dmof

Pre-facelift headlights into a facelift e39

Im in a slight pickle at the moment. My e39 has failed mot on the headlight alignment. The adjusters are broken in my facelift headlights and a new set of facelift headlights are £250 on ebay. 

There are a tonne of prefacelift headlights for a much more reasonable price. So I'm wondering, will pre-facelift headlights fit into a facelift model?

Is the wiring different? If so, what would I need to change to make them work?

The retest is in 9 days so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Why don't you just renew the adjusters?

Already had a go at doing the passengerside one and wrecked it. That's what I get for being stubborn and not looking up how to do it first lol

Facelift units might need different connectors, I 've seen this discussed here many times.

@d_a_n1979 might be able to comment there.

Edited by Loadmaster

They do have different connectors.

I had a preface car which had some aftermarket angel eyes fitted. These were for a facelift design, so the previous owner cut off the plugs and soldered in facelift versions.

When I put the headlights back to the correct preface ambers, I had to buy new preface connector plugs from BMW and have them soldered back on.

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Facelift units might need different connectors, I 've seen this discussed here many times.

@d_a_n1979 might be able to comment there.

Cheers Keith

As @stu08 has already said; some of the connectors are different, so it's not plug n play

However; it'd make more sense sticking the correct headlights back in, unless a) you can't be bothered and b.) can't afford the costs etc - If you're on any of the BMW E39 related pages/groups on FB @dmof there are sets being sold on there IIRC; see if any of the breakers on here are selling facelift headlights too (look in the for sale section, or add a wanted ad in the Wanted section). Check on FB and keep your eye on eBay too.

There was a reseller called 'best for fresh lights' that'd refurb and re polish headlights and sell them on eBay; he'll buy your old lights off you too FYI; worth seeing if he's still on there :) 

Original post said the existing lights were facelift and later post that he's got a set of facelift now.  Possibly all sorted.