Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blobbs

Winter wheels/tyres

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Blobbs said:

Hello, any advice on cheap winter wheels to put winter tyres on? I live in Scotland... Can't find any 5x112 8j with an offset to match. Cheers


Go to Realoem and get the part number for the winter wheel combination for your specific car and pop that part number into eBay and see if there are 2nd hand wheel offers there. 
 

What options does your car have? If you have MSport brakes I.e. blue callipers then I think you have to have a minimum of 18” wheels. REALOEM will also give you the correct offset for your wheel/car combination. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:


Depends on the model. If the OP has a Gxx car then PCD= 112 is correct. For the previous Fxx and prior cars it is PCD = 120. 

 

Agreed.

 

He has a G30 530d xDrive so definitely wants 112.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blobbs said:

Hello, any advice on cheap winter wheels to put winter tyres on? I live in Scotland... Can't find any 5x112 8j with an offset to match. Cheers

 

Might be worth checking aftermarket wheel companies to see if they have a set of alloys that match what you need; we all know OEM BMW alloys will be extortionate, unless you want/need to keep them BMW

 

Wheelbase, Rimstyle, BMAutosport are the ones that spring to mind initially

 

Obviously you need to ensure they'll clear your calipers and yes, make sure they're 5x112 PCD too :) 

 

As for tyres; Camskill and Tyreleader generally offer the best prices, you just need to get them fitted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blobbs said:

Many thanks guys, I do have the MSport calipers. Will check REALOEM. Much appreciated.

"Standard" wheels will fit over the M Sport calipers (despite what my dealer said); it is only the M Sport Performance calipers (red not blue) that need larger diameter wheels (20"?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mr H said:

"Standard" wheels will fit over the M Sport calipers (despite what my dealer said); it is only the M Sport Performance calipers (red not blue) that need larger diameter wheels (20"?)

 

Define "Standard". Without MSPort (Blue) calipers the car will accept 17" rims and with Msport I think you need at least 18" rims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Define "Standard". Without MSPort (Blue) calipers the car will accept 17" rims and with Msport I think you need at least 18" rims.

"Standard" i.e. as supplied fitted to MSport (19"?) ................. But 18" will fit and have the advantage over the 19s by being same width front and back and so can be rotated to even out wear.

Edited by Mr H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr H said:

"Standard" i.e. as supplied fitted to MSport (19"?) ................. But 18" will fit and have the advantage over the 19s by being same width front and back and so can be rotated to even out wear.

My car is M Sport (not the brakes) and has 18” staggered wheels as standard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 23:09, ally said:

My car is M Sport (not the brakes) and has 18” staggered wheels as standard. 

Interesting; wasn't aware of that option when I "configurated" mine .................

 

Edited 20 Aug 19: I've just realised that 18" wheels are not an option when ordering the 540i even though they will fit. Apologies if I've caused any confusion.:wacko:

Edited by Mr H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 inch wheels (non staggered) are the official BMW recommendation for the 5 with m sport brakes (the blue ones) I have a set of 619 style wheels for winter. Try the bay of E - search for 18" g30 winter wheels. I paid around £1450 for a brand new set with new tyres from Germany which were £2300 from BMW in the UK 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hurly_Dog said:

18 inch wheels (non staggered) are the official BMW recommendation for the 5 with m sport brakes (the blue ones) I have a set of 619 style wheels for winter. Try the bay of E - search for 18" g30 winter wheels. I paid around £1450 for a brand new set with new tyres from Germany which were £2300 from BMW in the UK 

Agreed; my dealer seemed keen to push 19" staggered (to the extent they said 18s wouldn't fit!) - wouldn't have anything to do with 19s being a lot more expensive (to buy and replace tyres) would it?? ;) I ended up going for the 662M in black.

 

Also agreed on importing if you can; I've done it before and had really good service from German dealers. Unfortunately, this time round I couldn't find any that were significantly cheaper than those offered by BMW UK :rolleyes: Also, watch out for £ prices creeping up due to £ dropping against Euro ............. If you decide to stick with UK supplier, this place doesn't seem too bad: https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels/5_series_g31_touring_estate_alloys/f/18/all/all/all/price_asc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased a set of staggered 664 in black with winter pirelli sottozero from Germany last year for around £2200 delivered. 

I know the £ has collapsed now, but thought that was a good deal at the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

Bought a user set on Werksraeder24.de - that was the best offer I could find. 18” with Michelin winters on them, around 6mm left on the tires. Was around €1000 delivered. 

 

 

Perfect, and they look good on the car too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting I was looking into this myself and emailed my dealer, he offered £330 per front and £550 per rear for winter tyres, so he’s suggesting I fit 20 inch winter tyres .. no thanks lol.

 

An another option is MrWinter wheels do sets of borbet (Manufacture of Gen BMW alloys)  in silver or black at the right offset of ET30 for £519 /£529 for 18 Inch, unfortunately you need to add £160 for TPMS and then £650 for Michelin cross climates Plus XL  245/45/18R which personally very highly rate, they are summer tyres with winter capability, won loads of awards and on my RWD F10 let me drive threw snow that people in 4x4 where stuck in... they also gripped amazing on the hottest day on record in NI .. they do it all lol.

 

During a bad snow day, my bro in laws FWD mondeo got stuck, he asked me to try and on his good year tyres ..I couldn’t even get it to move, just swung the front side to side.. on the flat, I jumped in my RDW F10 parked beside him and just drove away... no spinning and straight up a hill on cross climates.

 

My issue with Full winters is they aren’t great on the dry which we get more off than Snow here in the Uk. Where as the cross climates are pretty much the same on dry as your normal premium summer tyres and I’ve seen first hand they are good on the snow, of course they are more get me home snow tyre than let’s go exploring and won’t be as good in very deep snow as a full winter tyre, but I like I can run them right out to April as surprisingly March / April is when we get surprise snow .. but the temp for most days is well above 7c so the full winters tyres are struggling.

Edited by Jonny2400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

Interesting I was looking into this myself and emailed my dealer, he offered £330 per front and £550 per rear for winter tyres, so he’s suggesting I fit 20 inch winter tyres .. no thanks lol.

 

An another option is MrWinter wheels do sets of borbet (Manufacture of Gen BMW alloys)  in silver or black at the right offset of ET30 for £519 /£529 for 18 Inch, unfortunately you need to add £160 for TPMS and then £650 for Michelin cross climates Plus XL  245/45/18R which personally very highly rate, they are summer tyres with winter capability, won loads of awards and on my RWD F10 let me drive threw snow that people in 4x4 where stuck in... they also gripped amazing on the hottest day on record in NI .. they do it all lol.

 

Why specify pseudo winter tyres when purchasing a 2nd set of wheels for winter? A dedicated winter setup is a much better proposition. I’m not having a go at Cross Climates as, from what I’ve read, they are a good compromise tyre for summer and winter conditions when you only have the option of one set of wheels. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well for the points raised above, winter tyres are great during really cold weather, which isn’t something we get much off in the UK.

 

Our average temp is 14c in October, 9.4c in November and 7.4c in December, so only Jan/ feb  has an average temperature below 7c at 6.4 & 6.6c as it’s back up to 9.3 in March.

 

Using winter tyres above 7c increases your risk of an accident, as, the breaking distance is much greater .. even the “gold standard” Continental WinterContact dry breaking distance is almost 23 meters ( 5 car lengths !) longer than a Continental Sport Contact5 summer tyre.

 

More over a recent test done by autocar states they found in real life that summer tyres only actually really start to fail below 5c, due to improvements in tyre design during the last 30 years, when the below 7c was first coined, and as stated above the Uk on average doesn’t have ANY months below 5c average. Therefore a good summer tyre with winter capacities during the odd very cold weather and snow days makes much more sense for UK drivers.

 

Why a second set of wheels ?

 

Well most G30 owners have 19/ 20 inch rims and you can’t get highly rated all season tyres bigger than 18 inch... even people with standard M sport 18 inch miss out as the rears require 275/40/18 while most all weather tyres only come in 245 width, not to mention the roads tend to be in poorer condition during winter with pot holes etc meaning a smaller wheel with higher tyre height can provide a more comfortable ride.

 

So an all season tyre over winter and summer tyres in summer, will provide the best safety for the bulk of UK drivers, apart from maybe those up in the high lands. 

Edited by Jonny2400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

Using winter tyres above 7c increases your risk of crashing as, the breaking distance is much greater .. even the “gold standard” Continental WinterContact dry breaking distance is almost 23 meters ( 5 car lengths !) longer than a Continental Sport Contact5 summer tyre.

 

I hear your reasoning behind the size of available Cross Climates at 18" vs 19 and 20" wheels and the fact that in the UK the temps rarely go below 7 degrees C especially down south.

 

I don't buy it that the braking distance is so much greater so an increase risk of "crashing" that's a little extreme and a bit of scaremongering. 5 to 8 metres or so maybe (at 10 - 15 degrees C) but not 5 car lengths. The opposite will be true for summer tyres below 5 degrees (I give you that rubber compounds are getting better so that may be closer to 0 degrees).

 

There is nothing like a real world experience which I have personally with my set of 647M 19" Winter wheels and Tyres on the G32 that I used from December to March '19 - bought specifically for my trips to the Alps. I drove long distances in up to 10 - 12 degree C temps and at no point did the car feel unsafe nor was my braking noticeably affected and it is one huge and heavy car.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

 

I hear your reasoning behind the size of available Cross Climates at 18" vs 19 and 20" wheels and the fact that in the UK the temps rarely go below 7 degrees C especially down south.

 

I don't buy it that the braking distance is so much greater so an increase risk of "crashing" that's a little extreme and a bit of scaremongering. 5 to 8 metres or so maybe (at 10 - 15 degrees C) but not 5 car lengths. The opposite will be true for summer tyres below 5 degrees (I give you that rubber compounds are getting better so that may be closer to 0 degrees).

 

There is nothing like a real world experience which I have personally with my set of 647M 19" Winter wheels and Tyres on the G32 that I used from December to March '19 - bought specifically for my trips to the Alps. I drove long distances in up to 10 - 12 degree C temps and at no point did the car feel unsafe nor was my braking noticeably affected and it is one huge and heavy car.  

 

 

 

If I was in the  driving in the Alps , I would definitely want the full winter wheel set up, just like you had, I would say that many people who drive with cheap budget  tyres also “no point feel unsafe” either as generally tyres are fit for purpose .. but even just check the huge braking distance variable between likes of a Michelin Sport Plus and a non branded tyre.

 

The braking distances have have been taken from their dry braking results on tyre reviews.co.uk .. I was surprised too at the size of the distance, in fairness they don’t state the car tested on as weight could have been a factor too etc. I also freely admit that CrossClimate aren’t as good as premium summer either in the Dry either. 

 

Another mild example. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is 35 meters and the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 is 46.5 meters braking in the dry, over 10 meter difference.  

 

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Sport-Auto-Winter-Tyre-Test-225-40-18.htm

 

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Edited by Jonny2400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

 

If I was in the  driving in the Alps , I would definitely want the full winter wheel set up, just like you had, I would say that many people who drive with cheap budget  tyres also “no point feel unsafe” either as generally tyres are fit for purpose .. but even just check the huge braking distance variable between likes of a Michelin Sport Plus and a non branded tyre.

 

I agree but then I frown on anyone scrimping on tyre quality. I have BridgeStone Blizzak RFT WInters and Pirelli P Zero RFT 20" Summers. These are not comparable to cheap budget tyres and any testing should be done with similar quality tyres.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

I agree but then I frown on anyone scrimping on tyre quality. I have BridgeStone Blizzak RFT WInters and Pirelli P Zero RFT 20" Summers. These are not comparable to cheap budget tyres and any testing should be done with similar quality tyres.  

 

100% with you there, it’s the only thing keeping you on the road. Both of your sets are excellent choices, am running Good Year Eagle As3 which performance wise I can’t complain about .. apart from they love a side wall bubble or two lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×