Cadwell Parker

F11 tailgate corrosion

Just spotted this earlier, on the bottom edge of the tailgate where the rubber seal is so you can't see it unless you open the tailgate and look up. The paint is bubbling up in a few places. Surprised I've not seen it before actually. 

I'm taking the car to Lloyds bodyshop in Carlisle tomorrow for an inspection with a view to repair under warranty. I had a quick Google but can't see much else around on the subject so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. 

Will post up some photos in the morning.

Here's a few photos of what's going on...

20190821-112830.jpg

20190821-112844.jpg

20190821-112852.jpg

20190821-112907.jpg

It's getting inspected at Lloyds at 1.30 today so fingers crossed.

Is that rubbing from the bumper perhaps?  Looks like there is a line thru the peeled off paint in the second picture.

If the bumper isn't quite sitting right it may just wiggle around and contact the boot lid and damage the paint on the tailgate.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Is the tailgate steel or aluminium?

I'm not sure. Don't have a magnet to hand either.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Is that rubbing from the bumper perhaps?

No, the rust is on the part of the tailgate which meets up with the seal and is actually facing forwards when the tailgate is closed. It's nowhere near touching the bumper. The car got inspected yesterday so I'm just waiting to hear whether BMW are going to authorise the claim.

On 22/08/2019 at 18:38, Duncan Johnson said:

definately steel tailgate, according to my magnetic chevrons

Yep, and my magnetic GB plate.

This is the first I’ve heard of a tailgate rusting, especially at such a young age I wonder if it has been rubbed & resprayed at some point but not prepped correctly. I suppose the inspection will reveal...

2 hours ago, sjj84 said:

BMW repaired mine eventually

That's encouraging.  I'm still waiting to hear back from Lloyds after the inspection the other day. I guess the holiday weekend has delayed proceedings. They agreed the repair to my doors within 36 hours earlier in the year. I'll chase them up soon if I dont hear from them

My F10 is going in for the door corrosion (x3 with one very bad) in mid September. This is my second attempt at getting it done and the BMW dealer told me that BMW are inundated with F10 corrosion claims. Good luck OP and stand your ground.

I think I read that later F10 are six years corrosion warranty and not 12 like the earlier ones but don't know for sure, can anyone confirm?

I too have door corrosion, I only noticed it after picking the car up. To be honest it's the last thing I expected on a 6 year old BMW! I'm getting mine checked by BMW on Thursday so fingers crossed. 3 doors in all. I assume they'll paint the 4th door and possibly wings and rear quarter panel to match? 

IMG_20190822_112007.jpg

IMG_20190824_135016.jpg

5 hours ago, wobblybox said:

To be honest it's the last thing I expected on a 6 year old BMW

It's certainly not what you'd expect, quite disappointing really. This is the second time I've had to visit the bodyshop with corrosion issues since buying my 2014 plate car in February this year. Like you I didn't see any evidence of it before buying but maybe we just see what we expect to see until the unexpected becomes more obvious.

5 hours ago, wobblybox said:

I assume they'll paint the 4th door and possibly wings and rear quarter panel to match

They will probably just blend the new new paint at the edges of the adjoining panels as far as they need to make it look right. I'm not sure they'll be doing the whole door/ quarters unless they're part of the repair

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that 4th door going the same way before long. I had all four done on mine. Three were obvious, one was just starting to show if you looked very carefully.

Where on the car is the rust in your first picture?

On 26/08/2019 at 22:21, Cadwell Parker said:

That's encouraging.  I'm still waiting to hear back from Lloyds after the inspection the other day. I guess the holiday weekend has delayed proceedings. They agreed the repair to my doors within 36 hours earlier in the year. I'll chase them up soon if I dont hear from them

It took a year! Not sure how much of that was down to bmw uk or the local dealer.

Just a quick update on this for now...

After waiting 2 weeks for Lloyds to get back to me since having my car inspected I decided it was time to call them for a chat. I was told my repair has been authorised by BMW and they were getting round to letting me know but have been very busy and my job had yet to rise to the top of the pile (my paraphrasing). One assumes they're innundated with other corrosion related warranty work :lol:

They are booked solid up til next Wednesday so I've arranged drop my car off for repair on the 16th as Mondays are the most convenient day for me to see them. 

I said yes when asked if I'll need a courtesy car and politely suggested they give me one of their Minis this time as previously I had a Honda Jazz and this time fancy a change. They didn't promise but said they'd try to arrange it. I doubt it'll be a Cooper S or anything so interesting but it'll be fun to try something different for three days.

A bit disappointing they took so long to not get back to me but at least it's getting sorted quicker than some.

Mine goes in Monday for 3 doors to be done. Same story, took an age to respond and when I emailed they said "we were just about to call you..!". BMW are inundated with F10 warranty claims for corrosion apparently.

I'm getting a mini too.

I'm quite fancying a change of car soon so it'll be good to try something else.  My problem is the 530i is so good at most things and I owe nothing on it, can't think what to replace it with. 

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

G30 540i xDrive, what else? 

Simples.

Is that what you'll get next?

Nice cars but for the mileage I do and the fact they are still in free fall for depreciation I'd wait a while I think 

^ it's hard to see past that at the moment given its the only 6 pot petrol in the entire 5 Series range. What else out there is petrol and (biased) rear wheel drive, that isn't a Jaaaag or a Merc or a dull Lexus?

I wonder if the G30/1 will have rust on their doors, tailgates, rear anti roll bars though.  ;)

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^ it's hard to see past that at the moment given its the only 6 pot petrol in the entire 5 Series range. What else out there is petrol and (biased) rear wheel drive, that isn't a Jaaaag or a Merc or a dull Lexus?

I wonder if the G30/1 will have rust on their doors, tailgates, rear anti roll bars though.  ;)

Alfa Giulia, Kia Stinger. Toyota GT86 or Mazda MX-5 for some affordable sporty stuff. 

9 hours ago, AndyM said:

Alfa Giulia, Kia Stinger. Toyota GT86 or Mazda MX-5 for some affordable sporty stuff. 

The only one there worth consideration is the Kia but it’s not a bonnie looking car though.

I have seen one though. Only 1,000 in the UK. Still it’s more common than either of my last three BMWs. 

But it I bet the Kia dealers would be far easier to deal with in the event of bodywork corrosion though!

I have an MX5 (NC) and they are brilliant drivers cars. Light, perky enough and after driving the 5 during the week the MX5 brings a smile to my face :)