UltimateWarrior

Sat Nav / Map Update

I understand the basic process for updating the maps on F10/F12, but just wanted to check a few details. 

See attached the current map version, which is 2015 year, so same age as the car. However, I was expecting the terms ‘NEXT’ or ‘PREMIUM’ in the file name to indicate which version of on board computer I have. I understand CIC and NBT are the generally the systems in the F11, depending on age. I attached a photo of the map view also, as this may help someone determine which system I’m on. 

Once I have determined the operating system, I believe I can get a lifetime FSC code from eBay (£10) and install the appropriate 2019 maps from a USB stick. 

Thanks for your patience!

91F253CB-CFC0-4B6A-9133-17C8F8C8C7C2.jpeg

95C4C237-A45D-4891-8162-895525339DC6.jpeg

Premium or Next are for CIC or NBT (respectively) Pro Nav Systems that come with the 10.5”’screen. If buying from eBay the seller will

use your VIN to generate the FSC code appropriate to the required Map version. 

If you have a spare USB stick I have a file that should pull the needed details to generate a lifetime code for free. Extract this to a blank USB and put it in the USB you use to upload, turn the ignition on and let the sat nav load, give it a minute and see if anything is on the stick..

copie_scr.zip

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

If you have a spare USB stick I have a file that should pull the needed details to generate a lifetime code for free. Extract this to a blank USB and put it in the USB you use to upload, turn the ignition on and let the sat nav load, give it a minute and see if anything is on the stick..

copie_scr.zip

Note, this method will only retrieve 1B files which relate to CIC and NOT NBT pro nav head units. Once you have retrieved the 1B file - it will need to be converted and then the FSC code generated via a generator program . 

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Note, this method will only retrieve 1B files which relate to CIC and NOT NBT pro nav head units. Once you have retrieved the 1B file - it will need to be converted and then the FSC code generated via a generator program . 

So my head unit is NBT (small screen, so not PRO), which presumably means that this method won’t work for me?

To round off the story about generating/Obtaining/Purchasing codes and maps for SatNav updates and the various methods:

Using Copie_scr is only valid with an early car with a CIC or Business SatNav with “Premium“ or “Move“ maps.

Extracting 1B or DE files from your car using ESYS and going through the DIY generating process works on:

Cars with: SatNAv Business or SatNav Professional with the following Map Versions:

CIC - “Premium”; NBT - “Next“;  Business - “Move”

Anything beyond 2014 will more than likely have either

SatNav Business/Entry_Nav with ”Route” Maps or

SatNav Pro NBT EVO with “EVO“ Maps.

• There is no DIY option to generate codes. 

Updates for these can sometimes be found on eBay or you need to go down the official route of buying through the BMW website. BMW change the authorisation mechanism and now embeds the authorisation code within the map data for the later versions. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Anything beyond 2014 will more than likely have either

SatNav Business/Entry_Nav with ”Route” Maps or

SatNav Pro NBT EVO with “EVO“ Maps.

Updates for these can sometimes be found on eBay or you need to go down the official route of buying through the BMW website. BMW change the authorisation mechanism and now embeds the authorisation code within the map data.

The above applies to me. Grizzle has kindly pointed me in the direction of the map files. Presumably I still need to acquire a lifetime FSC code? Do I need to specifically look for codes that apply to the “Route” maps? Or can I use this this one

37 minutes ago, UltimateWarrior said:

The above applies to me. Grizzle has kindly pointed me in the direction of the map files. Presumably I still need to acquire a lifetime FSC code? Do I need to specifically look for codes that apply to the “Route” maps? Or can I use this this one

No, as mentioned, your car does not use an FSC code in the traditional sense so there is no Lifetime code available. The authorisation code is now embedded within the Map file so no one can generate the code for you as was the case with the older headunits.

4 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

No, as mentioned, your car does not use an FSC code in the traditional sense so there is no Lifetime code available. The authorisation code is now embedded within the Map file so no one can generate the code for you as was the case with the older headunits.

So would the above maps work for me, or do I need a bespoke map tailored to my car / Vin?

Sorry for all the questions! I had assumed there was a single process for all F10/11 cars, but clearly not!

thanks for your patience!

45 minutes ago, UltimateWarrior said:

So would the above maps work for me, or do I need a bespoke map tailored to my car / Vin?

Sorry for all the questions! I had assumed there was a single process for all F10/11 cars, but clearly not!

thanks for your patience!

Sorry, looks like I possibly got it wrong. For Route maps you should still be able to get an FSC code. It is later maps where the key is embedded. So it looks like that link for map downloads will work and you’ll need to do another search on eBay for the FSC code. The link you shared don’t specify ROUTE map FSC.