PeeTee

E39 M5 - steering vibration on braking

Howdy M5 owners,

Anyone ever had vibration on braking in their E39 M5. Mainly when the brakes are warm or braking from 60mph+ 

If so did you find a solution. Control arms, front disks replaced by Noel Butler

Thanks

Could be a sticking caliper, even just dirty guide pins and pad ends can make them drag enough to start building an uneven pad deposition on the disc surface. I had the same issue. I replaced the arms and it masked it a little. The disc run-out measured fine too, so I cleaned the brake sliding surfaces and the issue soon cleared.

This has just happened to me and it was a binding NSF brake caliper causing it!  I have been told that there is a rebuild kit but due to a bleed nipple having sheared off this may not be possible.  Unfortunately BMW UK are not able to supply new ones anymore either.  I am just waiting to see if the bleed nipple can be remove, otherwise I think I may have to go down the big brake kit route.  I am not mechanically minded at all and am not familiar with the calipers but trust my garage.

3 hours ago, No Wookies Here said:

This has just happened to me and it was a binding NSF brake caliper causing it!  I have been told that there is a rebuild kit but due to a bleed nipple having sheared off this may not be possible.  Unfortunately BMW UK are not able to supply new ones anymore either.  I am just waiting to see if the bleed nipple can be remove, otherwise I think I may have to go down the big brake kit route.  I am not mechanically minded at all and am not familiar with the calipers but trust my garage.

Nipple Therapy is what you need.

No, really. It's a proper repair procedure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Q_5F1o_wY

Here's his website: http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

I've got the same issue on mine when braking heavy once the car is warm it feels like the frontend is about to fall off. Someone else suggested sticky caliper will look into the rebuild kit. Nice one

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bushes have generally been the issue with braking vibrations in my experience.... 

Never had a problem with the discs causing any problem and the only time I've had sticking calipers (twice in the last year) the car was basically undriveable...

First time it felt like the wheels were square it was so bad and was just as bad on acceleration as on braking and it was co-incidental that I was on my way to my garage for them to service the car so just added that to the list of things to do.

The 2nd time the vibration appeared, it was after I'd been away for almost 4 weeks on holiday, and within 60 seconds of the first vibration I was looking for somewhere to park up and call the AA. Again it didn't just appear under braking. The AA guy stripped the caliper down cleaned it all put it back together and all was good... Easy check is to see if there is any heat coming out from the wheels... it can be significant.. even after waiting for an hour for the AA to turn up he said the disc was still hot enough to cook his breakfast on...

With the the bushes I found the vibrations tended to initially appear when braking at around 55-65 mph and as they deteriorate the range gets wider until it's across virtually all braking speeds. Also it seems worse in hotter weather or after the car has warmed up... I presume it's due to the compound flexing a little more with heat. 

So caliper's arent available from BMW anymore!  Darren Wood rebuilt my caliper and put new discs and pads on.  Those are symptoms to mine Seesure, felt like the wheels weren't balanced whilst on the motorway doing about 70 and braking was horrendous.  All fixed now though.

I had a lot of issues with vibrations while braking in my E39 M5, I went through several sets of disks all of which were perfect to start with but quickly returned to vibrations when applying the brakes at any significant speed.

Checked the calipers for sticking and they were fine.

After some experimentation I came to the conclusion that it was pad deposits on the disk.  Basically NEVER sit with your foot on the brakes, always use the hand brake, preferably nothing and try to keep rolling very very slowly if possible with just short applications of the brakes to slow you down or keep you going slowly if downhill.  Since doing this I haven't had the issue again.

On 10/10/2019 at 08:19, Hakon said:

As per RichardP,  three sets of discs and the problem came back within 500miles each time, with OE pads and non OE pads.

BMW 1 series 6 piston set up installed and I never had issue again.

The 1 series brake setup sounds interesting! - was it a straightforward conversion?

Take it for a good run, have a stop when the vibrating starts, and feel the road wheel, both sides, if they are hot then it's pointing towards a sized, or partially sized caliper. If the road wheels are ok then its pointing towards suspension problems rather than brakes.

Mine did this, the o/s road wheel felt red hot, replaced o/s caliper solved the problem.

On 18/09/2019 at 08:16, jag530isport said:

I've got the same issue on mine when braking heavy once the car is warm it feels like the frontend is about to fall off. Someone else suggested sticky caliper will look into the rebuild kit. Nice one

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi Jag,

Got a set of rebuilt calipers if you are interested. Were fully refurbished by BigRedd including new seals & pistons, ready to bolt on, will just need carriers.

Had them on here last year as shown 

Cheers,

Dean

On 19/01/2020 at 13:00, AlexGSi2000 said:

The 1 series brake setup sounds interesting! - was it a straightforward conversion?

Two things required.   Brackets to fit to the caliper to the M5 hub carrier and to drill out the lugs that exist on the M5 bearing.

Check the thread here or on the M5 board, much info

Right guys. Problem has been fixed. I am going to be honest and say I fell out of love with the M5 as the wheel wobble was killing the driving experience for me.

Turns out it was a sticky caliper on the front causing the disks to warp. Both front calipers were sent off for a refurb and my disks were machined. This fixed it. Thanks to Noel at NCB Autokraft for spending his time to investigate and fix the problem. Happy days