Sign in to follow this  
arron9999

Steering rack what do I have/do

Hi all, I have a e61 535d 2008 and I'm having steering issues that I think are related to the steering rack. 

The problems I have to start with is a fluid leak, I have checked all the hoses and in the boots and they are dry I think its leaking from where the colum joins to the rack.

2nd is that at speed the car feels very uneasy and there seems to be plau in the steering, all control arms, track rods both inner and outer, hubs shocks and too mounts have all be replaced. 

Lastly today when turning the wheel to the right there is a metalic "Ting" sound its loud, I haven't had chance to get under it and have someone move the wheel while I listen but can only think of the rack. 

I have also re torque the star bolts on the colum where it meets the steering wheel and the rack. 

Due to these faults I think its time to look for a replacment rack, however I'm not sure what one I have, and searching via real oem proves to be  no help. I think it's just the standard on but due to having sports transmission it firms up the steering so not sure if this affects it. 

Any help to any of these issues much appreciated. 

Arron

Edited by arron9999

Hi Arron. I have had a continuous instability issue on mine for over a year. I have replaced many suspect parts, shocks, tyres, control arms, tie rods (inner and outer), top mounts, gearbox mounts, engine mounts, several alignments etc.  My steering rack was clicking and I thought it must be that at fault. I lubricated the rack by moving the rubber gators and spraying lithium grease inside. No more noise or clicking. My mates 2009 steering rack also makes a clicking noise and he doesn't have any issues. How is your car at slow speeds over bumps?

Edited by San75

At slow speeds it handles fine but does sound like there is a knock somewhere, I cant for the life of me think where though as it's all new nearly. I have had the car 2.5 years and it's always been like that, it could just be the fact its m sport and it's a really firm ride. It's my first e60 so nothing to compare to.  

The E60 does have a rough ride on bumpy roads. Have you changed your drop links? Mine seemed fine when inspecting by hand, under stress from the sway bar I am sure they were no had a slight knock/click on mine so I replaced both of them.

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but did the clicking noise sound like the file I have uploaded?  I only have this noise on right hand lock. I don’t have any vagueness in the steering though. 

If you have active steering you have the larger reservoir that takes chf fluid. The sport button doesn’t mean you have active steering. Standard rack has the normal smaller reservoir I believe. 

Sounds stupid but do you have decent tyres with correct pressures? 

Cheers

15 minutes ago, 535dean said:

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but did the clicking noise sound like the file I have uploaded?  I only have this noise on right hand lock. I don’t have any vagueness in the steering though. 

If you have active steering you have the larger reservoir that takes chf fluid. The sport button doesn’t mean you have active steering. Standard rack has the normal smaller reservoir I believe. 

Sounds stupid but do you have decent tyres with correct pressures? 

Cheers

BB5D7E0F-6247-4712-BD11-DD648D118CAC.MOV

Hey yeh it sounds very similar to that noise.

I do use chf it says it in the cap but thought they all did. Tyres are up to pressure and have be changed also while having the instability with no difference made. 

Edited by arron9999