RichardP

Jerky steering while Manoeuvering

Looking for some pointers as to the cause of jerky steering when stationary or moving very slowly. The car is my M5 Touring with servotronic steering. The jerky ness is worse when cold and better if the engine is revving a bit, the faster you turn the wheel the more it jerks, but even turning the wheel slowly is jerky.

Ive checked the hydraulic fluid level, which was a little low and has been topped up, and as far as I can tell the belt that drives the pump is not slipping. 

Anyone any any idea what the cause might be?

Does it need bleeding? Wheels in the air and a few turns lock to lock?

I think I recall the feeling you are describing an kind of tightening and releasing as if it's binding?

Or could it be an over adjusted steering box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've whizzed the wheel back and forth several times but not with the wheels in the air.  Does that make a difference?

I think your description is right, first time I felt it I just thought it was the tyres gripping then slipping on the garage floor tiles.  The wheel is not hard to turn at all, and you also get a thumping sound as the wheel turns.  As the car warms up the frequency reduces until it does not do it at all.

Would the steering box adjustment cause this?  From what I've read (and I'm new to the E34 so that's maybe not a lot!) under adjustment causes sloppy steering, over adjustment makes it too tight and difficult to turn.

I think your right about the box. It either doesn’t self centre or you get a tight spot around dead ahead so probably a last resort. 

I think left to right right on the ground is probably fine I’ve done t in the air normally as that’s how the car was at the time but you can wind it easily right to the stops. 

Im wracking my brains as to when I experienced it and why but I have a feeling it was a fluid bleeding issue. 

My my experience was an e28 but pretty much the same underneath. 

No no experience of the servotronic bit mind. 

Steering fluid is new as the shocks were rebuilt, so it all needed refilling and bleeding etc.

The only conclusion I think is that the pump is knackered.

Definitely worth a look - i'm sure the feeling you describe was when refreshing the PAS before bleeding so if you are happy its bleed then low pressure from a duff pump seems likely suspect?

Check belt again, otherwise I don't know. Steering wheel looks easy/smooth to turn so why would it be  the pump?

Edited by greenelekta

Replaced the pump with a remanufactured one as new are no longer available, problem has gone. So unless I managed to dislodge a very stubborn air lock in the process, looks like the pump was on its way out.