Sign in to follow this  
graham73

E39 528i Sluggish and NOT Kicking Down

Hi Guys,

My E39 528i feels gutless, slow and sluggish through the gears (especially on an incline) and does not kick down (unless on a decline)

I recently had a new throttle cable fitted which has improved it slightly but not significantly, I am comparing it to an E39 530D (which I know is torqia and has more grunt) but never the less. Someone mentioned the kick down switch under the peddle which may fix the kick down but I don't think will remedy the sluggish performance prior to being able to kick down.

Please guys - any thoughts ideas or suggestions most welcome - and it may be that it is just the limitations which is fine but just want to know.

Thanks so much

Graham

Hi Graham 

What about servicing the car, when was the last time the plugs were changed or fuel filtered was replaced. For some these could be very minor things but they make a huge difference, especially if not changed for a very prolonged periods. 

In addition my first call would be to get the car checked on diagnostic to see if there is any codes stored, which may give us a hint for sluggish performance. Take it from there. 

Regards 

I’d read it for fault codes first. 

Try unplugging the maf sensor too. If bad unplugging it means it reverts to a default which is better than a failed maf. 

As already mentioned; unplug the MAF and see how it runs.

Also; check the air intake boots from the MAF to the throttle body and see if there are any cracks/splits. If it's taking air in after the MAF it'll be running lean and it won't like that

Definitely get the codes read; the plug is under the bonnet on your car, so you'll need a decent indy garage that's got a good code reader ideally, or INPA on a laptop and the necessary cables (ask on here and see if anyone is local to you)!

Wondering if this could be cam/crank sensor related also?

10 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Wondering if this could be cam/crank sensor related also?

Sounds very much like a bad cam sensor to me.

19 minutes ago, graham73 said:

Thanks Guys - could you recommend the best place to buy the cam shaft position sensor online - I have had a look on youtube and replacing seems fairly straight forward.

Thanks

Graham

Buy via Cotswold BMW who are on these forums; with sensors like this, you need to stick with OEM and not aftermarket. Same with crank/MAF etc. Ask on their section of this forum or give them a call; their numbers in there also

However, before you buy, have you had the codes read and is it the cam sensor that's causing issues, or are you buying it to see if that makes a difference?

On 20/08/2019 at 18:22, graham73 said:

Just had the code read and it is MAF fault so will order and replace 

Thanks guys - saved me so much time and money

This is why you should always read the codes before throwing money at it changing parts. :)