jambo98

Non run flats.

Changed the front Continental run flats for Kumho Ecsta PS71 non run flats and what a change to the car, tramlining has gone completely. Car just feels more planted to the road. 

2 hours ago, jambo98 said:

tramlining has gone completely

Were the old tyres very worn? I think that can accentuate tramlining but maybe run flats are more susceptible to it anyway.

They were down to just under 3 mm, I've thought that the cars ride even when the runflats were new was a bit off, tramlining over the slightest of ruts in the road. 

Are you planning on carrying a gunk can and compressor or just crossing fingers? My run flat fronts are down to 3.5mm and currently deciding which way to go.

Same here :)

4 hours ago, jambo98 said:

Changed the front Continental run flats for Kumho Ecsta PS71 non run flats and what a change to the car, tramlining has gone completely. Car just feels more planted to the road. 

1 hour ago, 97suited said:

Are you planning on carrying a gunk can and compressor or just crossing fingers? My run flat fronts are down to 3.5mm and currently deciding which way to go.

Tin of 500ml Holts tyreweld, I have a Ring tyre inflator and if I'm stuck break down cover, I've driven different cars for last 8/9 years that didn't have run flat tyres or a spare tyre, I'm sure it will be ok. 

I run Pirelli P7 Cinturato run-flats. Same sizes as yours front and rear. I just replaced the rears as they were down to the wear markers. There was no tramlining on the old worn ones or on the new. Maybe it's the brand and not down to run-flats versus normal tyres.

I've no doubt the ride is softer with your new tyres though....

Best mod I've done on my F10 tyre related is getting rid of the RFT but also pushing the pressures to nearer the loaded end of the scale. It removed a secondary bounce in the suspension that used to drive me nuts (pun intended though not implying said nuts have a chauffeur). Kthx.

I

10 hours ago, jambo98 said:

I did exactly the same with my previous F10 and noticed an immediate difference.

The PS71 is a very underrated tyre.

3 hours ago, johnnymad said:

I run Pirelli P7 Cinturato run-flats. Same sizes as yours front and rear. I just replaced the rears as they were down to the wear markers. There was no tramlining on the old worn ones or on the new. Maybe it's the brand and not down to run-flats versus normal tyres.

I've no doubt the ride is softer with your new tyres though....

I run same tyres on mine, 225 all round. I find mine tramlines on main roads. I've always put it down to the width of the car. Wide enough to catch the inside of the wear on road from lorries but wider than the average car so sits on the outer edge of their wear marks. Thought about playing round with pressures but never got round to it. I tend to drive with outer wheels in the outside ruts and it isn't so bad.

Having said that, I kept cleaning the shark fin for a better radio signal only to find out the Ariel is in the nearside rear window.:shock:

40 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

You can mix run flats with non-run flats, right? For example, non run flats on the front and run flats on the rear.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment. 

Yes and BMW will even sell you a car via AUC with a mix of rft and non rft. ;)

As long as its on the same axle you will be fine. 

I’ve even run mine with 17” rft winters up front and 19” non rft summers at the rear when I had a puncture. 

I got rid of my run flats ages ago and fitted Continentals 245 45 18s all round the car just drives so much better, it now does not try to break away going round an island

20 hours ago, Spreadly said:

You can mix run flats with non-run flats, right? For example, non run flats on the front and run flats on the rear.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes that's what I've have at the moment although it was the rear run flats that were change to non run flats Michelin primacy, I have since changed them around and put the non run flats to the front because I believe the handling was better, and with the runflats on the rear it will become sooner I will have non runflats all round.