Axolotl

Cooling loop behind grill?

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and I've had the pleasure of owning an e28 M535i for about 3 months now. I'm slowly building up and going through a list of bits that need doing. Most are straight forward but there's a pipe behind the grill that I can't find on any parts diagrams, forum posts, or mentions on google relating to it. I've attached a picture of it; it's rusted to bits and needs replacing but I'm not sure what it's purpose is or what part it is. The hoses lead off to the bottom of the engine/gearbox but admittedly haven't looked under the car since finding this.

My questions are: What is the part? And can I remove the loop completely and install a small pipe with a U bend?

Thanks.

IMG_20190817_141415.jpg

Pipe 1 annotated.png

IMG_20190817_141433.jpg

power steering cooling loop

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DC82-EUR-03-1985-E28-BMW-M535i&diagId=32_0263

(just a guess that its an early rhd auto)  best bet is to select your particular variant directly to confirm.

as its on the return side you could indeed just loop it for the time being if it is leaking.

diag_2wl.png

Edited by welshpug

Welcome along to the Forum.

I agree, power steering cooling loop as the picture shows the pipework routed under the engine to a RHD steering pump location.

The Automatic gearbox cooling pipework is routed on the outside of the left hand frame rail, through the left front wheel arch and into the oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator.

Hydro steering-oil pipes

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Pipe   1 04/1984   32411128838 $44.35    

Part number still looks to be available as it has a price against it as apposed to "Ended"

I used an "M535i Auto 1984 Euro RHD" for the RealOEM search criteria.

Regards,

Mick

Thanks for your help. I wouldn't have thought to look through the power steering diagrams. It is a RHD manual but the part is correct.

There are a few available through various websites but the price seems high considering what it is. I see another forum post had a quote from a dealer around £170+vat. Is there any harm in going with a small oil cooler instead? The heat dissipated from a hardline can't be that great?

Just incase anyone stumbles on this thread again, I swapped the loop out for a generic mishimoto transimission cooler and some new oil lines and have had no issues after a few 1000 miles of running.

Good to know you resolved the issue with your M535i.

Have you got any pictures of your M535?

We like pictures :wink:

Best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

As above it’s steering pump fluid cooler. It doesn’t matter if car is LHD or RHD the pump, cooler, fluid lines are the same for both versions at least for M30 powered cars.