wobblybox

Winter tyre options... Can I go to 275 45 18??

Hello all, I have just become a 520d F11 M sport owner, 2013 with 79k. So far so good! However I have the fear about the imminent winter as I live at the bottom of a hill. I have continentals rft's fitted and they seem pretty good (and expensive) staggered wheels with 275 40 18 rears and 245 45 18 fronts. Pricing winter tyres I have discovered that a 275 45 18 is a much cheaper option for the same tyre! Can I go to a 45 rear with a 45 front or what's the best option? 

Screenshot_20190826-082247.jpg

Screenshot_20190826-082247.jpg

Screenshot_20190826-082220.jpg

Edited by wobblybox
Adding pics

Don't alter the width to side wall heights from standard set ups as that will upset all the systems that rely on the rotational speeds of the wheels.  A 275/45 will give a bigger rolling radii.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=275&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=9&offset=30&width2=275&aspect2=45&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=30

Winter tyres should be

225/55/17 on 8" rim

245/45/18 on 8" rim

275/40/18 on 9" rim

You might be lucky and pick another set of non staggered rims cheaply if you hunt long enough for them. That would be the best option IMO. I have two sets of wheels and swap them about in Nov/April.

Yeah that's quite a significant difference, thanks for the link! Am I right in thinking that I can drop the staggered set up and go to a 245 45 18 on the rear (same as front) I just can't justify spending £400 plus just for the rears (I haven't priced fronts yet) I'll be running all four on winter tyres. 

31 minutes ago, wobblybox said:

Yeah that's quite a significant difference, thanks for the link! Am I right in thinking that I can drop the staggered set up and go to a 245 45 18 on the rear (same as front) I just can't justify spending £400 plus just for the rears (I haven't priced fronts yet) I'll be running all four on winter tyres. 

Yes; you can go for an all straight/square set up with no issues; as long as the tyres are the same size, it's fine :)

Also check Camskill for their tyre prices too :) 

29 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes; you can go for an all straight/square set up with no issues; as long as the tyres are the same size, it's fine :)

Also check Camskill for their tyre prices too :) 

OK good job, thanks for the reply! Yes I'll certainly have a look at them :)

21 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

Get rid of those run flats. That's the first thing you do.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

They are more or less brand new and I don't see/feel/hear anything wrong with them. In fact they've been great in wet/dry driving conditions and I've been giving them some stick to find the limit. I like the stiff ride a lot more than wallowing round bends. 

1 hour ago, wobblybox said:

Am I right in thinking that I can drop the staggered set up and go to a 245 45 18 on the rear (same as front)

Yes. I run a square winter set up 245/45/18.  No issues.  Check plenty of other tyre websites too for best prices but don't forget to ask your local friendly indy tyre fitter, they might surprise you too.

Also try Amazon for tyres.

1 hour ago, wobblybox said:

Am I right in thinking that I can drop the staggered set up and go to a 245 45 18 on the rear (same as front)  I'll be running all four on winter tyres. 

No problem running 245s all round, it’s what I do for winter on my G31. Apart from price there’s the advantage that you can swap them around the corners more effectively. My summers are 19” staggered but winter tyre prices for those are silly so I run 18” straights.

25 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes. I run a square winter set up 245/45/18.  No issues.  Check plenty of other tyre websites too for best prices but don't forget to ask your local friendly indy tyre fitter, they might surprise you too.

Also try Amazon for tyres.

That's brilliant, thanks for the reply! I'll get onto it now. Cheers! 

36 minutes ago, Boba said:

No problem running 245s all round, it’s what I do for winter on my G31. Apart from price there’s the advantage that you can swap them around the corners more effectively. My summers are 19” staggered but winter tyre prices for those are silly so I run 18” straights.

I couldn't believe the cost difference between 275 40 18 and 275 45 18, mental! Running straights seems to be the best option

5 hours ago, wobblybox said:

That's brilliant, thanks for the reply! I'll get onto it now. Cheers! 

Remember - to run the square tyre setup - you need a square set of wheels too so 8j all around as per @535i Andrews post above, not just a case of changing the tyres to a square set up on a staggered set of rims. 

Others such as @Boba has a second set of wheels and tyres being his winter set. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Remember - to run the square tyre setup - you need a square set of wheels too so 8j all around as per @535i Andrews post above, not just a case of changing the tyres to a square set up on a staggered set of rims. 

Others such as @Boba has a second set of wheels and tyres being his winter set. 

Would that even work? Surely it would look like a vw Bora spide set up with euro stretched tyres? 

8 hours ago, wobblybox said:

Would that even work? Surely it would look like a vw Bora spide set up with euro stretched tyres? 

That's my point. If you have 8j wheels on the front and 9j on the rear and you want to run 245/45r18 tyres all round you will need to also have 8j wheels all round.

Not really a 245 tyre on a 9" rim would be stretched a bit much and may adversely affect the handling.

Its sadly not heard of for folk to put a narrower tyre on a wide rim to go for "the look", or to clear their arches. :rolleyes:

Yes I think I'm sorted I can get a set of staggered M sport wheels (need tyres) for £120! A set of 4! Same wheels as mine. So plan is keep the 8" fronts and sell the wider rears on fleabay. That's some bargain 

7 hours ago, wobblybox said:

Yes I think I'm sorted I can get a set of staggered M sport wheels (need tyres) for £120! A set of 4! Same wheels as mine. So plan is keep the 8" fronts and sell the wider rears on fleabay. That's some bargain 

That sounds very (too) cheap? I'd be looking for evidence that they've been professionally refurbished or are in original condition so you can inspect for any cracks or buckles.

You'd also need to be sure they were genuine BMW wheels and not some of the inferior copies I understand can be found for sale on certain online market places.

2 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Didn't think the f11 came with the staggered setup?

You are right it doesn't!   Unless its been modified by previous owners. Didn't spot that.

@wobblybox, I would double check that you have a square set of rims. Its not out of the realms of possibility that someone has put a 275 wide tyre on an 8" rim.