Sandeep

BMW 535D F10 brake discs Warped

Thanks @5SPORT I had my alloys in the same state when I first purchased the car and the discs were warped despite multiple disc replacements during the ownership of the vehicle 

Hence I need to prove to the finance company the root cause  , after which they can will either get me a replacement vehicle or fix alloys etc .

so I guess the  email from alloy wheel firm  should be sufficient .

FYI Alloy wheel Refurb company will charge 280+ vat for 4 wheels 

Or you can just wet and dry it after making it.

My 20's have been refurbed twice but I always clean the mating face up (even if masked off).

BMW do actually have a tool, which can also be found online to clean up mating faces attached to a drill.

Spoke to Rimtec who did my alloys and they specifically stated that they do not paint the inner section where the wheel connects, they mask it off.

I'm gonna double check on Friday when the 3rd disc is fitted...

New Textar disc fitted today...The alloy had not been painted and the hub was clean. Both area were cleaned once again before fitting. This one should not warp given that the drivers side one has been fine. If it doesn't then my theory will be that it's just to my car being more sensitive to certain brands of disc :blink:

Sandeep - couldn't you just swap driver and passenger wheels and see if the issue follows the alloy?

Also - your calipers are painted. Was this done professionally or DIY? Could it be that there's paint where it there shouldn't be on that caliper?

5 hours ago, 5SPORT said:

New Textar disc fitted today...The alloy had not been painted and the hub was clean. Both area were cleaned once again before fitting. This one should not warp given that the drivers side one has been fine. If it doesn't then my theory will be that it's just to my car being more sensitive to certain brands of disc :blink:

Keep us posted 

4 hours ago, sanjx said:

Sandeep - couldn't you just swap driver and passenger wheels and see if the issue follows the alloy?

Also - your calipers are painted. Was this done professionally or DIY? Could it be that there's paint where it there shouldn't be on that caliper?

Good idea , let me try and do that , also callipers not painted by me , could that add to the issue ?

When the swapped the calipers, did they not give you an option not to paint them if they where replaced with new? A bad paint job could mean the paint's got to the wrong places and is causing caliper pins to stick or not allowing the caliper to cool properly. 

Try swapping the alloys over first and then that'll determine if the alloy is to blame or one of the fitted parts on that side. Then the caliper itself would be my focus again, perhaps starting by taking the car for a good spin with a decent amount of braking followed by using a thermal imaging camera to take a picture of both sides. This will tell you where the hot spots are and if the calipers are similar temp or extremely different. Pending the outcome of that, I would then start exploring other components.

You could try checking the temps now before swapping the alloys but then you wouldn't be ruling out the mating faces so it could be that causing the temp difference or the caliper (or something else). You could try taking temps, then swap alloys over, do temps again and see how they compare? 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, sanjx said:

When the swapped the calipers, did they not give you an option not to paint them if they where replaced with new? A bad paint job could mean the paint's got to the wrong places and is causing caliper pins to stick or not allowing the caliper to cool properly. 

Try swapping the alloys over first and then that'll determine if the alloy is to blame or one of the fitted parts on that side. Then the caliper itself would be my focus again, perhaps starting by taking the car for a good spin with a decent amount of braking followed by using a thermal imaging camera to take a picture of both sides. This will tell you where the hot spots are and if the calipers are similar temp or extremely different. Pending the outcome of that, I would then start exploring other components.

You could try checking the temps now before swapping the alloys but then you wouldn't be ruling out the mating faces so it could be that causing the temp difference or the caliper (or something else). You could try taking temps, then swap alloys over, do temps again and see how they compare? 

i think what I ll do first is swap the alloys between front driver and passenger.

also from your comment , I now wonder if they actually replace my callipers ?

can anyone suggest me a good place where the could checkout my callipers ?

anywhere near cov would be preferred .

else I ll have to take it to BCS as you be suggested earlier .

also will try to get a thermal image camera 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, sanjx said:

i think what I ll do first is swap the alloys between front driver and passenger.

also from your comment , I now wonder if they actually replace my callipers ?

can anyone suggest me a good ce where the could checkout my callipers ?

anywhere near cov would be preferred .

else I ll have to take it to BCS as you be suggested earlier .

also will try to get a thermal image camera 

The caliper slides over the bolt that you can see in that pic. 

Remove those bolts/pins with 7mm Allen key and clean them up. No point just sticking the caps back on as potentially muck is already in there causing the calipers to stick.

IMG-22-4233.jpg

14 minutes ago, sjj84 said:

Be easier for them just to put new pins in surely? And grease them up.

Greasing pins is often the cause of this, they are open pins so shouldn't be greased, brake dust sticks to the grease and jams the sliders, then the discs warp.

Ideally hone the slider bores, fit new rubber and reuse the pins if they are ok, if not replace.

TIS confirms

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/GXzw1vh

do not grease the pins.

Only ever grease the pad to caliper cradle contact points with ceramic grease. Grease has no place anywhere else on brakes.