Jump to content
Matthew Ashton

G32 First Service

Recommended Posts

Car at 2 years old (8100miles) based on build date so calling for its first service. Just oil and microfilters needed. 

 

Called around after looking at BMW’s service website which has quoted £424 I think. Coopers in Tunbridge Wells was the same price, no budging and couldn’t get me a Saturday Fast Lane service until September. So had to go to Stephen James Bromley which is really convenient for work. Lady on the phone says they can’t quote until they’ve read the key as it will tell them how much oil to add! WHAT I ask, and she’s adamant. Bollocks!

Anyway, take the car in and ask for a quote. I’ll get a phone call later they say. So at 16:00 the dealer calls and says £433. I say no way as was told between £285 (no microfilters) and £400. He says, he’ll get it as close to £400 as he can. I pick the car up at 18:00 to a bill of £370. While it is still rape, not quite as bad a blow.

But get this - the invoice lists one of the chargeable items as environmental disposal of the oil at £18!  That’s a new one for me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Why would you not go for a service pack at £399?

 

BMW in Leicester wouldn’t include it at point of purchase. Plus, it doesn’t cover the first brake fluid change at 3 years and as I paid £370 it was right for me not to buy the pack as the only service I would get from it has cost me less. If it was the old 5 year plan I’d agree as you’ll get 2 services from it with my mileage but the 3 year plan isn’t worth it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious. A service pack has never been mentioned, in any of my discussions.

I'm picking up the new car tomorrow so will ask as plan to likely keep it pretty much the full 4 years. Looking on the BMW website, I see "Value Servicing" and Fast Lane" but no prices. I assume the former is what is being referred to as service pack...? The dealers website is down currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Why would you not go for a service pack at £399?

Exactly what I did you can add it up to the first service I only managed to get 2 services due to the miles I do but still better off than having to pay for them it seems a no brained 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, G Whizz said:

Curious. A service pack has never been mentioned, in any of my discussions.

I'm picking up the new car tomorrow so will ask as plan to likely keep it pretty much the full 4 years. Looking on the BMW website, I see "Value Servicing" and Fast Lane" but no prices. I assume the former is what is being referred to as service pack...? The dealers website is down currently.

 

Value Service is once the car is over 3 years old and BMW tempt you with slightly lower service costs to stay in the network. Fast lane is where you book a service while you wait. Service Inclusive is the service pack. Now £399 for 3 years but depending on mileage done it may not be beneficial - as in my case. I only do around 5000 miles per year so will only get one service out of it and it doesn’t cover the brake fluid change at 3 years. I’ve basically saved £29 against the cost of a pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks. I think it'd make sense for me. Just struggling to find anything about it on any dealers pages, let alone a price.

Found it on the price list. Bugger - something I could have negotiated on!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, G Whizz said:

Many thanks. I think it'd make sense for me. Just struggling to find anything about it on any dealers pages, let alone a price.

Found it on the price list. Bugger - something I could have negotiated on!

 

 

 

Not really as it can be an free thought and always purchased prior,to first service by I guess it never hurts to ask 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 14:52, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Value Service is once the car is over 3 years old and BMW tempt you with slightly lower service costs to stay in the network. Fast lane is where you book a service while you wait. Service Inclusive is the service pack. Now £399 for 3 years but depending on mileage done it may not be beneficial - as in my case. I only do around 5000 miles per year so will only get one service out of it and it doesn’t cover the brake fluid change at 3 years. I’ve basically saved £29 against the cost of a pack. 

 

You can supply the parts (genuine) and ask for 'labour only' cost. It may work out cheaper if you got a good deal for your oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All 

 

I'm reading this with interest as I'm due to change my car soon and always take the service plan but If it's dropped from 5 to 3 year plans I don't think I will bother as I do below 5000 miles a year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steveo1 said:

Hi All 

 

I'm reading this with interest as I'm due to change my car soon and always take the service plan but If it's dropped from 5 to 3 year plans I don't think I will bother as I do below 5000 miles a year.  

 

HI Steve,

 

The service without negotiation started at £433 which means the service pack would have saved me £34 but after negotiation I was £29 better off. For me it was a good thing I didn't buy it. 3 year plan is only good for high mileage drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the new car yesterday - 8).

I asked about the service pack, and they said BMW is dropping it in it's current form, which is why it's not on the website anymore. I saw the email announcement briefly, but didn't get chance to read it properly, but it looks like it'll be removed from the next run of price lists as well. Instead, they're being told to "push" the pay monthly option. It'll be curious how many go for this - an X5 is £35 per month for three years is £1,260.

 

The salesman said "...and that's why we didn't mention it to you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

I picked up the new car yesterday - 8).

I asked about the service pack, and they said BMW is dropping it in it's current form, which is why it's not on the website anymore. I saw the email announcement briefly, but didn't get chance to read it properly, but it looks like it'll be removed from the next run of price lists as well. Instead, they're being told to "push" the pay monthly option. It'll be curious how many go for this - an X5 is £35 per month for three years is £1,260.

 

The salesman said "...and that's why we didn't mention it to you."

 

I saw that on the website. Crazy amount of money for servicing - oh and you get satnav map updates - yippee! Still doesn’t amount to £35 per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just seeing this @Matthew Ashton, wow!  That is crazy money.

 

Is it just me but I'm struggling to see how an oil and micro filter service is so much more for a G32 than an F10.  Using the logic that you have a 6 cylinder engine of similar displacement to me, therefore assuming the volume of oil is between 6 and 7 litres and that the micro filters aren't encrusted with diamonds, I'd like to know why the original quote is £170 more than BMW quote me for the same service on mine.

 

The oil disposal fee (new to me too) doesn't come close to the difference and I'm assuming your car uses the same LL04 as everything else and not unicorn urine?

 

Is it because yours is newer and they think thy can charge more for labour?  Or the fact its a lovely big 6 Series (saw my first G32 today, I likey) and its more to service than a 5 Series?

 

Is a G30/1 540i just as pricey for an oil and micro filter service?

 

Better start saving for the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I'm just seeing this @Matthew Ashton, wow!  That is crazy money.

 

Is it just me but I'm struggling to see how an oil and micro filter service is so much more for a G32 than an F10.  Using the logic that you have a 6 cylinder engine of similar displacement to me, therefore assuming the volume of oil is between 6 and 7 litres and that the micro filters aren't encrusted with diamonds, I'd like to know why the original quote is £170 more than BMW quote me for the same service on mine.

 

The oil disposal fee (new to me too) doesn't come close to the difference and I'm assuming your car uses the same LL04 as everything else and not unicorn urine?

 

Is it because yours is newer and they think thy can charge more for labour?  Or the fact its a lovely big 6 Series (saw my first G32 today, I likey) and its more to service than a 5 Series?

 

Is a G30/1 540i just as pricey for an oil and micro filter service?

 

Better start saving for the next one.

 

Yes, 540i and 640i are the same price for servicing at the moment. They are both still under 3 years old so don't yet qualify for the BMW "Value" Servicing option. It'll be interesting to see what the same service tallys up to once the car is over the 3 year old mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I'm just seeing this @Matthew Ashton, wow!  That is crazy money.

 

Is it just me but I'm struggling to see how an oil and micro filter service is so much more for a G32 than an F10.  Using the logic that you have a 6 cylinder engine of similar displacement to me, therefore assuming the volume of oil is between 6 and 7 litres and that the micro filters aren't encrusted with diamonds, I'd like to know why the original quote is £170 more than BMW quote me for the same service on mine.

 

The oil disposal fee (new to me too) doesn't come close to the difference and I'm assuming your car uses the same LL04 as everything else and not unicorn urine?

 

Is it because yours is newer and they think thy can charge more for labour?  Or the fact its a lovely big 6 Series (saw my first G32 today, I likey) and its more to service than a 5 Series?

 

Is a G30/1 540i just as pricey for an oil and micro filter service?

 

Better start saving for the next one.

 

They charge oil per litre, this is where they hammer you.  I've supplied my own parts and oil and paid just labour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jake13 said:

 

They charge oil per litre, this is where they hammer you.  I've supplied my own parts and oil and paid just labour.

 


£10/litre of oil so £65 +VAT = £78 for the oil in the BMW  service and the Shell I would use myself is £55 from Eurocarparts on special. BMW is only £23 more expensive so the oil isn't driving the cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

They are both still under 3 years old so don't yet qualify for the BMW "Value" Servicing option. 

 

Is that is the only reason? More expensive labour rates on the newer cars, which is nonsense as it's most likely the same techs working in yours as an older car.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

Is that is the only reason? More expensive labour rates on the newer cars, which is nonsense as it's most likely the same techs working in yours as an older car.

 

 

 

BMW introduce "value servicing" prices  post 3 years to try keep you in the network. Until 3 years and under warranty they have the monopoly unless you want to take your chances with an INDI using BMW parts for servicing. Sure it is the same technicians but just like airlines, out of season flights are cheaper but they are the same planes with the same crew - Just because they can! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2019 at 06:30, Matthew Ashton said:

 


£10/litre of oil so £65 +VAT = £78 for the oil in the BMW  service and the Shell I would use myself is £55 from Eurocarparts on special. BMW is only £23 more expensive so the oil isn't driving the cost. 

 

They charged me £67.50 inc for labour. I supplied the oil filter (£14) and oil (£30; 2x4l Castrol FST 5w-30).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Service pack is a rip off, I got it included as an extra to buy the car, 3year 36,000 mile service pack

problem is after 30 months I need a second service at 39,000 miles but hey it’s gone beyond 36,000 so it’s not covered -so much for careful driving 

2nd and third service including MOT and brake fluid is £900 

 

amazing how brake fluid needs to be changed now when it never was, and having worked in car production lines I’m certain dealers do not keep their brake fluid heated and under vacuum to degas and use a vacuum system to evacuate brakes and then fill with outgassed fluid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, huggy said:

Service pack is a rip off, I got it included as an extra to buy the car, 3year 36,000 mile service pack

problem is after 30 months I need a second service at 39,000 miles but hey it’s gone beyond 36,000 so it’s not covered -so much for careful driving 

2nd and third service including MOT and brake fluid is £900 

 

amazing how brake fluid needs to be changed now when it never was, and having worked in car production lines I’m certain dealers do not keep their brake fluid heated and under vacuum to degas and use a vacuum system to evacuate brakes and then fill with outgassed fluid 


At £900 (each I assume for 2nd and 3rd) you are being ripped off.  BMW’s online quote for my 640i for its 2nd service which will be at 4 years old for me, which includes spark plugs being a petrol is £690 plus the MOT at £54. Your diesel will be cheaper as there are no Spark plugs. 
 

Brake fluid has always been changed. Used to be every 2 years and more recently BMW specify 3 years for first change and then 2 years thereafter. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture which can degrade its effectiveness hence the 2 yearly change.  

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×