moskito99

iDrive Controller not responding after battery was off

Hi!

I disconnected my battery to build new speakers in my front door (because of Airbag modules) and since then the iDrive controller (CIC incl. controller was changed in 2018) is not responding at all. Also no light. In INPA you dont see it anyways, but ISTA it is listed as not responding (its red).

I checked fuses, but there is no dedicated fuse for idrive controller, only combined one (e.g. with screen). Thats F64...but thats ok...Also checked all other (just in case). Also did power off of CIC (20 sec power button), did CIC reset via ISTA, I also used NCS Expert to push empty MAN. Battery was disconnected for hous last night, still in the morning controller doesnt respond.

None of my work at the speakers was in any way connected to iDrive Controller or CIC...I have not touched anything anywhere close to CIC or the controller...Battery was reconnected and then controller did not respond anymore...

Any ideas what I still can try?

Edited by moskito99

Hi!

I disconnected my battery to build new speakers in my front door (because of Airbag modules) and since then the iDrive controller (CIC incl. controller was changed in 2018) is not responding at all. Also no light. In INPA you dont see it anyways, but ISTA it is listed as not responding (its red).

I checked fuses, but there is no dedicated fuse for idrive controller, only combined one (e.g. with screen). Thats F64...but thats ok...Also checked all other (just in case). Also did power off of CIC (20 sec power button), did CIC reset via ISTA, I also used NCS Expert to push empty MAN. Battery was disconnected for hous last night, still in the morning controller doesnt respond.

None of my work at the speakers was in any way connected to iDrive Controller or CIC...I have not touched anything anywhere close to CIC or the controller...Battery was reconnected and then controller did not respond anymore...

Any ideas what I still can try?
Test the wiring loom for the controller m8

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have disconnected the controller and tested the 4 contacts of that plug that goes into the controller....measured with a multimeter I saw no voltage on that cable.

All that happened because of unplugging the battery and exchanging speakers in the doors. But this should not be related to power/k-CAN connection of the controller I guess....I still think it is some fuse or relais thing. INPA sais to check cables and Relais 30g....

@gonzoCan you please explain what do you mean by "m8" controller and what is the wiring loom? Sorry, Im German, but in the biggest German e60 board nobody seemed to be able to help :-(

Anyways...any help is much appreciated!

appreciated @Keliuss Also wiring loom is Kabelbaum :-) My bad...

As said above, I tested the cable to the controller and there is no voltage on it. So I assume something with communication/power to the controller (which is most likely ok I guess). So I still hope something with Fuses or Relais.

I checked fuses visually and all looked good...Fuse 64 is for Controller and CID....but CID is totally fine, so it should be good (but still replaced to make sure). I just wonder if any other fuses have an effect on the controller or its connection....

IMG_20190901_203137.jpg

IMG_20190901_203129.jpg

Edited by moskito99

Looking at the diagram you have a 0.75mm red with yellow stripe connected to fuse F64 in the rear. I would start there.

If you can read wiring diagrams this PDF should make sense. 

Xps Document.pdf

Thanks a lot. 64 was already checked....and if its out, CID is also not working....but when 64 is in, CID is working.....Ill check that wiring info...I will try to understand, but great help so far!

Ordered Relais 30G...BMW is around the corner from my work...15 EUR and worth testing when I see the diagram....

Edited by moskito99
Updated last post to inform that I ordered part

Let me just add that my car used to have old controller (2004) with big plug for spinning wheel and a smaller plug one at the extra button...I switched to CIC in 2018 with the new controller....for that 1,2,4,5 of old big plug and had to be put in the new plug of new controller 1,2,3,4....This changes the wiring a little bit at least...

Somebody told me that Relais change will not make sense anyways since the CID is working fine...I will still try :-) I can send back...

If my measurements are correct with multimeter, there is no signal on cable to idrive controller...and the same time all other devices on k-can work perfectly fine...

So main focus for me will be the next few days:

- Check anything around k-can and connection of controller to that

- Any coding issue, maybe some coding got lost due to battery off

In general all advices are greatly appreciated. I have INPA, NCS Experts and ISTA available...

Major progress :-)

I pinned out the cable from CIC Plug into the original plug from my 2004 controller...Old controller works without any issues :-)

So it seems like either my CIC controller died because of battery off/Reconnect or something happened to my coding. But since battery is usually not changing coding and also since CIC controller with 2011 CIC is more or less plug & play (except for changing vecicle order FA, removed SA606 and added 609 + $6VA), I am kind of certain my controller just died. In ISTA there are also no errors except for controller being red. Strongly doubt it is coding related (especially since it worked before battery off).

What I will do next is to try to get a (used) controller and try if its working.