Spreadly

German speeding ticket

Ok, I know this is the wrong category, but I know this is a busy one and this may save you.

Last week, I received a speeding ticket from Germany. I have never been to Germany! At first I thought this to be an error as the number plate stated in the letter is indeed mine, but the one in the photo is identical, bar the last letter. The photo of the person speeding is also not me.

Having looked at the form they want me to reply back with, it is asking for my first name, surname and address, which they already know, supposedly from the DVLA. But! They also want my date of birth, place of birth and Nationality. This is where I raised an eye brow and refuse to send that info.

They have included bank details for me to send a fine of 148.50 EUR, if I accept the fine.

It may well be a genuine mistake, I just don't like the personal details they're asking for.

Has anyone else received one of these?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Speeding fines over here aren't generally that high unless the offence was seriously dangerous.

However, I'd be off to your local police station for their advice - if the index plate shown is indeed not identical to yours, I'd be seriously tempted to ignore it pending police advice. Requesting all that information sounds more like an attempt at identity theft to be fair.

You can also find details online for the German ministry of justice and probably for the polizei headquarters for whichever state has supposedly issued this ticket.

I guess you live in the UK and the fine came through the post?

If so, I would be curious how they obtained your address if indeed the number plate on the fine is different to yours?

Very strange indeed. But, I would be talking to the police for sure.

The UK Government recently made a song & dance on how the DVLA is finally sharing details with our neighbours on offenders - as a lot of people on holidays found out about this summer. Anyhow, feel free to send me a scan of the letter you received, and I'll happily compose you a response in German (I lived there for 6 years). It may be a scam - but I doubt it. So they've sent you a picture; on the letter it'll state the registration number; once we establish it's genuine, just write back to them & point out their mistake. It has to be a front facing picture showing the driver by the way, and ultimately it's up to them to identify the driver, not you.  But do not ignore it.

20 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

You can also find details online for the German ministry of justice and probably for the polizei headquarters for whichever state has supposedly issued this ticket.

It'll usually be from the local authorities, not a police force per se. The police in Germany work for the local authorities.

Edited by BFleming