Jump to content
Someone

Who go to a Indy if price same as dealer

Recommended Posts

I have noticed Independent Specialists prices are not that different to dealers, so wonder why ppl go to Indys...is it to support local businesses? Or more flexible in helping ad hoc if needed? 

 

Recent brake fluid price is same as dealer..so wonder why ppl go to the Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horse for course. YMMV, etc. 

 

My indy is significantly cheaper and I know the guy personally so that’s my reasoning but I went to the dealer in the first three years of ownership when I had a brand new f10 because I knew I’d be putting it back into the dealer network at some point and that’s what people look for in a car of that age. If you’ve got a car of an age that falls outside of those parameters then you pays your money and you takes your choice, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, Someone said:

I have noticed Independent Specialists prices are not that different to dealers, so wonder why ppl go to Indys...is it to support local businesses? Or more flexible in helping ad hoc if needed? 

 

Recent brake fluid price is same as dealer..so wonder why ppl go to the Indy


It depends on your local independent.

 

Ours charges £180 for a minor service vs £280 for BMW so its a decent saving.

 

People use a dealer for the stamp, its rarely because the dealer does a better job but mentally the dealer stamp makes buyers/sellers think the car is worth more or perhaps easier to sell etc.

 

If you have Full dealer SH then even after the warranty has expired, you may find a costly job is done much cheaper (i.e. Goodwill) at a dealer if you have had all the servicing done by BMW but ultimately their labour rate is likely much more than an indy so its hard to say if you would be better off financially.

 

Buying a second hand car is a risk in call cases, cars often need money spending on them as they age and bang on the miles, irrespective of whether they have been serviced regularly. An oil change is an oil change, it matters none where its done, only that its done regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Indy is about 20% cheaper. Think they’re able to achieve this by not having expensive coffee machines, or receptionists in short skirts.

 

The main advantage is I don’t have to book it in 14 weeks in advance, and I’m guaranteed a courtesy car in Martini livery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did DIY servicing in my E60 and wrote the number of the BMW parts invoice in the service book as a cross reference.

 

When I traded it in, the guy reduced its value by £40. The square root of £&@k all basically. 

 

I saved ten times that easily doing it myself plus I enjoyed doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, Someone said:

I have noticed Independent Specialists prices are not that different to dealers, so wonder why ppl go to Indys... [..] so wonder why ppl go to the Indy

I can't reply regarding UK and other parts of Western Europe, but here in Eastern Europe where I live, it's a common knowledge that self-taught indepandant service mechanics have MUCH better knowledge and better diagnostic skills than many official dealers.

 

So what happens is that when you bring your car to dealer with some small issue here, they will most liklely not bother to check and will simply replace more than one potentially faulty part, and charge you a lot more, simply due to the fact that they are lazy, they don't want to deal with potential issues, and it's simply easier for them to replace anything that seems suspicious, instead of spending more time for detailed diagnostics. Independant mechanics are paying much more attention to anecdotical experience, knows best sources of alternative spare parts, have good sources of lightly-used replacement parts (from car disposal plants, etc.), and so on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I did DIY servicing in my E60 and wrote the number of the BMW parts invoice in the service book as a cross reference.

 

When I traded it in, the guy reduced its value by £40. The square root of £&@k all basically. 

 

I saved ten times that easily doing it myself plus I enjoyed doing it. 

Jan makes a good point, unless its a newish car, its folly to pay dealer prices.

 

I have serviced my own cars for ten years and update the book as Andrew says.  By the time I am finished with my cars they tend to be worth peanuts.

 

Don't get me wrong that if you have the money or cant be bothered go with what's convenient.  I would argue that some big dealers have a bigger turnover of staff, so your more likely to have a bad experience at some point.  BMW stealers also came quite low down on a recent Auto Express customer poll. So if you find a good Indy, I would take that option.

Edited by Jimbo07g41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to bear in mind is that few small Indy’s have the resources of a dealer if something goes wrong. If for instance they accidentally cause an engine or gearbox failure or any expensive error. So I wouldn’t use a one-man-band for instance for something with the potential for big costs.

 

i can’t do anything very much myself nowadays sadly and I’m prepared to pay the insurance costs of a dealer (small things aside) probably until the car’s around 8 years old or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take both of mine to a main dealer for servicing, one of which is 13 years old. Take them there for the mot too. Two reasons, one is because I have extended warranty on them so any problems will normally be repaired under those and secondly is convenience. The nearest specialist to me is considerably further and a ball ache to get to. If it was easier I'd probably go with a specialist as I think you generally get a better service.

 

 BMW also do cheaper servicing for older cars, and over the years their prices haven't been too bad, although I have noticed recently the prices for my older car have shot up to the point it will be worth my while to take the extra time and hassle to go elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Boba said:

Something to bear in mind is that few small Indy’s have the resources of a dealer if something goes wrong. If for instance they accidentally cause an engine or gearbox failure or any expensive error. So I wouldn’t use a one-man-band for instance for something with the potential for big costs.

 

i can’t do anything very much myself nowadays sadly and I’m prepared to pay the insurance costs of a dealer (small things aside) probably until the car’s around 8 years old or so.

 

Your first sentence is interesting. My mate runs an independent garage and a fair chunk of his work is name brand dealers (BMW and Jaguar mainly) sending him jobs that they can't solve. Customer rarely finds out. Examples include almost anything the computer can't diagnose like fiddly electrical jobs, tracking down faults, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sjj84 said:

I take both of mine to a main dealer for servicing, one of which is 13 years old. Take them there for the mot too. Two reasons, one is because I have extended warranty on them so any problems will normally be repaired under those and secondly is convenience. The nearest specialist to me is considerably further and a ball ache to get to. If it was easier I'd probably go with a specialist as I think you generally get a better service.

 

 BMW also do cheaper servicing for older cars, and over the years their prices haven't been too bad, although I have noticed recently the prices for my older car have shot up to the point it will be worth my while to take the extra time and hassle to go elsewhere.

 

You pay for dealer warranty on a 13 year old car?

 

Surely that doesn't balance out financially?

 

I just had a check on the 2010 5 series we have on the BMW warranty site, they wanted £1950 per year for the Comprehensive one and £1117 for the cheapest one. Almost fell off my chair! I would be better off sticking the £2000 a year towards the PCP/Lease on a brand new one that comes with warranty :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's £50 a month fully comprehensive with no excess, and no I haven't had value for money from it, but it's basically an insurance policy. One issue a year would virtually pay for it, I've been lucky that my car hasn't had many issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bmwmike said:

 

Your first sentence is interesting. My mate runs an independent garage and a fair chunk of his work is name brand dealers (BMW and Jaguar mainly) sending him jobs that they can't solve. Customer rarely finds out. Examples include almost anything the computer can't diagnose like fiddly electrical jobs, tracking down faults, etc.

 

Makes sense for them to use specialist knowledge if they’re stuck of course, but so far as the customer’s concerned it’s the dealer carrying any risks, not the Indy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boba said:

Makes sense for them to use specialist knowledge if they’re stuck of course, but so far as the customer’s concerned it’s the dealer carrying any risks, not the Indy.

 

True - good point :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×