Sign in to follow this  
Martinjohnstone

F11530d running hot?

My question is should a 530d oil temp ever go over 100oC? Mine seems to be creeping above on the motorway. Is this normal?

So i've just bought a 2016 F11 530d with 100K miles on the clock. On test drive when i purchased it, all seemed good, and drove it home 400 miles no worries. I've just sold a 2011 F11 520d (with 160k on clock) which it has replaced, however both cars seem to share a common problem i think. 

For majority of its life the 520d would get up to temperature and the oil temp gauge would sit resolutely at 100oC and once there would never shift. However in the past 6 months or so it would start to creep just over midway once on motorway. With couple of bikes on roof it would creep well out of midway. It would come back down to about 100oC ish on downhills, when idling etc. I mentioned this to a mechanic before I sold it and he gave me the stock 'they all do that mate' answer, and as I was selling I didn't take it any further. Car didn't use any water and the resevoir was always full. 

The 530d I've bough started to do the same on commute home tonight.... temp crept just above centre... this is gentle cruising on m'way (up a gentle hill). I know that when DPF goes into regen mode the temp can creep up, so what is it that could be causing this, and is it 'expected' behaviour??! Any answers greatly appreciated before I have to start getting garages involved.

The car has got a 3 month AA warranty through the dealer I bought car, so if it is a problem i'd like to get it fixed on warranty if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

I've only ever seen my 530d go above half way once - that was on a very long climb on the A75 in the south of France in 35c temperatures with a loaded up car.

I was doing national speed limit and just backed off 10mph and it quickly dropped back to the half way point.

Edited by shauney
additional info

General rule is BMW engine temps (regardless of fuel type or oil or water gauges) never go beyond halfway on the temp gauges. I've never driven one that had the temp needle moved beyond vertical, it was only when really pushing on in my dads F10 530d did I get its needle to near vertical.

If you have a warranty it might be worth getting a garage to look over it including reading fault codes if it helps put your mind at ease.

I don't think its anything necessarily to worry about right now.  Keep an eye on it and if it moves much beyond vertical hook up some diagnostic software to it to see what the actual temps are.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

hook up some diagnostic software to it to see what the actual temps are.

There's always the secret menu display on the dashboard which shows actual temps for oil and coolant but maybe diagnostics would be more accurate still. 

I've seen my oil temp up to 102 degrees once or twice when the engine was working hard but no more than that and it soon dropped again. The needle on the gauge was very slightly past vertical but if I hadn't seen the digital readout I doubt I'd have noticed it.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I thought i'd just replied to this, but seems to have gone, will try again.

Took the car for an 'enthusiastic' drive today and after a while the temp needle did creep above the centre line and stay there. After enthusiastic drive i let car cool for 30 mins and then went for another more gentle run and it seemed to stay just at limit of centre.Odd thing is on long drive home from dealer the other day it stayed within the centre zone, however on motorway back from work yesterday it went above centre even though cruising. Odd that it is inconsistent. 

Only thing i've noticed is a very slight whining from engine - perhaps it could be the water pump? I've read that the thermostats in these engines fail open, so I'm presuming it unlikely to be thermostat unless it has failed part-open and is constricting water flow? The car seems to get up to temp reasonably quickly. 

As suggested i'll try using the secret menu and keep an eye on actual water temps.

I'm thinking of taking it to a BMW dealer for diagnosis and then get an indie to fix it, doubt the AA warranty will cover BMW prices :)

Thanks again for your help. 

Cheers

Martin.

PS what a machine the 530d is ... had me laughing out loud today! That thing can chase racing pigeons and I got 50mpg on way back from dealer :) Turns out the car is also fitted with VDC just dealer didn't realise so I can flip between lounge mode and laugh out loud mode. Awesome. 

6 minutes ago, Martinjohnstone said:

PS what a machine the 530d is

It certainly is. They can move surprisingly quickly for such a big car when given sufficient encouragement. 

7 minutes ago, Martinjohnstone said:

Turns out the car is also fitted with VDC

Mine too. I love the contrast between those modes. It makes you appreciate the speed and smoothness all the more when you can swap between both ends of the spectrum at the flick of a switch.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it despite the gremilns. Might be worth keeping an eye on the secret temp gauge on the dash to see what the coolant is doing.

Ok so a wee update, think I've worked it out. I've run the car for couple of days with the secret menu as suggested showing temp and the oil temp sits at exactly 100oC most of the time. The water temp seems to hover around 90oC ish on the motorway. It does fluctuate a bit. Temp doesn't seem to drop below 88oC so hopefully means thermostats are working. 

I gave the car a good shoeing up a long hill tonight and the oil temp did reach 104oC for a minute or so but dropped back down. 

What I did notice though is the needle moved well off the centre zone , and then didn't properly return to the centre, so it looked like it was running hot, but was infact fine. 

Hoping this is problem solved, so thanks again for your help @Cadwell Parker and @535i Andrew

Cheers Martin 

30 minutes ago, Martinjohnstone said:

Hoping this is problem solved

That's good to hear.  Sounds like your car is behaving more or less the same as mine temperature wise. The water temp does tend to fluctuate quite a bit. Maybe you just have a sticky needle on the oil temp gauge.