Eddles

2010 F11 - Looking for CANH & CANL wires behind glovebox

Hi all, I brought a SLI activator and it needs to be connected to the CANH & CANL wires, but I'm not sure which wires that's behind the glovebox that's best to use for the activator please?  I'm referring to page 3 of this manual.  Many thanks!

6 hours ago, apples12 said:

You can pickup can hi/lo from behind the instrument cluster along with +12v/-ve, that's where I fitted mine

Thanks for your reply!  I've got the glovebox out anyway, is it as easy to take out the instrument cluster?

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

NewTIS wiring diagrams for that.

The canbus I've connected into are a pair of twisted wires orange/green and green in colour.

Thanks for this - sorry to be a pain but where should I start to look in the wiring diagram please, as there's a massive amount of different ECUs and wiring behind the glovebox.  Also the TIS make reference to the K-CAN, K-CAN2, PT-CAN and PT-CAN2 buses - which one corresponds to the CANH & CANL?  Thank you!

Edited by Eddles

9 minutes ago, Eddles said:

Thanks for your reply!  I've got the glovebox out anyway, is it as easy to take out the instrument cluster?

Thanks for this - sorry to be a pain but where should I start to look in the wiring diagram please, as there's a massive amount of different ECUs and wiring behind the glovebox.  Also the TIS make reference to the K-CAN, K-CAN2, PT-CAN and PT-CAN2 buses - which one corresponds to the CANH & CANL?  Thank you!

Incredibly easy to take out the instrument cluster, all you need are two skinny screwdrivers

They go into the second from last slots on each side, you'll feel the stiff metal springs then pull toward you and the clocks will fall forwards, 

Much much easier to tap the canbus and power behind the clocks than glovebox

1 minute ago, apples12 said:

Incredibly easy to take out the instrument cluster, all you need are two skinny screwdrivers

They go into the second from last slots on each side, you'll feel the stiff metal springs then pull toward you and the clocks will fall forwards, 

Much much easier to tap the canbus and power behind the clocks than glovebox

That looks incredibly complicated!  Hah, that looks easy enough, thank you for advice!

That's interesting, I was about to dispute that, then I downloaded the NBT guide, and you're right, it recommends connecting the CAN cables from the heater controls, but in the CIC guide, they recommend connecting to the CAN cables at the back of the head unit!  Curious.

381697325_Screenshotfrom2019-08-2512-05-42.thumb.png.2cbb1ab60c40b0135927e5bf131996e8.png