Matthew Ashton

G32 First Service

I bought the service pack just before my first service for £399. Have just had the second service carried out early, as it was due at 38k miles. I dropped the car off with 35985 miles on it! The service advisor tried to tell me the car didn't need a service yet and was going to turn me away but I told them I was due to drive to Spain and Portugal in a couple of weeks and the mileage would be 3k over by the time I got home. After asking if the warranty and breakdown cover would still apply if that far over mileage they accepted the car with no quibble. Service indicator when starting up now states service due in 19k, so the dealers sell the pack knowing it's unlikely you will get teo services out of it. 

Yes I get why they say brake fluid is changed, hence why it is heated and kept under vacuum at production line  but our first car was a beetle and we had that up to when it was 11 years old and over 100000 miles and no fluid change, nor with my company cars and I never had it replaced on any car before, I always refused it 

this is BMW online quote for service, major service minor service, brake fluid change, MOT and two additional map updates... 

Edited by huggy

4 hours ago, huggy said:

Yes I get why they say brake fluid is changed, hence why it is heated and kept under vacuum at production line  but our first car was a beetle and we had that up to when it was 11 years old and over 100000 miles and no fluid change, nor with my company cars and I never had it replaced on any car before, I always refused it 

^^^+1.  Never done it if 50-odd years, who’s ever heard of a road car running out of brakes from fluid ageing? Just a bit of BMW turd-polishing. Same with much of the ‘condition-based servicing’ without regard to actual condition.

Edited by Boba

15 minutes ago, Boba said:

^^^+1.  Never done it if 50-odd years, who’s ever heard of a road car running out of brakes from fluid ageing? Just a bit of BMW turd-polishing. Same with much of the ‘condition-based servicing’ without regard to actual condition.

This is industry wide and not just BMW. My first Opel Kadett back in the 80s had its brake fluid replaced as scheduled every 2 or 3 years and I’ve happily done it ever since. No moisture in the system so no corroded brake pipes and nice coloured brake fluid keeping me safe. Maybe not necessary but for peanuts in cost I’ll keep on doing it. 

I can understand that it's more important to change the  brake fluid regularly with modern systems that have abs valves and pumps. Don't want to damage these with fluid whose additives have worn out or become corrosive with mixed water. However,  I don't really understand why brake fluid gets more hygroscopic after 3 years, necessitating changes every 2 years after that though! Maybe it's a cynical plot to recoup some of the lost profit due to 'value' servicing prices after 3 years!

Ageing brake fluid has certainly not reduced my braking capacity.

it went in today to have a new fuel flap retainer fitted as it refused to stay closed, and I didn’t like the masking tape framed look, and apparently my rear brake pads are 80% worn - and as I tend mostly to use engine braking and casual driving I’m quite surprised, and it’s only now due it’s main service at 40,600 miles