Johnn635

Holding ball joints

So who was the comedian that decided that a T40 bit rated at 50-65Nm would be suitable to prevent an M12 nut rated to 77Nm from turning. Broke two bits so far trying to remove the upper rear arm on E60 rear suspension. 

Moderate Heat + WD40 not worked yet. Nut is at right angles to axle so normal angle grinder not on. Small Dremel disc might cut the nut off eventually.

Next step is to cherry red heat the nut with the oxy acetylene which I reserve for the most stubborn jobs. Even then it means holding the joint with the T40 bit.

Saw comment about cutting the ball joint if Nyloc nuts used, but these are the original BMW arms and they are swage nuts (?) Anyway, these are alleged MOT excessive wear failures and the one side that has come off shows no signs of excessive wear, so I want to preserve the joint as evidence.

Any other ideas?

John

Once cracked I use my impact gun, in and out until it spins off

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, dj1233 said:

Using good penetration fluid and letting it settle in for a few days is the best way to start. I've not had any issues yet using this method. 

when handling your balls, a good penetration fluid is a must...at least that's what she said...

Hmm,

last post a bit wide ( or near) the mark!

However, using the air impact wrench was not included in my strategies, and coupled with leaving it for  a couple of days may do the trick. Have bought some higher quality bits, so will also retry these.

Really annoying if it was a pessimistic MOT examiner.

John

FYI - the solution that worked.

Quality T40 bit. - just twisted trying to tighten

impact air gun, just spun the joint ( it was already loose and seized whilst undoing)

Oxy/acetylene on nut till nut a dull red. Apply twisted T40 in undo direction - broke (no surprise)

used Wera 1/2" drive T40 and made the nut unseize (slight cracking feel)

twisted arm to hold the joint whilst applying forward and reverse impact wrench. -SUCCESS

MOT centre swears the arms had excessive slack, but I'm not about to put them back because the replacements have 10mm hex ends.

50 years of working on BMWs I've never let a nut defeat me.

John 

I've seen the Wera stuff. Pricey but obviously good quality.

Re-reading your first post.  These were not nyloc nuts then?

Nylocs were fitted to the earlier E60's replacement nuts for mine were all metal nuts with three or four tangs at the top which do the same job as the nylon in a nyloc nut.  I think the newer E60's had these all metal nuts from the off.  What age was the car you were working on?

I've snapped Halfords and Draper torx bits now.  The Draper one gave out counter holding the roll bar link nut on my F10.  Halfords one was a victim of a nyloc on the lower front arms on my E60.

But yes the sense of relief when its sorted is great, well done.