gazzago

Heating distribution help

2011 f11 530d 

Fitted a new Android head unit a couple of weeks ago. Climate control panel needs to come out for this. Easy, 2 screws and a couple of clips. Android unit it plug and play straight in. 

On putting the climate panel back on it didn’t want to work. Had to wiggle the wires to get it to work. Thought this strange as no tension had been put on the wires or connectors. Messed about for ages and got it working. Or so I thought. 

Turns out I have heat sometimes, no ac cooling. No instant heat from the electric element and most importantly no air coming from the demister vents. 

messed about again and though it must be a dodgy panel. Ordered a replacement. 

it arrived and I fitted it but no better. Being a 530 it has the extended controls so you can manually choose airflow to screen vents or floor. Except they don’t work. I have the left centre vent, the drivers floor vent and the rear vents only and can’t change them at all. 

Buttons all work as they should in both climate controls. Seems to be the wires. Have opened up the bmw connectors and all the connections are good. Crimped properly. 

I only have Carly. So cleared to codes and read it out. Results below. 

Any ideas where I should be looking? The climate harness just go into the dash and into a bigger harness. 

I fear if I give this to a garage to look into It’ll be big money as they trace their way through the dash board at my expense. Any help appreciated. It’s a lovely car with 77k on it now. I’d hate to have to get rid of it over something like this. 

180E0496-0443-461F-B23B-C8E9078CBFD8.png

8145292D-53DE-4515-A114-3197633C4B76.png

I would ask, what were you thinking putting an android HU in, but, that would not be helpful. Anyway, have you tried putting the BMW head unit back in just to see if it is related? Long shot, but might help you to understand what is going on?

Take a look to see if any fuses have blown as a result of disconnecting and connecting the control panel. Did you do this work with the battery disconnected?

Take a look at NEWTIS.INFO under wiring diagrams, search for the aircon controls and trace back there to the correct fuse/fuses.

^agree on the fuses as there is short circuits detected. But a short is only detected for the time it takes to blow the fuse but perhaps it still logs a code. That would explain why other codes are relating to stuff not responding. They can’t ‘respond’ if there is no power. 

Are those the faults with the original panel  or the replacement, I.e have you bought a duff one. 

Spent ages tracing wires and checking fuses. Why so many!!?

Turns out the problem was a the multiplug. A small piece of plastic was wedged in the socket so the plug would not go fully in. Couldn't see it hadn't gone it until you REALLY looked closely.

Once in no further problems.

PS The android head unit is a massive upgrade for my no nav CIC. I now have Nav.. whichever one I want, DAB radio and Apple CarPlay. Bring the tech in the car right up to date. Recommend the upgrade. Screen is wider and sharper too.