Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fizz

tyre bods... Need some advice.

Recommended Posts

So currently im running Bridgestone S001 / 225/50/17 all round and im looking to replace the rears. 

2 questions then... can i run 225/45/17 without anything too noticeable and also ive seen a couple of different bridgestone options. 

S001
https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/bridgestone/potenza-s001/?SKU=2254517BR001Y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_PCI5f_F5AIVR7TtCh0RZgrCEAQYAyABEgKmcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

T005
https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/bridgestone/turanza-t005/?SKU=2254517BR05Y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw9jtq4HE5AIVAuDtCh1nIgLCEAQYASABEgJ97PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone used both of these and did you notice any difference between them?

Cheers
Fizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing to 225/45/17 size will reduce the diameter of the wheel slightly so would throw out your speedo and everything else that uses inputs from the rear wheel sensors.  You would need to do it on all four corners, not just the rear ideally.  If you reduce the height aspect to 45 you would need to increase the width to 245.

 

I had 17" Bridgestones on my first E60.  They gave a very harsh ride in comparison to the 18" Dunlops on my second E60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Why did you want to change size anyway? 


Its a bit too soft for my liking round corners with the high sidewall. Also with me looking to get it remapped in the near future i wanted more contact patch on the floor as it slips as it is in standard form in anything but perfect dry conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

245/45 tyres would be quite wide on a rim meant for 225/50.

 

Bear in mind you will now have different sized tyres front v rear which may cause possible issues with relative speeds of the wheels.  I wouldn't be long changing the fronts to 225/45 to match.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

245/45 tyres would be quite wide on a rim meant for 225/50.

 

Bear in mind you will now have different sized tyres front v rear which may cause possible issues with relative speeds of the wheels.  I wouldn't be long changing the fronts to 225/45 to match.

 


Agreed on both points. I got about 5 and 6 mm left on the fronts so wont be long to be fair. I did consider the 235 on the rims but then it looks likes its bulging out on 225s so thought best not take the risk for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

As long as you are aware and if you notice issues with the autobox/ABS/ASC/DTC/speedo/cruise you know what to do. ;)


JEEEEEEEZZZZ lol

You saying that all that could be affected by me reducing the sidewall by 5mm on the rear? holy crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fizz said:


JEEEEEEEZZZZ lol

You saying that all that could be affected by me reducing the sidewall by 5mm on the rear? holy crap. 

 

Tyre calculator: https://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator/

 

An invaluable tool when it comes to stuff like this!

 

As Andrew said; looks like you'll have issues if you fit those, send em back and get the right sizes ;) 

 

+/- 2.5% max; anything more and it'll cause problems unfortunately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fizz said:

sod it... im going to be safe and go for 225/45/17
 

2019-09-11_1147

 

 

3.5% difference from 225/50/17; it's too much. You'd need 235/45 minimum 

 

As said above; use that tyre calculator to see what you can run :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Tyre calculator: https://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator/

 

An invaluable tool when it comes to stuff like this!

 

As Andrew said; looks like you'll have issues if you fit those, send em back and get the right sizes ;) 

 

+/- 2.5% max; anything more and it'll cause problems unfortunately 


That is one brilliant tool which i will be book marking accordingly! Cheers.

I have gone for 245/45/17 as per the advice above by Deviant and also checking out that tyre calculator for myself. 

Everyday is a school day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in fitted for £208... hopefully this Friday.

 

Quantity Part Code Description Discount Price VAT Total
2 2454517BR5W Bridgestone : 245/45 W 17 : Turanza T005 P (Rim Protector fitment)   £162.00 £32.40 £194.40
2 DIS Environmental tyre disposal -£2.72 £1.07 £0.21 £1.28
2 TG2 Tyre guarantee (15" +) (excludes run flats) -£7.50 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00
2 VAL New valve (cap & core if TPMS fitted) -£7.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00
2 WB1 Wheel balancing   £10.83 £2.17 £13.00
1 VSI Complimentary Summer Safety Check (excludes mobile fitting)   £0.00 £0.00 £0.00
Total £173.90 £34.78 £208.68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, fizz said:


That is one brilliant tool which i will be book marking accordingly! Cheers.

I have gone for 245/45/17 as per the advice above by Deviant and also checking out that tyre calculator for myself. 

Everyday is a school day. 

 

 

https://www.willtheyfit.com is a prettier version of that with more information. You can change offsets too when looking to fit new wheels. 

Edited by Deviant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deviant said:

 

 

https://www.willtheyfit.com is a prettier version of that with more information. You can change offsets too when looking to fit new wheels. 


You're right... with this one though you need to know the offsets to begin with along with the width of the rim.

I came across this site which i presume others already use. 

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels/5_series_e60_alloys

There should be a sticky somewhere for noobs like me to find this information as its invaluable. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
5 minutes ago, fizz said:


You're right... with this one though you need to know the offsets to begin with along with the width of the rim.

 

 

For your purposes today, you would just need to make sure they match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deviant said:

https://www.bmwoemwheels.com too for OEM sizes


Cool... so going by that website for my particular alloy it has this information...

It states both a 20mm offset and a 43mm... Why are there 2 different offsets? 

 

BMW wheel style 138

This Factory OEM BMW wheels comes on a BMW 5 series E60 model. The BMW style number for this wheel is bmw style 138. This is an aluminum wheel with a diameter of 17" and a width of 7,5". This BMW wheels has 5 lug holes and a bolt pattern of 120mm. The offset of this BMW rim is 20 mm and 43 mm. The corresponding OEM part number for this rim is BMW part number(s): 36116762001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, fizz said:


Cool... so going by that website for my particular alloy it has this information...

It states both a 20mm offset and a 43mm... Why are there 2 different offsets? 

 

BMW wheel style 138

This Factory OEM BMW wheels comes on a BMW 5 series E60 model. The BMW style number for this wheel is bmw style 138. This is an aluminum wheel with a diameter of 17" and a width of 7,5". This BMW wheels has 5 lug holes and a bolt pattern of 120mm. The offset of this BMW rim is 20 mm and 43 mm. The corresponding OEM part number for this rim is BMW part number(s): 36116762001


Staggered set up, the 43 offset will more than likely be for the rears 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realoem only list style 138 has having an offset of 20mm. Offset of 20mm is standard on 7.5” and 8” E60 rim.

 

Other wheel styles appear on both an E46 and E60 but have different offsets. 

 

As you aren’t changing the rim style the offset doesn’t matter so as long as you put something sensible for the offsets in the “wheel will they fit websites”, you’ll be rightly.

 

Apologies I should have linked a tyre calculator in my first post. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

Realoem only list style 138 has having an offset of 20mm. Offset of 20mm is standard on 7.5” and 8” E60 rim.

 

Other wheel styles appear on both an E46 and E60 but have different offsets. 

 

As you aren’t changing the rim style the offset doesn’t matter so as long as you put something sensible for the offsets in the “wheel will they fit websites”, you’ll be rightly.

 

Apologies I should have linked a tyre calculator in my first post. 

 

 


See thats where i was a tad confused as currently its 225/50/17 all round. one of the fronts has a nail in it and one of the rears has one in too. Was hoping to swap one of the fronts with one of the rears so if they are different offsets then that wont be possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×