rgt1973

Key battery and replacement key.

Is it possible to replace the battery in these keys? Also, I only have the 1 key. Any suggestions on where to get a spare and how much? Thanksdc060833a961dd743b1b4a8cf103a17a.jpg73c371b49ecbc0afc2b296438c2e320e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It's a rechargeable battery so not sure if it can be replaced. But I'm pretty sure the key or a spare that you could get off flea Bay will need reprogramming to the car mate.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You can get a blank and have it coded, you'll probably need to send your CAS off if you don't live close to someone with the equipment to do it. 

Here's the procedure. Be advised he repeats himself at least six times per video.  He's not the sharpest either, despite having some knowledge. 

it’s not available for purchase it has to be MADE by yourself and you need to go scrap yard and get all parts needed for it and you need to make it yourself what you see here is not available to just buy it takes skill and knowledge and I state again so others will see this what you just saw in the video is only half of what is needed to do I do NOT release full information ANY pro like me that sees this im sure will comment and tell you that aswell  You cannot do what you see me do as I state many times this is not a place for following this is a channel for education

Beautiful. 

Edited by Deviant

The battery in my older diamond fob was knackered and I found myself walking around the car clicking the button to open the doors :blink: It must have looked like I was a very bad car thief :ph34r:

I sent my key to The Master Locksmith and they were excellent. I posted the key on a Monday and it was back on Wednesday, I used Special Delivery. I had a spare which I sent back at a later date. I appreciate you only have one key which will make it much trickier. 

They offer a Replacement key for BMW service but I don't know the cost. All I can say is they were very efficient and I would recommend them

HTH

Changy

Yes, it is possible to replace these batteries. Often happens that the less used key’s battery dies as it doesn’t get charged enough - you need to alternate the key you use (it gets charged in the ignition whilst driving).

Replacement batteries are even available in larger capacities (my original was 25 mAh, the replacement was 70 mAh). The main difficulty here is the connections - most of the batteries for sale have connectors positioned at 180 degrees to each other - the key needs the connectors at 90 degrees, so you have to unsolder one of the connectors and resolder it in the correct place - this all becomes perfectly obvious when you see it.

You also have to open the key carefully - it’s not designed to be opened. You cut/crack the key open around the circumference, and use a dab or two of superglue to stick it back together once done. All fairly easy, and the replacement battery should be less than a tenner.

Steve

On 24/09/2019 at 08:20, Changy said:

I sent my key to The Master Locksmith and they were excellent. I posted the key on a Monday and it was back on Wednesday, I used Special Delivery. I had a spare which I sent back at a later date. I appreciate you only have one key which will make it much trickier. 

Yes I've used them as well, excellent service.

18 hours ago, Themadwelshman said:

Will the key need reprogramming after changing the battery? Fancy doing that upgrade myself. Thanks

It can be done but be careful when you crack open the key. I think your style could be more accessible whereas my diamond fob was dodgy. A mate of mine wouldn't pay the £20 and decided to crack open his diamond fob. He regretted it because he couldn't do it properly and was left with only one key. Obviously I am not saying you will do the same but be careful.

It can be done but be careful when you crack open the key. I think your style could be more accessible whereas my diamond fob was dodgy. A mate of mine wouldn't pay the £20 and decided to crack open his diamond fob. He regretted it because he couldn't do it properly and was left with only one key. Obviously I am not saying you will do the same but be careful.
Thanks a lot for the advice mate. I am a bit heavy handed lol but I do have a spare key. Cheers