Pedro79

Help please

Broken front ARB (anti roll bar) that pal; needs replacing ASAP

You can either go for a used one, or buy new. Ask BMW Cotswolds on this forum (towards the top in 'sponsors section') and see what price they quote you for a new one. May as well replace the ARB bushes and drop links too whilst it's all coming off :) 

Never seen that before; must have been very corroded in a particular area 

One here, for example, on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-15-BMW-5-SERIES-M-SPORT-3-0-DIESEL-STABILIZER-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-6791925-01/361535236752?epid=12008793933&hash=item542d2dea90:g:L88AAOSwhDdXEPkL

As above front anti roll bar.

But how did that happen? :shock:

Pothole, corrosion or was it jacked up or towed by the anti roll bar.

Roll bar comes complete with a set of bushes which weirdly aren't available separately.

Good advice above replacing drop links (links between the roll bar and suspension) too they aren't expensive.

If that has broken for whatever reason I would get the rest of the suspension checked out too.

Thanks lads. Strange really. Some spirited driving the other day, hit a very minor pothole and clunk! Going into the garage tomorrow so we will see how much they come back with! 

The labour to replace that shouldn't be much as it's quite accessible once the underbelly is off, it's only 4 bolts plus the links. Obviously much easier up on a ramp.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/31-front-axle-front-suspension/31-35-anti-roll-bar/1LK4quzy

If it was my car I might investigate an upgrade to the standard bar as I find mine a bit too rolly polly at times when being enthusiastic in the bends. 

1 hour ago, Pedro79 said:

Will do the drain clean out when I get a chance! 

Do the yellow grommet too at the same time!

It's a bit of a read but settle down with a couple of beers and you'll understand it. No more than a couple of beers as it will make your head spin......

That's quite a shock. I feel for you.

Is that BMW labour charges? Are they quoting for just the broken roll bar or other bits as well which could possibly be swapped from your broken bar? No idea if that's possible with your suspension, just thinking out loud. I imagine the parts would be the the majority of that quote but a trusted indy garage would charge a lot less to fit them.

Edited by Cadwell Parker

Hucking fell that's pricey. As above I imagine or rather hope the bulk of that is the bar price. 

Didn't think about it being a VDC roll bar as it's something I associate with being on F11s as they are the cars I've seen it specced on. Sorry.

Found this from putting in the part number into ebay for an active roll bar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-BMW-6-SERIES-F13-Alpina-2-Door-Coupe-Front-Active-Anti-Roll-Bar-37116778089-/362282274687

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=31_0828

Thanks guys. No thats a trusted indie. Majority of price is the part. Think I have sourced a used one for 300 quid plus delivery so will go for that if its the right one. Just waiting for the spares place to match the part numbers. Grrr.... 

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Didn't think about it being a VDC roll bar

Call me a pedant but I think Pedro is talking about dynamic drive. VDC is just adjustable shocks like I have on my car whereas dynamic drive gives you adjustable roll bars as well and takes things to a whole new level. I'm quite envious.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Hucking fell that's pricey. As above I imagine or rather hope the bulk of that is the bar price. 

Didn't think about it being a VDC roll bar as it's something I associate with being on F11s as they are the cars I've seen it specced on. Sorry.

Found this from putting in the part number into ebay for an active roll bar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-BMW-6-SERIES-F13-Alpina-2-Door-Coupe-Front-Active-Anti-Roll-Bar-37116778089-/362282274687

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=31_0828

Same; just guestimated it was a standard ARB... Hell fire! :shock:  

1 hour ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Call me a pedant but I think Pedro is talking about dynamic drive. VDC is just adjustable shocks like I have on my car whereas dynamic drive gives you adjustable roll bars as well and takes things to a whole new level. I'm quite envious.

You won't be envious at the moment! Can't source part anywhere second hand as all used ones are for LHD and the motor is on the wrong side. Having to pay the 2k. Not a happy chappy but needs must. 

3 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I thought you got the adjustable shocks and the active roll bar all within the same package?  My mistake.

You won't be envious at the moment! Can't source part anywhere second hand as all used ones are for LHD and the motor is on the wrong side. Having to pay the 2k. Not a happy chappy but needs must. 

My ebay link was for a UK part....or has it sold since I posted it.

Edited by 535i Andrew

That's bad for you. Sorry to hear that. I was wondering how easy used parts would be to find. I think adaptive drive (if that's what you have) is quite rare, being quite an expensive option to order when new so not many people appreciated the value of it when speccing new cars.

3 hours ago, Pedro79 said:

Can’t you claim against insurance? You hit a pothole so in effect had an accident. Even with an excess and a slight uplift due to reduced NCD you’ll probably be quids in. 

I thought you got the adjustable shocks and the active roll bar all within the same package?  My mistake.

My ebay link was for a UK part....or has it sold since I posted it.

Hi Andrew. It was a different part number sadly and the parts guys at two BMW places I spoke to said the part numbers needed to match. To be honest, as much as the cost makes me feel a bit sick, it's probably best to fit a new one anyway as I know the history of the part then. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Can’t you claim against insurance? You hit a pothole so in effect had an accident. Even with an excess and a slight uplift due to reduced NCD you’ll probably be quids in. 

Not sure Matthew to be honest but I need the car back ASAP and not happy driving it any real distance as it is. I have however put in a complaint with Durham County Council so we will see what happens. 

You are right parts need to be the right numbers. 

As an alternative to claiming from your insurance company, you could claim the relevant local authority who are responsible for the road or highway maintenance  for the cost of repair.

I made one of my E60 alloys into a square after a pothole and got back over 90% of my costs after I complained, photographed the offending pothole and filled out lots of forms and wrote letters to the local council. 

You are right parts need to be the right numbers. 

As an alternative to claiming from your insurance company, you could claim the relevant local authority who are responsible for the road or highway maintenance  for the cost of repair.

I made one of my E60 alloys into a square after a pothole and got back over 90% of my costs after I complained, photographed the offending pothole and filled out lots of forms and wrote letters to the local council. 

Yes. Exactly what I am intending to do with Durham County Council. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all help. 

17 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Depends on excess obviously and if ncb protected or not. Premium uplift would be the only unknown I suppose. I had a similar value claim against me this year, put my premium up by 20%.