jimboe39

Front Screen Trim Replace

Hi all, want to change my front screen trim surround, checked out the prices online, best I got for an OEM part was £39.99 on the auction site, rang the main dealers ( Ocean BMW in Falmouth ) they do the part for £34.63 just have to collect it. Just goes to show the main dealers may be good value sometimes.

Part number is 51 31 8 159 784. My car is an 02 530i Sport and I believe this part number will fit nearly all the E39,s except the ones with a non standard windscreen.

cheers,

Jim

33 minutes ago, jimboe39 said:

Hi all, want to change my front screen trim surround, checked out the prices online, best I got for an OEM part was £39.99 on the auction site, rang the main dealers ( Ocean BMW in Falmouth ) they do the part for £34.63 just have to collect it. Just goes to show the main dealers may be good value sometimes.

Part number is 51 31 8 159 784. My car is an 02 530i Sport and I believe this part number will fit nearly all the E39,s except the ones with a non standard windscreen.

cheers,

Jim

Yup, same price as BMW COTSWOLDS on this forum charged me with delivery too :)

Its an easy job to do, just make sure you remove the old one (you’ll need needle nose pliers to get the sections out) and use lots of soapy water to refit the new one. The top corners are fiddly bits FYI 

Did mine with a Cotswold supplied one a few months back. The fitting is easy, I used window cleaner liberally sprayed around the edges rather than soapy water, couldn't have been easier.

Longest and most annoying part of the job was removing the old one first, as it was so decayed it broke into hundreds of annoying little pieces and took forget to get them all off! About an hour of work in total, and looks so much better.

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

Did mine with a Cotswold supplied one a few months back. The fitting is easy, I used window cleaner liberally sprayed around the edges rather than soapy water, couldn't have been easier.

Longest and most annoying part of the job was removing the old one first, as it was so decayed it broke into hundreds of annoying little pieces and took forget to get them all off! About an hour of work in total, and looks so much better.

Yup :lol: Ended up hoovering most of mine out; with it being a Jap import; I think the heat had destroyed most of it, as soon as I touched it, it fell apart :roll: 

Mine is all done now, straight forward job really, just need to careful taking out the top part with the metal insert in, used long nosed pliers, lifted the edge, twist forward and up and out she came. 

Used plenty of glass cleaner as a lubricant when putting back in.

Regards,

Jim