97suited

Brake prices - why so varied?

Recently bought a F10 535d and looking to service the brakes. BMW want £623 to do the front discs and pads, £472 for the rears, £1095 in total. Err, wow....

I'm happy to DIY, have done so on E39, E46, E91, E85 in the past so fire up Eurocarparts and I'm mentally expecting a couple of hundred quid. After the 60% discount it's £260 for front discs, £45 front pads, £182 rear discs, £32 rear pads. £520 in total.

OK, maybe it's just me being out of touch. It's 300+hp and I guess these huge dinner plate sized things aren't as cheap as I thought given my past experience has been with 520i, 318i etc.

But then I google F10 535d brake discs and the first link appears to offer everything for £190 delivered.

So what's the story? Are the £190 Ridex's made out of chocolate? I'm assuming so. Is £520 the realistic going rate for all four corners? Where is the sweet spot for cost/performance?

Thanks in advance.

I paid ECP £439 for Brembo discs and pads all round earlier this year and paid a good indy to fit them while they were doing some other work on the car. Mine is a 530d F11 so your brakes might be slightly different and more costly. 

Not sure regarding Ridex discs but I'm advised the cheapest of cheap discs are a false ecomomy and best avoided. Brakes and tyres are two things worth spending on. Just avoid letting BMW rip you off.

I bought genuine BMW front discs, pads and a wear sensor for ~£330 and fitted them myself. I got a nice discount from my local dealer for the discs.  BMW quoted me £564 for fitting so I saved over £200 by DIY.

Your 535d may even have bigger discs than mine so they can get pricey.  You have proper stopping power with the brakes on the big engined stuff.  The discs are handed, one for each side on these cars.

Euro car parts are rip off.  They advertise stuff too expensive and then to give you a discount code or offer a BOGOF on brakes to even begin to come near BMW prices to make you think you are getting a good deal but you may not be.

Don't skimp on brakes, spend money on decent parts.

Never even heard of ridex, I'm another that won't skrimp on brakes or tyres. I'll be doing mine soon using genuine parts, the front discs are £185 each from BMW, I reckon on saving a couple of hundred by fitting myself.

My front disc's are due for replacement, which also means I need to change the pads. I appreciate that alot of people will go genuine, but it is not a cheap option for all of us and I'm not saying you should go for a cheap option either. However there are good quality alternatives. I know alot of people are not fans of Euro's but at the moment they have a 50% off offer. I was looking at a set of Brembo Disc's and Pads which work out to £229.48 after discount or ATE discs and pads £240.98 after discount. Unfortunately I cannot fit these myself. Also my rear pads are due in 3,800 miles and I'll get these done at the same time. I will price up the cost of genuine parts before making a final decision.

On 16/09/2019 at 00:41, asharb123 said:

My front disc's are due for replacement, which also means I need to change the pads. I appreciate that alot of people will go genuine, but it is not a cheap option for all of us and I'm not saying you should go for a cheap option either. However there are good quality alternatives. I know alot of people are not fans of Euro's but at the moment they have a 50% off offer. I was looking at a set of Brembo Disc's and Pads which work out to £229.48 after discount or ATE discs and pads £240.98 after discount. Unfortunately I cannot fit these myself. Also my rear pads are due in 3,800 miles and I'll get these done at the same time. I will price up the cost of genuine parts before making a final decision.

I went for brembo discs and textar pads on my last disc change (rears about 15k miles ago) and have only ever stuck textar pads on. 

I prefer to buy from autodoc as considerably cheaper than euros even with their 'offer'

How about kwik fit or halfords, dont they do pads and discs for as long as you own car?
Got my rears due soon
If you value your car, stay away from Kwik Fit and Halfords, especially Halfords. I wouldn't trust them to change my windscreen wipers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No. Just no.  

Kwik Fit look for jobs, "that need doing"   

I remember I went in to a branch for a simple puncture repair once. They tried to tell me that because of the angle the nail went in, it couldn't be repaired and I needed a new tyre. I knew they're were taking ****. Went to a garage around the corner, and they repaired the puncture within 10 minutes. Job done.

1 hour ago, Spreadly said:

Kwik Fit look for jobs, "that need doing"   

TBF all garages do, hence the 'free healthcheck'

(just for clarity though, I would not use KF if they were the last garage on earth, I have had forced dealings with them in a previous role and they were consistently abysmal)

I remember a few years back when I took my wifes car to KF for an mot and they said the brake discs were "rotten" and needed replacing. I challenged their advice pointing out that surface rust on a car that only did 500 miles that year is not uncommon and would be removed by a goo run. I took the car away and had it mot'd at the main dealer and it flew through.

I have also noticed that they never repair a punctured tyre, always quoting some safety reason which is always bulls**t.

Not brakes but a few years back I went to KF for an air con regas. Fine when I left but blowing warm again later that day as it had a leak which I’m sure they noticed but didn’t mention and went ahead anyway. Went back to complain, got nowhere as they just said the leak must have developed afterwards. It was a leaking seal FFS, not stone damage or similar.

I wouldn't use KF. I remember many years ago when I was a kid, my uncle needed some new tyres for his Mercedes. KF had an offer on, so I went with him. They replaced the tyres. As we left KF my uncle said the car doesn't feel right and me being a kid I said it must be the new tyres. He said no, its not that, then one of the wheels came off.They hadn't tighten the bolts on one of the front wheels. My uncle went ballistic, threaten to have trading standards in, called the chairman of the company, he went ape....Needles to say he got a full apology and 4 free tyres. But he's never been back and neither have I or anyone else in the family. 

I wouldn't use KF. I remember many years ago when I was a kid, my uncle needed some new tyres for his Mercedes. KF had an offer on, so I went with him. They replaced the tyres. As we left KF my uncle said the car doesn't feel right and me being a kid I said it must be the new tyres. He said no, its not that, then one of the wheels came off.They hadn't tighten the bolts on one of the front wheels. My uncle went ballistic, threaten to have trading standards in, called the chairman of the company, he went ape....Needles to say he got a full apology and 4 free tyres. But he's never been back and neither have I or anyone else in the family. 
KwikFit are the worst and that doesn't surprise me. They employ any geeza from the job centre and train them on the basics.

On 14/09/2019 at 22:34, sjj84 said:

Never even heard of ridex, I'm another that won't skrimp on brakes or tyres. I'll be doing mine soon using genuine parts, the front discs are £185 each from BMW, I reckon on saving a couple of hundred by fitting myself.

I agree that you shouldn't scrimp on brakes, but no need to buy OEM at an inflated price. Textar or ATE are OE suppliers for BMW, and can be bought much cheaper than from the dealer. 

Have a look online for Zimmerman brake discs

My suggestion would be to speak with Cotswold (forum sponsor) parts dept for a price for the parts. Then ring Cotswold Service for a price for replacement of discs and pads and breakdown of the cost. The parts will be at a higher price so give them a reference for the quote you've just had from parts for the parts and you'll be pleased with the difference

I had my pads/discs done a few months ago and the premium for BMW parts and labour (over using non-oem parts and a local garage) was under £100 (from memory £60 but I havent records to hand). Considering the 2 year warranty, not a bad place to be 

Apparently there's a shortage of OEM brake discs for my F10 520 at the moment. My dealer cancelled the appointment yesterday as they couldn't get the parts due to a problem with the back order.
Unfortunately I haven't found a suitable indy so stuck with the dealer £484 for front pads and discs

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

^ I had similar. Mine has rotation specific discs so there is an offside and near side part. My dealer could only get one disc initially. 

Very odd.

As they sell them as singles and not as a pair does that mean that garages only fit one disc say after an accident? 

On the Wifes 523i F10, I was surprised at the cost of the discs considering her Z4 ones were £69 for Brembo ones at ECP!

Fortunately I can DIY so will save the labour costs, I must have saves thousands over the years in changing the discs/pads on every car I have owned. Looking forward to telling Mini I will be doing the brakes myself when it goes in for a service in a month or so as the warning light is on, despite it the pads having several mm of material left on them. They seem to find it odd when you tell them you are doing it yourself on a car which is only 18 months old!

I made the mistake on the Z4 of getting cheap Eicher pads from ECP, they just squealed so will never make that mistake again so its Pagid or Brembo for me moving forward. 

On 14/09/2019 at 11:27, 97suited said:

Recently bought a F10 535d and looking to service the brakes. BMW want £623 to do the front discs and pads, £472 for the rears, £1095 in total. Err, wow....

I'm happy to DIY, have done so on E39, E46, E91, E85 in the past so fire up Eurocarparts and I'm mentally expecting a couple of hundred quid. After the 60% discount it's £260 for front discs, £45 front pads, £182 rear discs, £32 rear pads. £520 in total.

OK, maybe it's just me being out of touch. It's 300+hp and I guess these huge dinner plate sized things aren't as cheap as I thought given my past experience has been with 520i, 318i etc.

But then I google F10 535d brake discs and the first link appears to offer everything for £190 delivered.

So what's the story? Are the £190 Ridex's made out of chocolate? I'm assuming so. Is £520 the realistic going rate for all four corners? Where is the sweet spot for cost/performance?

Thanks in advance.

The cheaper discs are 1 piece steel units, heavier than original and add to the unsprung weight of the car, potentially altering the cars ride and reducing the stopping power over genuine.  The genuine items are 2 piece, steel discs with aluminium inner bells, fused at factory. They cost more due to cost or material and manufacturer process. 

Personally I would not put cheap discs on your car, go with BMW, get a quote with discount or go with ATE discs (who make the genuine items) EBC and Brembo also have 2 piece.