E39mad

Fed up with rubbish roads

I have been running 18" summer wheels on the F11 and 17" winters. The 18"s are none run flats and the winters are run flat. Both sets of tyres have more than the legal tread remaining but are coming towards the end of their legal lives.

The roads here in East Cheshire are some of the worst in the country and have deteriorated over the last 10 years, so much so I have decided to put new all season tyres on the 17"s (none runflat Michellin Climate +) and sell the 18"s. I know the aesthetics of looking at the car will not be so good but ultimately it is more about comfort for me now I am over the age of 50 and it is an SE rather a M Sport so doesn't look too bad!  

I'll be sticking the 18"s up for sale next week if anyone fancies a set in time for winter (would need to put your own winters on). 

Cant believe they can be much worse than down here Rupert. Some of the main roads around here make me wince - busy junction nearby is riddled with pot holes...

And yet one very nice dead end street by the park received a lovely new surface, granite kerb stones and new brick setts.....hmmmm

41 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I have been running 18" summer wheels on the F11 and 17" winters. The 18"s are none run flats and the winters are run flat. Both sets of tyres have more than the legal tread remaining but are coming towards the end of their legal lives.

The roads here in East Cheshire are some of the worst in the country and have deteriorated over the last 10 years, so much so I have decided to put new all season tyres on the 17"s (none runflat Michellin Climate +) and sell the 18"s. I know the aesthetics of looking at the car will not be so good but ultimately it is more about comfort for me now I am over the age of 50 and it is an SE rather a M Sport so doesn't look too bad!  

I'll be sticking the 18"s up for sale next week if anyone fancies a set in time for winter (would need to put your own winters on). 

We were down at Peckforton Castle not so long ago; the roads getting there were bloody awful... Really rattled my teeth in my E39 running 18s etc

However; the roads here in Preston are worse and it's mainly the town roads that are the worst of the lot.. The B roads/country rounds around us are rough, but they're easier to drive on as you can maneuver around the rough spots etc

I think the consumption will improve in the summer being on narrower tyres. 

Another reason for this is that we are in the process of getting planning consent for a new house within our garden which means the demolition of a large annex which currently stores the spare wheels. Won't have anywhere to store them in a couple of years and the E36 lives in the garage. Also I won't have to change them over every autumn/spring....those wheels and tyres are flamin heavy!!

The UK is broke.... I've just come back from Turkey and every time I go there I can't believe how good their roads are in general in comparison to the UK.... driving along main dual carriageways is a pleasure... usually billiard table smooth tarmac with hardly any holes or worn patches...some of the roads in towns have the odd pot hole but nowhere near as bad as what we commonly come across these days in the UK...

The only poor roads tend to be very rural roads often leading to secluded and remote villages or isolated coastal bays and beaches...

Road repairs and construction gets done quickly and without major disruption or miles of cones left in place for months on end...... 

Granted the standard of driving is at times somewhat poor but seldom (if at all) do people froth at the mouth due to being overtaken or block other drivers trying to overtake.

Right turns on red traffic lights are permitted along with flashing amber at night rather than waiting for traffic lights to cycle through, everything seems to rely upon a much more "common sense" approach to everything including parking which seems to be that you can park pretty much where you want as long as you don't cause too much of an obstruction...

Last year I was blocked in by a car parked behind me ... as I went to unlock my car, a barber came running out his shop with a set of car keys which he gave to me so I could move the car that was blocking me in, he went back in to his shop to continue shaving the guy whose car it was whilst I moved the it. I got mine out and then parked the other car where I was and then the barber ran out again and I gave him the keys ... All very polite and courteous... imagine trying that in the UK....

You are spot on about Turkey.  I have been going there for well over 20 years and back then there were no roads to talk about. In a town called Altinkum, the streets and roads leading into it had been prepared for two years with kerbs etc, waiting for the 'taracadamy' men, (as one local called them) to come.  Suddenly one day the arrived.  It was like a town being liberated during the war as the convoy appeared over the hill.  People lined the streets cheering and clapping and the kids were all let out of school.   Now I would venture to suggest that Turkey has the best road and motorway system in the business and expanding by the year.

Regarding the roads in the UK. I blame the Romans. What have they ever done for us re; potholes etc!

5 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Cant believe they can be much worse than down here Rupert. Some of the main roads around here make me wince - busy junction nearby is riddled with pot holes...

And yet one very nice dead end street by the park received a lovely new surface, granite kerb stones and new brick setts.....hmmmm

Most likely some local Councillor lives there ... 

7 hours ago, E39mad said:

The roads here in East Cheshire are some of the worst in the country [..]

Then I suggest you to come visit Eastern Europe, especially Lithuania or Latvia - it will give you all-new benchmark regarding what "rubbish road" means. 

This is a running joke here - one guy sent a proposal to our road safety department to simply place these kinds of warning signs at every border crossing point into our country:

nelidzens_cels.jpg

15 minutes ago, Zusurs said:

Then I suggest you to come visit Eastern Europe, especially Lithuania or Latvia - it will give you all-new benchmark regarding what "rubbish road" means. 

How much vehicle tax do you pay? I live in Staffordshire and some of the roads here are 3rd world quality.

2 broken coil springs, 2 damaged rims and 3 ruined tyres in the last 3 years!

Edited by greenelekta

As well as the crap physical condition of our roads, we also have some of the most congested roads of any European country, thats probably a result of under investment, and unlimited imigration. 

Edited by Steve van hool

12 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

As well as the crap physical condition of our roads, we also have some of the most congested roads of any European country, thats probably a result of under investment, and unlimited imigration. 

Deary me. So it’s the immigrants fault.

With a name like van hool I doubt you are full british or whatever. I don’t know why I read this forum sometimes 

I was involved in motor racing years (too many) ago and when going from Belfast into Southern Ireland there was a minor road that knocked miles off the main route driving the transporter.  It was dotted with so many large potholes that one local wag had erected a large sign at the start of it which stated.

WARNING!  SCUD MISSILE TESTING AREA.

On 11/09/2019 at 09:35, E39mad said:

The roads here in East Cheshire are some of the worst in the country and have deteriorated over the last 10 years

I think all the UK roads have deteriorated notably over the past 10 years - has gone hand-in-hand with austerity/funds for repairs being cut.

In Oxfordshire they have a FixMyStreet website where you can report potholes, defects, etc and they usually repair relatively promptly. Not sure if they have the same where you are, but it only takes 30 secs to fill-in.

39 minutes ago, ttrw2 said:

I think all the UK roads have deteriorated notably over the past 10 years - has gone hand-in-hand with austerity/funds for repairs being cut.

In Oxfordshire they have a FixMyStreet website where you can report potholes, defects, etc and they usually repair relatively promptly. Not sure if they have the same where you are, but it only takes 30 secs to fill-in.

It's countrywide that website I think; used it a lot here in . Preston, they're VERY slow to react to it :roll: 

This is the web site I use for reporting potholes. You can upload pictures too.  Gives a documented reference of how long the roads/highway authority has know about the defect in the event of a claim.

https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/report

My local authority are shocking at repairing the roads as can be seen by the number of times the same hazard has been reported. 

I got £490 back from them after I did this to my E60.  New rim, tyre and full four wheel alignment.  Cost me £515 so I did o.k. in my claim.

DSCN0034.jpg

Yep - we have the ability to report potholes but as with Dan nothing seems to get done. Potholes are just part of the problem as the road surfaces are rubbish or are a mish mash following works resulting in poor ride. 

Cheshire East are one of worst authorities in the country for money - almost went bankrupt and there are/were a lot of a very well paid "executives" (I use the word loosely as many were not there for being investigated for irregularities) who were suspended on full pay whilst investigations took place. 

Edited by E39mad

The website linked above by Andrew and FixMyStreet aren't just for Potholes, you can report anything from graffiti to abandoned cars or overgrown verges blocking views at junctions.  They at the very least give you the opportunity to make your Local Authority aware, and for their response to be tracked. 

I'm with you on this - the road's have become an appalling state in the UK. But you can't expect your Local Authority to act on something if they don't know about it.

Agree on dropping a wheel size for taller/more comfy tyres btw. Considering fitting a set of 17" Style 66's to the M5 to enjoy it more.

1 hour ago, ttrw2 said:

The website linked above by Andrew and FixMyStreet aren't just for Potholes, you can report anything from graffiti to abandoned cars or overgrown verges blocking views at junctions.  They at the very least give you the opportunity to make your Local Authority aware, and for their lack of response to be tracked. 

Corrected that for you mate! :D

18" alloys now up for sale on the Alloys link or click here: