ger

E39 front, 13cm or 17cm with adapters?

I want to change the front speakers in the e39, I think the current speakers are shot, driver's side stops completely every now and then, comes back if the volume is turned up! I'm imagining that the cone is sticking and needs a stronger kick to get it going again. If it's not the speaker then at least I'll eliminate them!

I was wondering if there's a big difference between the standard 13cm drop in speakers compared to larger 17cm ones using an adapter?

The adapters completely do away with the oem pods, but I've not seen how the little connector board is held afterwards, I know a little bracket could be made up but I was wondering if there's a specific place for it. I wouldn't want things rattling around!

I'm not too bothered about high volume stuff, I mainly listen to podcasts, but I'd like some decent sounds too. Likely to go for 13cm Pioneer components for now, but these could be migrated to the rear pods and larger front units/adapters obtained if the consensus of opinion goes that way! I think I have some orange edge speakers in the rear at the moment, not bad but the pioneers may well be better (+ ten years younger!).

I have an xtrons running into a hifi amp to run the ten installed speakers (swapped out the stadard head unit for the xtrons) and an amp to run the rear subs mounted under the rear shelf. 

Thanks for any insights.. 

Hi Ger,

Just to get it right as I recall (from M5 board) you've gone for the Xtrons with the resler interface to retain the oem DSP amplifier and oem DSP speakers?

If that's the case then you'll not easily be able to do what you mention above. The reason is that the DSP amplifier splits the output signal internally so that the frequency bands are connected to each dedicated driver/speaker located throughout the cabin. If you wish to retain the OEM DSP amplifier, then you could either replace the individual speakers with the same units from another car or, get the BSW/Bavsound upgraded drivers (they retain the oem DSP midrange driver though) for DSP E39's. They're a USA only product and will come in at around £400+ once shipping/import duty/VAT/clearance fees are added in. 

If you don't mind junking the DSP amplifier and speakers, you would then purchase a modest 5 channel amplifier, and change to 2 way 5.25 inch components in the front, 5.25 inch co-axials for the rear deck (component speakers aren't needed in the rear) and a 8/10 inch subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure that seals against the rear seat bulkhead and has the subwoofer 'vent' through the ski hatch for 100% sub bass 'flow' into the cabin. You could save some cash by getting used equipment and given that you aren't overly concerned with sound quality, new equipment would most likely be well within your budget. 

Many owners along with Internet forum knowledge still has the thought that 6.5 inch component speakers are 'automatically' better than 5.25 inch ones. This isn't the case, it all depends on the specifications of the speaker drivers themselves. I use 5.25 inch DLS R5A's for my front end and the levels of mid bass they can provide is absolutely fantastic and easily outperforms many 6.5 inch drivers. In your case once more, I'd say stay with 5.25 inch components and you have less chance of mounting depth, woofer/cone excursion that could hit the back of the door card issues which you'd most likely get if you went for 6.5's. 

Given your confidence, experience and expertise in making/doing things DIY, I'd say fabricating a small sub enclosure for a modest 8 or 10 inch sub with a vent to go through the ski hatch and sealing it up, installing components in the front oem speaker pods and covering in sound deadening material, and wiring it all in would be relatively easy/straightforward for you !

Normally, I wouldn't recommend using the OEM front door pods as when after market speakers are used in them, the internal volume has the effect of over emphasizing the midrange frequencies and thus sounds unnatural/unbalanced. However, you mention you aren't overly concerned with SQ so in this case, it's perhaps what you'd want/do in your car. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks for your detailed reply. 

I understand that the speakers for the dsp amp are different . However, I don't have a dsp amp. I do have the 'hifi' amp, which takes 'full signal' (ie not line out) from the head unit and splits it out to the particular speakers (10 of them). I believe that this amp has internal crossovers, as each speaker has a dedicated pair of wires, so the appropriate frequencies are sent to the correctly sized speakers (or should I say drivers?).

What I don't know is if this amp should have specific speakers or are they just pretty ordinary 4ohm ones, which are currently fitted in most locations as far as I can remember.

So, I reckon I can use aftermarket speakers, which size would be best up front?

Hi Ger,

The same fundamental applies, the HiFi amplifier is sending out dedicated frequency ranges to each specific driver. But, I know get that you are wanting to change just the individual speakers to aftermarket ones. It's been asked many times previously, and it's the case that there's no direct E39 fit ones from the general aftermarket and any that may fit will have the wrong impedance rating as compared to the specification of the BMW amp and speaker. The BSW setup was designed with this two aspects in mind, so they are direct physical fitment and impedance sympathetic to the amplifier - so purchasing these will mean you have the 'right' drivers/speakers. Over many threads over the years, many have asked exactly this; is there an aftermarket speaker to replace that particular DSP/HiFi one. I think you may have to trawl through some of the professional speaker manufacturers and look through catalogues to see which of those brands make a speaker that's got the right impedance ratings and physical fitment sizing to be able to replace. You'll need to brush up on your Google Fu and Forum Fu skills to search out threads which mention this and then check sites like Madisound and brands like SEAS and for which some references have been made to model numbers. 

Although you 'could' use aftermarket 4 ohm rated ones, they'll not be correct so won't sound right although you will have audio output. 

I'd still recommend overall to ditch the oem amp and speakers. As you are finding a speaker giving out currently, sods law will be others might begin to conk out and the amplifier itself may start to give up as well. There's only 2 places I know of that repair the OEM DSP amp, one in Australia and another in Hungary I think it is. Another used and similar aged amp unit might also begin to give up soon or later after changing to it! 

5.25 inch is the OEM size in the front door pods, so they'd be the sizing to go for and what the BSW solution consists of. If you do find replacement aftermarket ones which are the right sizing and technical specs, please do share :)

Cheers, Dennis!