e34m525i

Possibly considering one of these....

I’ve currently got 3 e39s, I like the look of the 60 now it’s ageing, I’ve got a set of e63 218 19” wheels that is the main motivator for me thinking about an e60 purchase!

in real world what’s people’s experiences with them for rust and general issues, I’m considering a 530/535d, I know about the gearbox issues, swirl flaps, turbos, and pumps that go etc, I’ve heard I drive can be temperamental although I’ve never used it experienced it to date, any thing major to look out for? I guess there similar to e39 fir the usual bushing wear etc 

any tips that that could help me find a decent one would be good

also considering petrol models too, m54 used on early ones, how do the later engines compare?

thanks for any tips/help

Good luck finding a petrol one, they are few and far between but worth looking! :)

There are plenty of posts on here about EGR and main thermostat failures. These are linked to high fuel consumption and constipated DPF. Sadly, with no temperature gauge you need to access the dashboard hidden menu or have access to diagnostic software to check coolant temperature. 

Aircon condenser and power steering fluid cooler are both exposed to stone damage (I've had both renewed). 

Apart from that ours has been pretty good. Enjoy the hunt. 

Edited by pidgeonpost

I've just purchased a e61 530d m sport in the last three weeks & so far I'm loving it

Yeah it has issues to work through,  both stat's, non working i drive, tailgate wiring, air compressor & 

Noisy crap runflats.

But it's built like a tank, goes like a scalded cat if you floor it, is a really nice place to sit &

seems much less prone to rust than our e46's we had

It get's a thumbs up from me, I like to go through my car's & get them right anyway.

I love mine..even though its cost me a bomb this year...cant bring myself to sell it.

Wont get anything close for the money.

Always looks modern.

56 minutes ago, e34m525i said:

what’s people’s experiences with them for rust

I've been here on this forum for just over a year and been pretty active. I think this is the first time I've heard "rust" and "E60" mentioned together lol. The front end is aluminium for a start. I'm not saying there are no rust issues but they must be few and far between. 

In general I'm happy with mine. Had an E39 previously. I don't think Idrives are temperamental but there will always be issues with some, and they are getting a little dated for some peoples needs nowadays but there are reasonably cheap Android upgrades available that are a straight swap, plug and play.

Keliuss

I saw an e61 in Ireland recently and for the first time I clocked quite bad rust on the rear quarter.

Maybe a poor repair but Worth looking out for I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 530i N53 engine and after the injectors replaced the engine efficiency is amazing. knowing what I know now and was in the market for an E60 I would opt for the N52 530i as it has a lot less problems and cheaper to maintain

Jay

I have an 08 144k miles. 

Got the car last year with 132k and full service history and told that it's never needed a thing outside of servicing in the time the previous owner had it (2011). 

So in my time of ownership: 

Gearbox service (bridge seals ect)

Air con condenser

Swirl flap removal

iPod MOST module went down

Tailgate/boot hinge wiring fault

Rust on the boot lid right at the edges under the glass on both sides

Produced an oil leak that I can't find

All control arms, drop links and rod ends went bad on the front

Pana Sunroof went bad (easy fix) 

On top of that there is general servicing and maintenance inside what you would expect like brake pads all round, two oil changes and all filters changed ect. 

All in all it's been completely worth it. I still love it and I've never owned a car that makes me feel like this one. 

IMG_20190112_141742.jpg

12 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

I've just purchased a e61 530d m sport in the last three weeks & so far I'm loving it

Yeah it has issues to work through,  both stat's, non working i drive, tailgate wiring, air compressor & 

Noisy crap runflats.

But it's built like a tank, goes like a scalded cat if you floor it, is a really nice place to sit &

seems much less prone to rust than our e46's we had

It get's a thumbs up from me, I like to go through my car's & get them right anyway.

I agree with all above. My e61 535 d is now on 230k, though I have had to replace alot of items. Hoping to pass the 312k that I got on my e39 525tds.

Only been here a short time after getting my 525D M-Sport. I absolutely love it. Only thing it compares to for me is my old L322 Range Rover. Would take it out as first choice over the wife’s Juke Nismo or my Transporter and for an old car it still feels special when driving it. Don’t dismiss the diesels as this 525D still amazes me with the torque in 3rd through 6th gears. Mines a manual so doesn’t have the gearbox worries and a saloon doesn’t have the obvious tailgate wiring maladies. Mine is showing just under 187k and still feels fresh and cost me less than £2k!

96B360AA-18D7-4284-B4A5-513DDE795E3A.thumb.jpeg.e6721f8bffe257a69b6b84887046b242.jpeg

Edited by Exuptoy

I've never seen a rusty E60, only corrosion I had was rear brake lines and the suspension balljoint threads.  A few tatty wheels but that's it.  Sadly some of them are being 'improved' by a select bunch of knuckle draggers.

Other than the issues you mention, expect to rebuild the front suspension every ~70,000 miles.  Easy DIY.

I had a rare E60 in that I had virtually no electrical gremlins in it.  All the electrics still worked at 12 years old and it was still on its original battery.  I had way more electrical gremlins on the E39 than the E60.

I liked it and had no issues in day to day use.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sadly some of them are being 'improved' by a select bunch of knuckle draggers.

Are you saying people who mod their cars are knuckle draggers?.

Are you calling me a knuckle dragger?

I've just (in the last few days) come into E61 ownership after a couple of years of E39 (a 530d touring SE, and a 523i saloon with sport package) ownership. Initial impressions are extremely positive to be honest. The cabin feels like I'm driving a significantly more modern car, whereas the E39 felt far more of it's era. Road manners are great.. car feels nimble in a way that neither of my E39's do despite one of them also being a sport and being on almost identical mileage (approx 122k). Auto box is far faster and intuitive than the one on the E39 too. I do miss the simplicity of the non-iDrive system in some respects but I do also appreciate that it has reduced the number of buttons, etc all over the dash. 

Overall I really like it and am really pleased with my purchase. It's almost a shock each morning to come out and find one on the drive as honestly it feels like it should be a more expensive car than it actually was. There's a worry at the back of my mind about the increase in electronics and what sounds like a need to code all kinds of things to the car if they break, etc but.. will deal with those issues as and when (or if) they occur! 

23 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

I have an 08 144k miles. 

Got the car last year with 132k and full service history and told that it's never needed a thing outside of servicing in the time the previous owner had it (2011). 

So in my time of ownership: 

Gearbox service (bridge seals ect)

Air con condenser

Swirl flap removal

iPod MOST module went down

Tailgate/boot hinge wiring fault

Rust on the boot lid right at the edges under the glass on both sides

Produced an oil leak that I can't find

All control arms, drop links and rod ends went bad on the front

Pana Sunroof went bad (easy fix) 

On top of that there is general servicing and maintenance inside what you would expect like brake pads all round, two oil changes and all filters changed ect. 

All in all it's been completely worth it. I still love it and I've never owned a car that makes me feel like this one. 

If you have full service history, you can get it done under the 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

The E39 does have a few things better than the E60.

Heating controls twiddly via idrive, on E60, dash knob on the E39

No boot release on E60, button on E39 dash

No curry hook in E60 boot, CD changer pull handle on E39 inner rear wing made a great curry hook.

But none of that mattered on my E60 as it was far quicker than the E39 it replaced. :D

Dependng on the year of E60 

i didnt have to go through the idrive for the heating

There was a button for the boot release at my right foot (same as my F10) 

and you can buy a hook for the boot.

at 10yrs old mine had the typical bubble of rust on the bootlid which is common for the saloon.