sjj84

Engine oil, brakes and idrive inaccuracy

Had my car in for egr recall today and they tell me that the oil level is at the minimum, idrive however tells me that it is near the maximum. Is the idrive level known for being inaccurate? I've checked via the dipstick and that pretty much matches the idrive reading, are you meant to take the measurement with a warm or cold engine?

Also with regard to idrive inaccuracies, they tell me both front and rear pads need replacing, 4mm at the front and 3mm at the rear, however idrive is telling me there is 60k miles left on the front and 50k miles on the rear. Only slightly out! Do they also have the pad sensors to bring a light on when they get low or has this been done away with.

I had this once on the idrive with oil. The idrive told me I was low so added a litre. 

After driving I checked the oil on the dipstick and found it was high. Bmw dealer checked it out, said my oil was too high and drained some oil. I would rely on the dipstick on level ground...

On brake pads, a dealer will always look at worst case scenario (potentially time to your next service) and if not enough predicted life by then will suggest replacement...(...some look for opportunity....

I get the 3000m 'till brake replacement, etc. Because I swap wheels over for winter/summer and other maintenance I get to check the actual brake pad thickness (inside pads are the tell as they wear faster) and disc condition. I replace them when they need replacing rather than a computer warning.

If you don't/can't do this then you will have to rely on warnings/garage advice.

You need to ask the dealer whether the 3 and 4mm thicknesses are to the metal backplate or until the sensor/minimum groove. Pads can function perfectly until 2-3 mm to the backplate before replacement, unless there is other damage.

Edited by bee
idrive...

Haven’t got to the brake warnings yet, but I constantly had low oil warnings even though it had just been serviced, problem was a knackered oil level sensor, I replaced the oil and filter again though , not keen on using the drained oil again 

3 hours ago, sjj84 said:

are you meant to take the measurement with a warm or cold engine?

Check when warm but let it stand for 10 mins or so first. As mentioned above level ground is also vital. It doesn't take much of a slope to make quite a difference on the stick.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
Added info

5 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Check when warm but let it stand for 10 mins or so first. As mentioned above level ground is also vital. It doesn't take much of a slope to make quite a difference on the stick.

That is the way I've always done it, glad you have confirmed my method. My drive has a very slight slope, I'll try again in the garage.

14 hours ago, bee said:

I had this once on the idrive with oil. The idrive told me I was low so added a litre. 

After driving I checked the oil on the dipstick and found it was high. Bmw dealer checked it out, said my oil was too high and drained some oil. I would rely on the dipstick on level ground...

On brake pads, a dealer will always look at worst case scenario (potentially time to your next service) and if not enough predicted life by then will suggest replacement...(...some look for opportunity....

I get the 3000m 'till brake replacement, etc. Because I swap wheels over for winter/summer and other maintenance I get to check the actual brake pad thickness (inside pads are the tell as they wear faster) and disc condition. I replace them when they need replacing rather than a computer warning.

If you don't/can't do this then you will have to rely on warnings/garage advice.

You need to ask the dealer whether the 3 and 4mm thicknesses are to the metal backplate or until the sensor/minimum groove. Pads can function perfectly until 2-3 mm to the backplate before replacement, unless there is other damage.

This worries me more now as my version 64 plate does not even come with a dipstick..... not that I know of anyway!!!

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Depends on the engine. Some with dipstick (and not the driver) some don’t. 

Looked everywhere and I’m pretty sure mine is a model without one.

17 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Had my car in for egr recall today and they tell me that the oil level is at the minimum, idrive however tells me that it is near the maximum. Is the idrive level known for being inaccurate? 

This is a common way of the dealer to push your bill up by the ridiculous £20 per litre they charge for the oil.

They tell you it needs a top up when I doesn’t, you aren’t sure so maybe you say ok then top it up.

They take a little from the litre can and leave the rest in your boot.

i had the same with Audi and bmw. I didn’t have it topped up but checked when the car was home. Both times the level was fine. Both times they apologised at the trainees mistake.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Depends on the engine. Some with dipstick (and not the driver) some don’t. 

Lol! ;) 

N55 doesn’t have one. Very wrong in my book. 

My wife’s 2003 C Class didn’t have one but you could access a hidden menu that gave a volume of oil in the sump and not just segments on a graphic. Far more accurate.