shauney

Rear brake pads - leg lifted?

Car is in for oil service - sadly the last one on the surprise "service inclusive" package that came with the car.

Both the front and rear brakes have been saying 3200 miles left for the last 15000+ miles but they've now told me that the rears are down to 5mm with 4mm being the minimum and they'll need fettling "soon".

Cost of fettling? £277.34 which to me sounds a tad rich...

F10 530d on a 15 plate.

1 hour ago, shauney said:

Car is in for oil service - sadly the last one on the surprise "service inclusive" package that came with the car.

Both the front and rear brakes have been saying 3200 miles left for the last 15000+ miles but they've now told me that the rears are down to 5mm with 4mm being the minimum and they'll need fettling "soon".

Cost of fettling? £277.34 which to me sounds a tad rich...

F10 530d on a 15 plate.

£277.34 for just the rears?

Ours comes up £216.44 on the BMW service website.

You can buy Brembo rear pads and a Pagid wear sensor for <£50 on EuroCarParts with the discount code. I am not sure what an indy would charge for labour but its less than an hours work on a driveway from start to finish so perhaps call some Independants to ask their prices? 

I would never pay someone to do discs and pads, saves me a fortune in money over the years of running two cars. 

BMW service website are quoting me £210 for rear pads.  Probably about half of that is parts and the other half labour.

So yes, you are having your leg pulled.

Simple enough DIY if using diagnostics to retract the parking brake or the mechanism can be rewound using a Torx key after unbolting the actuators.  Few videos for this on youtube.

Well i bought my pads and discs for £195 including sensor from harry fairbairn at giffknock they are on ebay. Mine is the 520dse so yours could be more expensive but might worth to ask them.

If you going to diy one thing to bear in mind my discs were tight on there so you need a rubber mallet. 

Apart from that was really straight forward, i had the ista so the retracting to calipers was not an issue might worth to invest it.

Edited by Erhan

I recently did rear pads on my 520d. Didn't need discs but pads were easy enough. I used the torx key method to retract the calipers. Not sure if that is frowned upon on here as it's best to do proper way but have not had any issues with mine.

BMW service website is showing £210 for rear pads for mine. Pads cost around £110 and sensor is £25 so for main dealer fitting I guess £210 isn't massively over the top, not sure why your quote is much higher. If you need discs too, that's when they start pulling your pants down.

10 hours ago, Flames34 said:

I used the torx key method to retract the calipers. Not sure if that is frowned upon on here as it's best to do proper way but have not had any issues with mine.

Not at all. That was the method I have seen on YouTube. I think there is a warning not to go too far when winding them back though as if they hit the stops it throws a code.

Cool, I wound mine back gently til it stopped. I used torx socket and spun by hand rather than ratchet and stopped as soon as there was resistance. I would say if using this method give the area a good clean to prevent dirt/dust getting into the motor. If doing outside try to avoid windy day to help keep clean and dust free.

4 hours ago, sjj84 said:

BMW service website is showing £210 for rear pads for mine. Pads cost around £110 and sensor is £25 so for main dealer fitting I guess £210 isn't massively over the top, not sure why your quote is much higher. If you need discs too, that's when they start pulling your pants down.

From my quick search on the interwebs, You can pick up my favored brand of pads (Ferrodo) on the rears for the 530d at a price of £50 plus another small amount for the sensor. 

Brake servicing at the main agents are priced poorly imo

Update: I spoke to my dealer contact when I picked it up last night and mentioned that the brake pricing seemed a tad rich. He shook his head, said to ignore the quoted price and to call him when they needed doing.

I do have what I think is a decent relationship with him (both he and the workshop manager make a point of coming across to see me if i'm ever in there) so we shall see what happens in a few months when i've used that last millimetre up.

Thanks all for your input.

Mine has gone from 30000 miles yesterday to saying 430 miles today on the rears. 

I'm presuming the sensor has gone through. Also presuming someone reset the rear brakes in the service menu when they weren't actually done. 

9 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Doesn't the sensor simply put a light on? It doesn't actually affect what is shown on the idrive. Mine says 50000 miles to go, bmw measured the pads as 4mm.

The sensor is a 2 stage affair in the F10/11 cars. Once it wears through the first sensor wire it will trigger a green warning - this will need happening in the next xx miles. Once it wears through the seconds wire it shows a red warning and the mileage to replace will suddenly drop again. 

Looking at my rear pads at the weekend they look circa 4mm and the disc has a lip on it.  To me, pads and discs needs replacing. Meanwhile in iDrive land, its quite happily sitting in the green saying 70,000 miles to go. 

Rear pads were replaced at 34,000 miles before I bought it and I've not even added 20,000 miles to that tally and I'd say they won't make another 14,000 miles.

No I don't drive everywhere with the traction control constantly reigning me in either before someone suggests that! :P  And I don't use the cruise. 

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 08:11, Matthew Ashton said:

Once it wears through the first sensor wire it will trigger a green warning - this will need happening in the next xx miles. Once it wears through the seconds wire it shows a red warning and the mileage to replace will suddenly drop again. 

On mine it was green then as the pad sensor indicated wear on the fronts, the first warning as such was a yellow warning at 1,300 miles. It had dropped suddenly from 11,000 miles to 3,000 miles which will have been the sensor wearing thru the stages. I drove it watching the remaining mileage and visually checking the pads until I changed them when the idrive was down to 1,100 miles but still giving a yellow warning.

IMG-2-4246.jpg

It will go to red warning when a service is overdue.