PhilMc

Stripped Torx Head

On my 2011 F10 saloon I'm trying to remove the panel that covers the yellow grommet where rain enters and ends up in the rear footwell (see heavy rain & the very helpful 32 pages of posts on the subject). Apparently there should be 4 torx fittings to remove. I've done two and the only remaining one I can find, the bottom one is now refusing to move. I've managed to strip the torx head enough so that there's insufficient grip for it to undo. I've added WD40, tried mole grips and used a long screwdriver as a drift to try and turn it without success. I suspect the previous owner may have crossed the threads and lost one torx fitting but I'm now looking for any suggestions to help me undo the last one. Access is tight so drills are a non-starter. Any help much appreciated.1109334417_Strippedtorxhead.thumb.jpg.b2dfdb0690d8097343ff7edd56ace082.jpg

Stripped torx head 2.jpg

Not familiar with the F10 or where that bit lives. But things I would try :

A different torx socket if you have one. Give it a whack to make sure if is home fully. You might just be lucky and get enough grip to shift it

Shock it. That means one sharp blow with the hammer - not beat it to a pulp. Then put a dent in the head with a punch and drive it round with same

Cut a groove in it so you can use a flat headed screwdriver.

Use the next size up of torx or even allen key socket. Hammer it into the head of the screw*

File flats on the screw and try again with small mole grips

* Probably my first choice.

Thanks for the quick response. Lack of hammer swinging room is a problem but to my surprise I've managed to get a cordless drill in there. It's not made much effect on the bolt so far but it gives me another option.

If you have a Dremel wih a flexible shaft you could try cutting a slot in the head of the screw and then use a flat bladed screwdriver on it.

I would drive it up on a set of ramps or jack it up and support it and remove the underbelly and go up from underneath, that might be easier in this situation.

I would then try the above methods.

Judging by your first picture I think that your stuck bolt is the lower one that screws into the bulkhead. You should be able to get two arms down into that gap if you remove to top engine cover which is quite wide on the 2.0d IIRC.

I've moved this to the F10/11 section to see if anyone else has advice.

Thanks for your suggestions folks, I can feel a Dremel coming on! Hope perseverance will pay off.

Also strange is the fact that you cannot find the forth bolt? It does seem that yours has been off before maybe and the butchered back on. I bet the bolt that is missing is the one that faces the wheel arch as that was the worse one to get back on when i did mine. I had to take the cover off and make the hole oval to ensure I could get that bolt back in.

Also, the point made above regarding different torx bolts is valid as I had not idea they were slightly different to the standard star bolts.

Are you using good quality torx socket?

May sound stupid, but have cheap spanners/ sockets before that round heads off, but mate came round with his snap on sockets and still managed to remove them. I know bolts and torx fittings are different, but I would say probably same principle.

You could always go to local garage and ask if they can remove it for you. 

Even with quite a bit of rounding an impact tool might succeed especially if you can get some pressure on it and they don’t need a lot of space seeing as you’ve already managed a drill.

Fairly sure there were 4 bolts on mine, the fourth was on the right hand side, difficult to see it had to do it more by feel. When replacing the cover as others have said it's a bit fiddly to get them all lined up.

SUCCESS! The Dremel failed to make much of an impression on the bolt so the shock tactic which I'd previously tried was used again. Long screwdriver as a drift onto the top of the bolt and a decent whack enabled the mole grips to turn and release. Cover removed, a bit of leaf litter shifted and a prod with a wire followed by compressed air down the drain hole. Still deciding whether to silicone seal the grommet or leave the cover off. One awkward job!