Sign in to follow this  
chemicalal

528i 1983 - DME

Hi all,

Tried looking everywhere but failed - Does my car have a DME Relay? I read somewhere on here that the LJet M30B28 doesn't. 

If it does, id like to change it and the Fuel pump relay for new.

Could one of you kind souls furnish an idiot with the part numbers so I can purchase.

Al

It is the large black one, next to the fuse box. It is double the length of the normal relay's in the fuse box

7 pin fuel pump relay, a common failure then and now. It controls the pump and the injectors. If it doesn't start (no fuel), make up a three into one wire and connect pins  87 (red white) 87b (green purple) and 30 (red) - injectors, pump and 12v. If it starts and runs, the relay is u/s.

Maybe I'm being stoopid, but my question was do I have a seperate DME Relay in my car and if so, what is the part number?

I know that it has a fuel pump relay and can get that info, but maybe I'll take a pic of the fusebox area and post it up.

I'm chasing a very slight/occasional lumpiness +/- 50rpm ish, a higher than normal idle in Park (cold it idles at 800, when hot it idles at 1000rpm and with AC, fan and lights on it drops to 850ish) and rich running. Otherwise the car runs perfectly but these issues are bugging the sh*t out of me. I've methodically worked thru most of the known issue areas (replacing with new and known good - changed all rubber boots/vacuum lines, AFM, DME, FPR, TPS, Cap & rotor, Air slide valve, tested the CSV by crimping the fuel line, replaced the blue temp sensor) so I reckon that I want to change the relays and Thermo-time switch to see if this has any effect at all.

When I got the head-gasket done (needed new valve stem oil seals) I also asked them to recondition the injectors and I replaced the in-tank and in-line fuel pumps with new BMW parts.

The car is 97% perfect but these last wee niggles are slightly annoying.

Only thing that doesn't work is the Cruise Control - has had its bowden cable snipped and been unplugged (round connector beside the DME above glovebox) - Assume that the ECU or unit on the inner wing was buggered and they isolated it. 

On the 2.8 the dme relay and fuel pump relay are all in one, it look's like this:-

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/hitachi-3228955.html

It is 

two relay's in one

With the cruise, the bowden cable comes out of the actuator and can be replaced, you are correct the cruise wire is the round connector by the fuse box. The unit on the inner wing is called the actuator. The cruise ecu is a bright silver/aluminium coloured box above your right knee when you are in the driving seat