Rich684

Buying exlease 530e?

Hi, I was wondering about buying my 530e from the leasing company in the next couple of months. It is a may 18 reg, with 42k, totally reliable, valued around 22k I think at the moment, whats people's thoughts or should I think about a second hand 520d? Guess I'm a bit concerned about the durability of the tech, nothing to suggest a problem at the moment though. Are older high mileage 330e reliable?   Thanks

I considered the 530e but put off running one out of warranty, also so many of them on sale on BMW AUC site, not sure who is going to buy all that stock. 

However, the price you have been offered at does seem good if it’s an msport. I would say that’s probably below auction price. I don’t think you’ll get a 520d much cheaper, I’m no mechanic but arguably the diesel is still a complex car, I heard the hybrid part for the 530e was developed with Toyota, that is good, very good. I have a Lexus IS300h, can’t fault it for reliability. I think I might be talking myself into one again!!...it would have to be cheap though.

2 hours ago, KLR said:

I considered the 530e but put off running one out of warranty, also so many of them on sale on BMW AUC site, not sure who is going to buy all that stock. 

However, the price you have been offered at does seem good if it’s an msport. I would say that’s probably below auction price. I don’t think you’ll get a 520d much cheaper, I’m no mechanic but arguably the diesel is still a complex car, I heard the hybrid part for the 530e was developed with Toyota, that is good, very good. I have a Lexus IS300h, can’t fault it for reliability. I think I might be talking myself into one again!!...it would have to be cheap though.

Correct, the hybrid system is out of a Prius, the 2004 model that is, hence such poor eco aspect from the car

9 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Correct, the hybrid system is out of a Prius, the 2004 model that is, hence such poor eco aspect from the car

Sorry, but what evidence do you have that the hybrid system is out of a 2004 Prius? More to the point, a 2004 Prius (or any Prius for that matter) doesn’t run PHEV tech, so you’re completely wrong. 

Agree about running a car of that value out of warranty though - would cost a fortune if anything major went wrong. 

16 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

Sorry, but what evidence do you have that the hybrid system is out of a 2004 Prius? More to the point, a 2004 Prius (or any Prius for that matter) doesn’t run PHEV tech, so you’re completely wrong. 

Agree about running a car of that value out of warranty though - would cost a fortune if anything major went wrong. 

The partnership was announced in 2012. Toyota would supply their Systems to BMW, do not 2004 but 2009 onwards. Still tech that’s a decade old now.

The plug in hybrid element of the hybrid, isn’t a ground breaking revelation. It’s simply a method of charging the battery other than through break regeneration. 

Do you remember the ActiveHybrid BMWs, they were not PHEV, this was added in development by BMW to 2,3,5 and 7 series.

Also, there has had been a plug in Hybrid Prius since 2012 you numpty. Read up on things a little before responding. 

The fact is BMW runs ancient tech by today’s standards in the 530e. The G20 is miles more advanced and Toyotas current system trumps even that. 

Just because you own one doesn’t mean it’s the best thing since sliced bread, that does not mean it’s a bad car either - it’s actually very nice. But it’s not a Hybrid for Economy sake or environmental friendliness, it’s a BIK machine and you know it. 

4 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

The partnership was announced in 2012. Toyota would supply their Systems to BMW, do not 2004 but 2009 onwards. Still tech that’s a decade old now.

The plug in hybrid element of the hybrid, isn’t a ground breaking revelation. It’s simply a method of charging the battery other than through break regeneration. 

Do you remember the ActiveHybrid BMWs, they were not PHEV, this was added in development by BMW to 2,3,5 and 7 series.

Also, there has had been a plug in Hybrid Prius since 2012 you numpty. Read up on things a little before responding. 

The fact is BMW runs ancient tech by today’s standards in the 530e. The G20 is miles more advanced and Toyotas current system trumps even that. 

Just because you own one doesn’t mean it’s the best thing since sliced bread, that does not mean it’s a bad car either - it’s actually very nice. But it’s not a Hybrid for Economy sake or environmental friendliness, it’s a BIK machine and you know it. 

Yeah I knew all about that - essentially Hybrid tech in exchange for Diesel engines. 

My apologies about the Prius comment, I actually hadn’t realised they ever did a PHEV version, mostly because of the fact I’d not be seen dead in one.

Agree they’re BIK machines, or if you’re absolutely determined you want to be a city centre “no emissions” activist. I’ll stick with my Diesel. 

An X5 PHEV pulled up next to me at the traffic lights at the M69 entry sometime back. Think its the previous model

530d vs X5 PHeV.   It was pretty quick off the starting point , but when things were getting interesting, it abruptly fell back. It ran out battery juice I guess, or the battery overheated

thats what I dislike about Hybrids . The 530e spec is 252 BHP , but that is combined - a 520i petrol plus electric. So not only is the claimed MPG misleading so is the acceleration . .0 -62 in 6.1 seconds ? Really.  Shouldn't they say thats the best case

BIK machines !

18 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

An X5 PHEV pulled up next to me at the traffic lights at the M69 entry sometime back. Think its the previous model

530d vs X5 PHeV.   It was pretty quick off the starting point , but when things were getting interesting, it abruptly fell back. It ran out battery juice I guess, or the battery overheated

thats what I dislike about Hybrids . The 530e spec is 252 BHP , but that is combined - a 520i petrol plus electric. So not only is the claimed MPG misleading so is the acceleration . .0 -62 in 6.1 seconds ? Really.  Shouldn't they say thats the best case

BIK machines !

I admit fully I drive mine as a BIK machine, no doubt about it. However, it routinely does 0-62 in 6 ish seconds and *feels* quicker than my 420d ever did when doing so (7.1s to 62 that was iirc) It'll only do that when it has some charge in the battery though. If there is ~0 miles range then it'll not do it anywhere near 6 seconds and feels noticeably slower.

I would absolutely take a 530d in a heartbeat were the cost not 4x higher!

I'm considering a hybrid/fully electric for the missus though, she commutes 2 miles to work and back so it'd be lower cost doing that via electric than petrol and less wear and tear on the engine too. I do ~25k a year though so were the company not paying for the car, I wouldn't entertain the hybrid.

20 minutes ago, CFD said:

I admit fully I drive mine as a BIK machine, no doubt about it. However, it routinely does 0-62 in 6 ish seconds and *feels* quicker than my 420d ever did when doing so (7.1s to 62 that was iirc) It'll only do that when it has some charge in the battery though. If there is ~0 miles range then it'll not do it anywhere near 6 seconds and feels noticeably slower.

I would absolutely take a 530d in a heartbeat were the cost not 4x higher!

I'm considering a hybrid/fully electric for the missus though, she commutes 2 miles to work and back so it'd be lower cost doing that via electric than petrol and less wear and tear on the engine too. I do ~25k a year though so were the company not paying for the car, I wouldn't entertain the hybrid.

the hybrid is definitely quick off the starting point, with instant electric power, even if its only 82 BHP. 

One of the issues with the 530d is turbo lag, especially starting off . It takes a bit of practice. In a way its as unpredictable as a hybrid