timk

Fan clutch

How do you tell if the fan clutch is failing on an E39 M5? Mine is seemingly on most of the time - I thought they were supposed to startup when the car is started and go off after two minutes? The part is circa £200 so keen not to throw money at it if it doesn't need doing.

If there's little noticeable difference turning the fan by hand when engine is hot and cold it's usually done.

Depending where you are in Oxfordshire I have a know good one you're welcome to try.

Ah ok. I'll try that test. No longer in Oxfordshire; now Wiltshire, thanks for the offer though.

Classic way of diagnosing a problem from the M5 forum:

"You can use a rolled newspaper technique to see if the clutch is engaged. If the fan slows and stops with the rolled newspaper, the clutch is bad."

It's a braver man than me who sticks something in to a moving fan!

Have you considered removing it altogether? I removed it on both my M5s, as long as your electric auxillary/pusher fan is good it doesn't have a problem staying cool in our climate (even in last years hot summer).

Cheers, Rob

4 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

It's a braver man than me who sticks something in to a moving fan!

Have you considered removing it altogether? I removed it on both my M5s, as long as your electric auxillary/pusher fan is good it doesn't have a problem staying cool in our climate (even in last years hot summer).

Cheers, Rob

Thats interesting Rob, you mean just literally remove the fan and clutch assembly? Saves a lot of cash as the genuine ones are pricey and fans are known to explode and go through the bonnet!

Do we get an extra 50bhp too.... ;)