ger

Original bmw towbar wiring diagram / fitting instructions

Does anyone happen to have the bmw instructions for fitting the oem towbar, specifically the wiring and any coding requirements. 

My brother has just got a towbar, with a bmw module but it hasn't got any instructions. Just wondeting if anyone has a pdf they could share. 

Thanks.

No worries, it will need coding by adding it to the VO and default coding the car. If it tows anything with LED lights you will need to code out the checks or run the retrofit in ISTA-P

If he needs a new plug housing let me know as I somehow managed to buy 2 :lol:

Interesting that the genuine BMW aftermarket towbar needs its wiring coded to the chassis. It's a rebadged Westfalia towbar but with a BMW made electrics. The Westfalia aftermarket electrical kit is plug and play.  Thats what I have fitted to an F10 and made up a bypass kit for the towbar I fitted to my E60. 

5 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

If it tows anything with LED lights you will need to code out the checks or run the retrofit in ISTA-P

If he needs a new plug housing let me know as I somehow managed to buy 2 :lol:

That's very intriguing as my F10 with a factory fit swivelling towbar can't cope with LEDs, but the Westfalia electrical kit which is the same on both E60 and F10 can cope with LEDs on the towed item. I have a brand new trailer module in mine and still no joy on LEDs on my dad's caravan. One other F11 owner on here had a BMW electrical kit and it could not cope with LEDs and I believe the solution was to retro fit a Westfalia electrical kit. 

Difference is both will plug and play quite happily but coding in the BMW module allows specific options such as the LED retrofit or as we know it on the LM coding out the hot and cold checks. Westfalia moaned with my 13 pin electrics that I had no fog light fitted, BMW electrics is happy ignoring the lack of circuit. This is why I upgraded to BMW from the Westfalia it came with.

51 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Westfalia moaned with my 13 pin electrics that I had no fog light fitted, BMW electrics is happy ignoring the lack of circuit. This is why I upgraded to BMW from the Westfalia it came with.

Yes the Westfalia module detects the electrical resistance of a 21W bulb wired in the trailer fog light circuit. Their instructions are quite clear on that. If must have a fog light fitted. I fitted a 50W resistor to my trailer (across the fog light circuit) so my dads F10 with Westfalia electrics could cope with the trailer which didn't have a fog light. 

*sorry thread hijack* 

BMW electrics in mine will happily work without a fog. Just not with sodding LEDs (Hyperflash and loads of errors of trailer bulb failure) Do you know if my trailer module can be coded to adjust the monitoring?

But then presumably you wouldn't get warning of a bulb failure? 

11 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes the Westfalia module detects the electrical resistance of a 21W bulb wired in the trailer fog light circuit. Their instructions are quite clear on that. If must have a fog light fitted. I fitted a 50W resistor to my trailer (across the fog light circuit) so my dads F10 with Westfalia electrics could cope with the trailer which didn't have a fog light. 

*sorry thread hijack* 

BMW electrics in mine will happily work without a fog. Just not with sodding LEDs (Hyperflash and loads of errors of trailer bulb failure) Do you know if my trailer module can be coded to adjust the monitoring?

But then presumably you wouldn't get warning of a bulb failure? 

The E60 can't detect LED faults, it's obvious when you look at the LM config for LCI where the checks on the rear indicators are turned off.

This is part of the config file that you can tinker with, or let ISTA-P do it

image.thumb.png.e364daaa27e904256cfe15010e4bdd23.png

Edited by GoNz0

37 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

This is the equipment you need to add in FA list and then code LM.

KLED LED_AHM //Nachruestung LED Leuchten für Anhänger

And off course for the towing hitch $235.

So it's only the LM that needs coding?

I'd have thought that another module would have needed coding too. Not up on tge e60/61 module names, but isn't there a body module, possibly the ccc, rear airbag control unit, abs/dsc??

Not entirely keen on doing the whole car, doesn't this take ages?

One thing I could do is read my whole car (I'm sure i saw an instruction in ncse, can't remember now) and read my brother's car and compare both, other than the hud, the only other difference should be the the trailer settings - both cars are virtually identical and only about 11days between them!

The AHM (trailer) modules the one that gets coded, the light module and another one or 2 flagged up when I looked in ISTA-P but it only had the retrofit for the swiveling head so it moaned it wasn't there. In the end I added the right code to the VO in NCS and did the defaut code the LM (that also tells the CAS) and that took under a minute m8. http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-to-modify-vo-vehicle-order/

1 hour ago, ger said:

So it's only the LM that needs coding?

I'd have thought that another module would have needed coding too. Not up on tge e60/61 module names, but isn't there a body module, possibly the ccc, rear airbag control unit, abs/dsc??

Not entirely keen on doing the whole car, doesn't this take ages?

One thing I could do is read my whole car (I'm sure i saw an instruction in ncse, can't remember now) and read my brother's car and compare both, other than the hud, the only other difference should be the the trailer settings - both cars are virtually identical and only about 11days between them!

I was only talking about that KLED feature when talking about only LM needed coding. Better to code all modules when you add 235. It doesn't take that much time with NCS.