Sign in to follow this  
guido45

Oh no! Touring rear suspension gone flat

Hi all

Went out for a drive this evening and my left hand airbag has gone; well I'm pretty sure as I heard the compressor running and a hissing noise and the car is on it's ar5e :(. The spacers I'm using have meant I've rubbed a band into the tyres on the way home - not too bad although it sounded awful.

Won't know for sure until I get under the old beast tomorrow, but didn't someone recommend an aftermarket provider for them on here? I can't find it...  it's a Sport if that makes a difference.

Could also do with a quick guide, believe it is fairly straightforward?

Thanks in advance

When I replaced one of my rear air springs I used Arnott, they seem to be the best.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/arnott-13243666.html

Not sure how to fit it as I got a garage to do it for me. Just be aware right and left are different part numbers. Left ends in 3, right ends in 4.

Edited by LifeOfDesire

Arnott, Aerosus are both well regarded. That being said I have had cheapy eBay ones on my touring for over two years (cost something ridiculous like 60 quid a pair) and have had fairly significant loads in the car over that time without any dramas. 

This happened to me a couple of years ago. An airbag blew out on the a1 at 60mph.  I was lucky to keep the cat straight.  Anyway I did a load of research and found arnott regarded much higher than others even oem I think.  Highly regarded in the 4wd off-road community.  I fitted arnott (got them from hids direct)  very pleased with them.  The one part fits sport or normal suspension with no problems unlike oem where there are different part numbers.  Arnott come with new circlips which are different from the oem and must be fitted the right way around.  Very easy to fit may be half an hour per side as a diy.  Plenty of forum posts on how to do it.  I think the arnotts came with instructions anyway.

Arnott provide instructions on their website but it’s a fairly easy diy anyway. Only caveat really is those stupid clips on top of the springs and not breaking them on removal but if they provide new ones anyway then that’s one less thing to worry about :) 

Thanks all, I went with Aerosus as they were around half the price of Arnott as I want to do both at the same time.

Will driving the circa 5 mile commute do any damage to the car? It's all country lanes, I'm thinking the bump stops may take a battering?

I would not drive the car.  It could get worse.  When mine broke it was sudden and the car was all over the place.  It could have been worse.  If you are going for aerosus then be very careful with the original plastic clips as if you break them they are not available other than second hand.or with a new spring from bmw.  I don't think aerosus come with clips.  Reviews are mixed by the way.

Sorted it in my lunch break - took me about an hour for the one side but part of that was digging out a "lost" 13mm ring spanner which you definitely need.

I used this guide if anyone is looking for one:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?942496-Replacing-Air-Spring-on-E39-Touring