended Posts

Are the codes you're getting obtained using DIS as I'm sure there is a smooth running test that can be done. Not sure if it would get to the point of starting but it may give you pointers as to where to start looking fwiw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think it really sounds like a fueling problem.. if ur 100% sure it's not the pumps. I'd look at the injectors.. look on diagnostics for an injector out off spec and then a leak off test on the injectors. Do you have any codes at the minute.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignoring the BS that the glow plug module is to blame, £800 to supply and fit it seems very fishy.  Almost sounds like after 2 hours diagnosis with the car they know what the actual problem is but don't want to tell you because they know you will go away and fix it yourself (a lot cheaper).

 

Keliuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Ignoring the BS that the glow plug module is to blame, £800 to supply and fit it seems very fishy.  Almost sounds like after 2 hours diagnosis with the car they know what the actual problem is but don't want to tell you because they know you will go away and fix it yourself (a lot cheaper).

 

Keliuss

I agree, do you think the glow plug module would do that, force the car to die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he said. If it was -10C outside and you couldn't start it, I'd say sort the glow plugs out to eliminate that as an issue. But it's not -10C outside. As previously mentioned it does sound like a fueling problem but unfortunately my knowledge here is very limited. 

There are lots of threads here with similar/related issues with some very solid replies/instructions that get results, so I would suggest trying the search function or just skimming over the thread titles going back 10-20 pages or more if need be. There are some very knowledgeable members here.

 

Keliuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mmsa12 - the video was interesting. What happens if you keep trying to start the car every time it stops? Does the car run for longer and longer each time? Or does it reach a steady state after the first few tries, always failing after so many seconds?

 

Could you do another video from cold, also showing the attempts where it doesn't start?

 

Finally, do you know what codes are left on the vehicle? Your initial list must've reduced by now with everything that's been replaced!

 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

 

I am at the BMW dealer now and the technician confirmed it is the fuel injectors dumping diesel back to the tank. He said I need to repair/replace them all. I replaced one couple of months ago but I think it is finally makes sense, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, fuel injectors leaking would explain some of this....

 

The bit I'm not sure on is why the car stops after a while. If the injectors are leaking, it means air is getting into the high pressure lines, and having to be forced out again each time the engine is started from cold. Effectively, you're having to prime the

engine each time.

 

But once it starts, fuel is at the injectors, so why does it stop?

 

Also, it does seem to stop quite abruptly - as if someone has turned the key off. If it were a fuel issue, I'd expect the engine to cough and splutter a bit first.

 

Oh, and is this the same BMW dealer that said it was the glow plug controller?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stevenrl said:

Yes, fuel injectors leaking would explain some of this....

 

The bit I'm not sure on is why the car stops after a while. If the injectors are leaking, it means air is getting into the high pressure lines, and having to be forced out again each time the engine is started from cold. Effectively, you're having to prime the

engine each time.

 

But once it starts, fuel is at the injectors, so why does it stop?

 

Also, it does seem to stop quite abruptly - as if someone has turned the key off. If it were a fuel issue, I'd expect the engine to cough and splutter a bit first.

 

Oh, and is this the same BMW dealer that said it was the glow plug controller?!

As per the technician It is miscommunication the reception should not have updated me before further diagnosis. He said I had to report the fault of glow plug controller but I never said it is the fault (sounded very honest man). He said, around 3 injectors are dumping diesel back to the tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I got the 6 injectors out and went to test them in a fuel injection service. The guy said, they all perfect except one that has some sort of leaking (washing missing). The garage is fitting back to the engine, I am not if that was the fault, as far as I know only one injector won't cause this. I honestly, nearly giving up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if you've been suffering from multiple issues here. Does it now start reliably on the first attempt? Or are we back to starting on the 3rd attempt?

 

Back to my previous question - when it does start, how long is it before it stops? Could you time it (from the moment you turn the key to when it stops)? I'm wondering if there's something that happens at a certain time period after the engine starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stevenrl said:

I'm wondering if you've been suffering from multiple issues here. Does it now start reliably on the first attempt? Or are we back to starting on the 3rd attempt?

 

Back to my previous question - when it does start, how long is it before it stops? Could you time it (from the moment you turn the key to when it stops)? I'm wondering if there's something that happens at a certain time period after the engine starts.

 

- The crank issue probably related to battery and glow plugs, since I replaced a new battery it is nearly starting straightaway every time.

 

- when it starts, the first time might last for around 3-5 minutes then time decrease on every attempt to a couple of seconds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance you could test it a few times, and take some timings? The time it stops after (when it actually does run for a couple of minutes) might give us a hint as to what's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stevenrl said:

Any chance you could test it a few times, and take some timings? The time it stops after (when it actually does run for a couple of minutes) might give us a hint as to what's wrong.

Thank you for your follow up, it is currently in the garage they were fitting the injectors back on Saturday will do that once I get a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No probs - just let us know how long it runs for before stopping. Worth doing a few tests (from cold) to see how consistent it is.

 

If it does stop consistently after a certain time (+- a few seconds) then it could point to one of a number of things that happen at certain times. For example, the EGR valve changes state after a few minutes (I'd need to lookup how long), because it recirculates engine air to assist warm up (so all the folks that have removed their EGR have cars that take longer to warm up, causing more engine damage as the heaviest engine wear is when it's cold). The glow plugs also operate for a fixed time after starting for the same reason - could be some involvement from them, especially as they're about the only thing left that's producing a code relevant to the engine.

 

I doubt the brake codes will be anything related to this problem, but then again, it is an E60....:???:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad update: after 3 days of work at the garage the guy said it is no longer runs it only cranks at the moment after couple of investigation.

 Two codes came up and no matter they clear it, it comes back.

- Crankshaft sensor 

- immobiliser synchronisation 

 

As per the mechanic, it is electric he suspects it is the wiring for the crank sensor. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried cam as well as crank sensors? Genuine BMW?

 

 

My 330d had an issue when it would start but if stopped soon after would fail to start unless left for a good while.

 

No codes where ever thrown up but a pair of sensors cured it and never had the issue again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy to say this have been resolved.

 

the ECU was gone, and it needed to replace and reprogramming. I am surprised BMW did not pick that up.

 

Now running and all good, thank you everyone for all your inputs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×