Cadwell Parker

Replacing F11 Microfilters, the hardest part.

I recently changed the cabin filters in my F11. I refered to Newtis and posts elsewhere on here for guidance but found the most problematic aspect of the job for me was not mentioned anywhere so thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is having the same difficulties.

Removing the trim panel on the side of the transmission tunnel was the part I struggled with for a while. The instructions I'd read said after removing the Torx screw at the front of the panel I should be able to slide the panel forward and remove it. In fact there are two green plastic fixings behind the panel on my car which I'd not seen mentioned anywhere

20190814-125304.jpg

which needed to be pulled from their locating holes before the panel would slide forward to clear the fixing tabs further back.

20190814-125317.jpg

After messing around for a while trying to be careful to avoid breaking anything and getting increasingly annoyed with the stubborn trim which was refusing to move as described I must've pulled it in just the right way to separate  the fixings. Then it was clear what had been holding things back and the job was easy from there on. If you can get your fingers in behind the trim a good sharp pull should separate the fixings, hopefully without breaking anything else :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Good one, its these bits of info that I found were always missing from Haynes manuals

Who uses a Haynes manual on these cars? Random, when you have ISTA based Newtis.info. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

28 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Who uses a Haynes manual on these cars? Random, when you have ISTA based Newtis.info

To quote from Newtis instructions for removing the trim...

"Release screw (3) and remove carpet cover (4) towards front".

I had a mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier for my first car in 1984. I had a Haynes manual for it. Times were much simpler back then.

Newtis is good but it seems we still need to read between the lines. 

Edited by Cadwell Parker

7 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Definitely. NEWTIS isn't a dummies guide, it is developed for trained BMW Technicians (Que others for the technician dummy rhetoric) . For the likes of the cover you refer to, you only need to do it once to understand it clips off and slides out. The technicians will be doing this 5 times a day as they service the cars. 

On 8/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, Cadwell Parker said:

Hah, you should be grateful for that anyway, as I've got a VX220 and the TIS for that is laughably condensed, newTIS is more comprehensive in comparison! 

Here's an example on how to remove and reinstall the front calipers on the VX220.  Compare to the TIS for my F11.

Edited by Eddles